NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why does he do this?

jbsmomto1

It must be for a reason, I'm sure he isn't doing it for nothing. He isn't rough either, but he does rub his beak against the wall, it looks like he is trying to taste it most of the time...is he trying to tell me something?

As well as I am trying to teach him to drink from a water bottle, with the summer here and his delight in making soup with his pellets, I was hoping for a cleaner water for longer than 5 minutes, he knows how to drink from it because when I hold it he goes crazy for it at first it was a game but he has learned the cause and effect so i tried hanging it on his cage and he's great with it for about 30 mins or so but then he comes out and undoes the hangar and tosses it on the floor....what is the best way to keep it ON his cage but making it hard for him to remove?

My birds rub their beaks on things as well. Sometimes it's to clean them, or get something off. Other times, they shed ever so slightly, so rubbing helps that, you won't even notice it.

But its such a gentle wipe, barely grazing the wall, its almost like he is kissing it......I would have thought with shedding it would be rougher lol, he does kiss the wall as well but that is so super adorable with the kissing sound LOL.....I will for sure look for those hose clamps when I am in the hardware store tomorrow, I am hoping he will drink enough out of the bottle to be able to do away with the dish entirely

I think that Greys beaks are quite sensitive. Misty enjoys beak rubs from me even when he wants no other part of his body touched. He also enjoys beak tapping on hard surfaces like bottles, windows and mirrors.

It seems the harder the surface the better. He also dislikes any food sticking to it so he will rub any suitably soft surface for that task. His favourite is my jeans or sometimes my T shirt shoulder.

Steve n Misty

Kopi would stand on his cage, back to the room and "rub" his beak on the wall in an arc. It was more as if he as "drawing" on the wall. He would also place his beak against the wall, then talk. He seemed to like the acoustics. Miss Gilbert does a similar drawing on the wall but she swings around and stares at me, then draws another arc. I always think she is casting a spell on me and turning me into a toad for some supposed infraction of her daily expectations.

JBsMom... I'd be hesitant to remove the water bowl after he learns to drink from the bottle. They get clogged, and the birds can learn to pull out the drip spouts, sending water all over. I had a water bottle for my baby once, and we didn't realize that it got clogged and wasn't giving water. We found out when she was eagerly licking the condensation off of a can of soda. We felt so bad about that! Needless to say, there are no more water bottles in my house.

I have seen what they can do creatively to defeat a water bottle so suggest providing both. Have found a large wooden splinter cleverly engineered from a perch and inserted into the nozzle of the water bottle causing all the water to pour out with the suspicious Macaw looking at me like who did that, I have no water.

I've always assumed birds use their beaks like we use our fingers to "touch." Timber is always rubbing his beak on anything new, like he is checking to see what it "feels" like. He lies to walk around on the floor. Every times he gets on the floor, he sweeps the floor in front of him in a semi-circle, I always assumed that was checking for stability. He will walk to the door, the wall, the radiator, whatever, and rub his beak gently on them. He also rubs his beak on me. I would like to think it is affection, but who knows ;)

Greys beaks are very sensitive. Sophie rubs her beak on EVERYTHING! She rubs mirrors, dirty kids feet, her favorite chair my finger every morning. If she doesn't beak it... she is not interested If I want to take a nap... she has to beak my left eye and only then, will she nap with me. ( not that I asked her too, but she feels she must be with me if I nap). I LOVE that she will be quiet. Stick her beak under my left eye, butt in the air. She will be quiet until I wake up. I LOVE my girl Nancy