NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Peck is stepping up!

Muse

Only onto a stick so far, but this is huge progress from his former habit of attacking the stick! I started getting him used to being close to it, and gradually he stopped attacking it but he would put his head down, preventing me from moving it close to his feet. Last week, I stopped the practice of putting his cage inside the playroom. Now if he wants to go, it's either the towel or stepping up. (He hasn't figured out that he can just FLY in there yet...). He had stepped up for the first time yesterday, but it was rather reluctantly. Today it was all on his own. And FROM the cage as well as back to it, which shocked me because he's so cage aggressive. He also stepped up in the playroom just for practice and he got jackpots each time. Jackpot is when I let them put their head in the pine nut container and help themselves when they've been exceptionally good. He also got lots of praise.

I do know he was trying to 'bomb' me from the net while I was cleaning in the playroom today I think it is a game for him. No hits so far. Sorry, Peck!

I am just happy he is stepping up. Another step in a life journey through our new relationship. Who knows what the next step might bring?

What great news! Mr. Peck is quite the guy. So delighted to hear that he was/is responsive to the stick method. My (R.I.P.) wild caught Amazon, Elliot, while eventually was quite the lovebug never did step up to a hand. He had been so traumatized. He was great about stepping to a stick and then from the stick to arm/shoulder then back to stick and home for his entire life with me. Mr. Peck, I bet though will soon be stepping up au natural for you in no time. Especially with that kind of jackpot! Watch out for those bombs.... :D

This is great news and is a great idea for an approach to Miss Gilbert. In three years we have gotten her to step up mainly when she is on the floor and rarely from her cage top. Maybe due to her past it is the step up that creates the anxiety rather than being away from her cage. Interesting. Thanks for the idea. It is just marvelous that Peck is warming up to you and learning the ways of his new and wonderful home.

Actually, thank Aunalese. She is the one who started us with the whole 'step up stick' method. She wouldn't (and still won't) step up on a hand. I think she was so traumatized in that Petco that she may never lose that fear of human hands. She's a real little sweetheart otherwise. But with her, we had to start offering a small dowel. She has no problem at all stepping on the dowel on command - just never onto a finger or hand. But I am okay with that. It was just natural for us to try this same approach on Peck. I guess Auna trained us well. ;)

Update: Peck is now easily stepping up on the stick every time with no problems. He lets me carry him around on the stick. Megan was recalling tonight, and each time Peck would lean forward on the play stand and spread his wings out. Once he even fanned them out and flapped, but no take-off. I have to wonder if he's afraid I will be afraid of him and retract my arm at the last minute. Hehe. We still have to work on the trust, but we are getting there.

Every day it seems he trains me a little more. He's more a leader than a follower like the rest of the flock. He repeats gestures or sounds until I figure out what they mean. I am betting he's doing little Grey eye rolls at times and thinking "Wow, I got a slow one this time." But eventually I catch on and then he is really big with the show of approval! Tonight he was teaching me a sound, and when I finally was able to imitate it pretty close he started bobbing his head wildly. That seems to be his "good human!" gesture, lol. It's the same thing he did when I had my 'aha' moment over his sign language for almonds-in-the-shell.

I can definitely see facets of his personality and mental complexity I don't see in the younger birds. He's such a good bird.

He and Megan had their first spat the other night (29th). I managed to catch it on video as I was recording with my cell phone, them trying to catch them dancing (of course they stopped every time I turned the camera on). I put the video on our YouTube Channel. He really gave her a what-for for not sharing her food with him. Neither were hurt except for a bit of wounded pride on Megan's part, I believe.

(You can see how well they listen to mama as they completely ignore me the whole time)

Hehe... well... you know how they say be careful what you wish for. The past couple of days he has flown from the playroom into the bedroom when I have the French doors open, and landed.... ON MY HEAD. Today, he knocked my glasses off. He's not biting, or hurting me, but it is a bit disconcerting to have a pound of flapping Congo African Grey suddenly swoop in and grab my hair in his talons.

Yes, actually Mar and Megan did tussle occasionally. She is headstrong, and spoiled (and not good at sharing - as you can see in the video). Now, she has NO PROBLEM climbing on HIS cage and getting into HIS treat bowl (outside of cage food bowl). But you see what happens when he wanted some of HER food. She can be a total snot.

In fact, when she and Mar were babies, she was the first hatched and outgrew Mar quickly (he was the last hatched of four). He, however, was from a much bigger set of parents, and when she stopped growing at her dainty size, he kept going. At first he put up with her bullying him (as well as bullying the two other males from her clutch). One day, we were at the store (he wasn't weaned yet so couldn't come home) and they were on a T stand with a food bowl. He was munching away when she came over and decided she was going to oust him from the feeding spot. He didn't make a sound, just turned to face her, took one foot, and promptly knocked her right off the perch. She went several feet before righting herself and flapping up to daddy. And squawking like a banshee the whole way (like she did in the video). She's great at playing the victim, let me tell you! I did the 'trying not to snicker' while I said "Now, Mar, that wasn't nice" when inside I was going "Way to go, son!" I am just glad Peck is standing up for himself. She can be a real bully. Last night we cut through the playroom while the green cheeks were in there, and she had to fly up and scare them off the food dish on the smaller stand. In her mind, it's ALL hers!

These squabbles are common. I see them in the wild birds. If they really meant to hurt each other, they easily could. But the fact that they don't tells me they know it isn't serious fighting, just a struggle for dominance. They also spend hours together in the playroom with no problems. I just have to make sure there are more than one source of food available or there is an argument.