NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

"Childhood" memories?

kpflynn

Maybe I'm just anthropomorphizing, but I think my bird misses being a baby. She's 13 months old seems happy and very well adjusted. She doesn't care much for raw vegetables but if they're cooked and slightly warm she almost swallows them whole. It's the same with oatmeal. I wonder if she can remember being fed warm food as a baby? Also, we were watching some video of African greys on TV. She seemed very disinterested until we watched one of some baby greys making baby noises. She was fixated to the TV. Maybe it's just instinctual but it almost seems like she has memories of being a little fledgling.

I agree, she is still a baby. If you live 50 - 70 years you are a baby for at least 3. I fed my 'baby' an evening meal of warm foods well into his 2nd year. They still enjoy one on cold winter nights now at age 10 and 8. Slightly cooked and warm veggies are fine and she may enjoy them that way the rest of her life.

As they live very old.... whether a baby is six months, two , five, or twelve, like Sophie, they are young. While Sophie, now 12, will eat fruits and veggies, and we are past the " throwing them at the walls stage"... Sunday,she wanted everything to be " about her." Head bobbing, trying to feed me, wanting me to give her something. It was " all about Sophie!" I don't interpret this as sexual, as some do. It was about Sophie, knowing I am her mama, and she just wanted to be my baby. It was all about her, and I just satisfied her needs. She had a GREAT day...Nancy

From what I've read, some greys still want actual formula feedings well after they're fledglings. And it seems like most parrots who eat food, tend to gravitate to warm, mushy stuff like oatmeal, mashed veggies, etc because it is comfort food for them. It's not your imagination.

The nice thing for you is that it hopefully gives you an advantage w/new foods. Also some foods like carrots & sweet potatoes are actually a little more nutritious when they're steamed a bit because it unlocks certain nutrients for easier digestion. So this is all good! :cool: