NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Wellness check?

Michellec

I scheduled Nalas first wellness check. She is 14 months old and beautiful...happy. The closest avian vet is a 7 hour round trip drive. CSU Teaching Veterinary Hospital.

I have read that annual checks are recommended.

I am concerned the trip, stress, and exposure to sick birds (there will be some at a teaching hospital?) will do more harm than good.

Am I being unreasonable with these worries?

There is a vet in the same town we got Nala from and is the vet that the bird speciality shop uses but is not certified avian. However he serves all the birds in the area. Would this be ok for her first wellness check?

Need some advice. I hope I presented my thoughts clearly.

Michelle

If your vet is very familiar in working with birds, then I would be confident in using them. My 'bird vet' isn't avian certified, but has his own birds including an African grey at home and is the "go to" vet for birds in my area. I feel very confident in talking with him over the years regarding his bird knowledge. My nearest avian vet is hours away and I don't feel it necessary to put my birds thru that kind of a trip. SO if you feel confident, then I say don't worry about the "certification"

I am in a rural area and do not have access to an avian certified vet. Like you, we have a vet who sees birds (several of them from what I've seen in the office). I feel confident in taking Timber there for "well bird" checks. If Timber were to be ill or I had serious concerns about him, I would probably make the trip. My vet has indicated that she knows her limits, and would be the first to send me to an avian vet if she thought it was warranted.

Hi Michelle, have you checked out Cheyenne?

http://www.broadmooreast.com/our-doctors.pml

Not knowing what part of the state you're in, I'm assuming that if you have to go to Ft. Collins, that going to Cheyenne might shave an hour coming and going off of your trip.

Oh my gosh! Cheyenne would be awesome! I didn't know there was an avian vet there!

• 2 months later...

Having an Avian certified Veterinarian examine your bird take a fecal sample and some basic blood work to get an idea of your pets base line of good health and avoid any hidden health challenges. In other words not waiting until you have a sick or injured bird.

Go to local vet! Mine have an avian vet, have been there once for " wellness" check.

Less exposure to other birds and animals, is good, is my motto! My birds have been to Avian vet once for wellness check, a decade ago. Healthy, don't need to go back.I get " reminders", that my birds are do for a " healthy visit!" NOT going to happen, if they are acting healthy. They get weighed and trimmed by my trimmer. He knows I am obsessive regarding " hand cleaning". I want them in, and out!

Kids know I am obsessive about " clean hands". I am not obsessive about birds being exposed to natural germs. Just wash your hands, before handling birds. I don't think I ask for much! Soap and water goes a long way. Nancy

Guys please tell me that what is a wellness check and how do you go about making it happen?

I am waiting for your replies here,.

Orange County Fitness

It is recommended that you get a wellness check at least once a year for your African Grey. In Orange County there are surely many avian certified veterinarians to choose from. I just took Gracie my CAG for a wellness check. The Vet weighed her, listened to her heart and lungs, looked at her eyes, beak, and nares (nostrils) and took a blood sample for testing. She didn't take a fecal sample. I'm not sure if that is routine or not. Maybe I should request it next time. The cost isn't cheap. I paid about $150 for the check up. That is Oklahoma prices. I would guess Orange County might be twice that cost.

I can take my bird to trimmer...he weighs her, checks out her nails and beak and generalized health. I don;t need to go to a vet yearly, have my girl exposed to diseases, in the waiting room! I am just as obsessive with my kids. Both have asthma, and will most likely get sick, sitting in the waiting room! I send them yearly, for a physical, but tell them " don't touch anything"!Get in, and get out! Nancy

Nancy, is there less danger to exposure to disease at a bird trimmer's? Is it that a vet's office is more likely to have sick birds than a trimmer's? I too worry about disease, but I also worry about taking Gracie to a vet after she shows symptoms because often that is too late. I want to only do what is in her best interest, but it is hard to know. Maybe I should ask if my avian vet could do house calls. It is like people who go into the hospital for a routine procedure and die of infections they acquire there. A Catch-22.

You must always be " Proactive", for both birds and kids. My " trimmer" tends to deal with my birds issues. When seeing and dealing with my birds, I wait in the car until trimmer is ready. Call me on my cell! Don't touch my birds until you are ready, then wash your hands before you touch them! My trimmer does so.

When dealing with my pediatrician, he knows I will not sit in a waiting room full of bacteria. I'm there for a " healthy visit". Call me on my cell! ( Sean is embarassed!) OH WELL! Nancy