NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flying Amazons

Talon

To anyone here who had ever had the fun of an amazon in their life:

Since Nilah is the only amazon I have ever been around, I am wondering if other amazons fly as "gracefully" as she does? Actually, she loves to fly, but she flies like a missile fired out of a rocket ship. When she sets up to fly, watch out, if you are in her line of flight, you better duck, or it's gonna hurt and hurt bad if she hits you!

Im curious if others are as graceful in flight and can maneuver as easily as she can! LOL

My greys of course are light, graceful and can twist and turn ever so easily and they land so softly, Nilah on the other hand, we she comes if or a landing, it hard and heavy in a clumsy sort of way. It's kind of like a thud!!

Crickets choice of travel was not by air but by foot.

She would fly now and than, but for the most part she would walk and or climb.

When Cricket came to us she was very over weight and was kept in a very small cage.

It was after we changed her diet and she lost a lot of her weight that she would fly at all.

From time to time she would fly a lot for a day or two and than go back to walking or I would take her to where ever she wanted to go.

For the most part it was Hay TAXI and I would come to her rescue.

The cage she came with was 16wx16dx24t no room to flap her wings.

We did a upgrade with a larger cage until she got her big cage a month later.

Edited by Ray P

That's really interesting. Of course Nilah does enjoy climbing and she does love to walk or I should say RUN on the floor chasing the dogs or cats....but she does fly from place To place. I wonder if it's because I don't sit a lot, I'm always up doing things and she has to fly to keep up with me?

I think it`s because Cricket was confined to a small cage for so many years and was out of shape and over weight that she never flue much.

When she came here I would do every thing for her so she never had to fly.

Louie, my zon has never been clipped. He is a great flyer and never walks anywhere. Frankly all my parrots prefer to fly and never walk anywhere. Louie likes to fly onto my shoulder and nibble my ear so I just flip him off. Louie does like to follow me from room to room. He gracefully flies from one place to another. I love to listen to the flapping of parrot wings. From his cage down the hall to the kitchen and living room in one swoop/takeoff. Absolutely priceless.