NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Food Question

alex2014

Today I bought a potato, spinach, collaflower and some corn on the cob , to keep trying different veggies. Alex will eat carrots and squash so far. Rocco won't eat either of those.

So do I cook these veggies and potato first? The carrots and squash I don't cook. Is it ok to cut the corn into chunks and leave it on the cob?

Always cook potatoes before serving them and my suggestion is to try the same vegetables raw and cooked, sometimes they prefer certain ones cooked, you just have to keep experimenting to find their favorites but do offer a lot of leafy green types like kale, collards, swiss chard, mustard or beet tops, they pack a lot of nutrition.

You do it however they will eat it. I chop some up fine and mix with other things I know he will eat. A type of "chop" which you can find here on the forum if you use the search. I also thread big pieces through his cage bars or stick them on the skewer with other things. This has only moderate success. You just need to keep playing with it until you find a way to sneak them in if your bird doesn't like them (mine doesn't particularly). I will mix chopped spinach in his birdie bread, scrambled egg, etc. etc.

FYI I am addressing greens here...

Edited by Timbersmom

Never eVer let your fids eat raw potatoes or raw potatoe skins, they are toxic to them. I cook my corn on the cob and cut it into smaller pieces for them to hold. Just keep trying, it can take a while and sometimes it depends on their 'mood'..

Sophie eats and tries anything I can cook.If I can eat it, so can Sophie.As I try to always lose weight, I always think healthy. I'm not a great cook, but Sophie thinks I'm amazing! Think smart. Of course they should not have sauce when doing italian. Always offer veggies... they tend to throw them against the wall, be consistent! Nancy

Better yet, only feed your birds organic fruits and vegetables. You would be shocked to see the different kinds, and amounts, of herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides applied to typical crops. Also, the common use of systemic pesticides makes it IMPOSSIBLE to wash off the pesticide.

• 3 weeks later...
Sophie eats and tries anything I can cook.If I can eat it, so can Sophie.As I try to always lose weight, I always think healthy. I'm not a great cook, but Sophie thinks I'm amazing! Think smart. Of course they should not have sauce when doing italian. Always offer veggies... they tend to throw them against the wall, be consistent! Nancy

spaghetti, macaroni, cavatelli, ignocchi and other pastas with Tomato Sauce are very good for greys and other parrots.

Oh! That changes things! I was told never to give spaghetti sauce to a bird. Sophie's favorite is italian! I make a mean lazagna! I always have given her a piece and removed the sauce. She is in heaven. She loves all meat, but chicken is her favorite. Sophie is easy to please... if we like it, so does Sophie Nancy