NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to keep your Grey entertained while you're at work

Modrummer

Hey everyone, first post here! I just adopted a 4 year old CAG. I've owned a parakeet, and a Nanday Conure, but this is my first "bigger" parrot.

My question is, how do I keep my CAG entertained while I'm gone at work for 8 hours? I know about the Grey's tendency to get bored, so I want to avoid that (and the negative side effects) as much as possible.

Thanks!

Hi Modrummer and welcome to the grey forum to you and your new companion.

What is your new greys name. We love pictures.

You can leave a radio or TV on and have a number of toys along with a good seed mix and pellets.

Greys love bells to bang around and make noise. Foot toys, hanging toys made of wood.

Here's a pic of Storm for reference:

IMAG1051_zps18b65491.jpg[/url]

Unfortunately I haven't owned a bird in a few years, so Storm won't have any company. She'll be alone from 7:20 till 3:20(when my wife gets home). I put some fresh veggies in a bowl for her just now, and introduced her to a wooden toy with a bell on it which she is still pretty wary of.

On another topic, how cold of a room is too cold for a Grey at night? I noticed this morning that the room she is in got down to about 69 degrees. I was always told to keep my Conure in a room that is about 75 degrees.

Thanks!

Mine like bells to ring and things to clang. I always have the rooms comfortable for me. If I am comfortable my birds are also. 69 degrees is fine.

Good to hear.

On another note, any tips on getting Storm to like me more? She was extremely cuddly and liked to climb all over her previous owner, but is very wary of me and will nip at me if I try to have her step up. I can feed her food through her cage bars, but if she's out she won't let my hand ccome near her with food.

Welcome. Sit next to the cage and talk softly to her,even read to her. Feed her special treats from your fingers. It will take time - to you it may seem a long time - but she will calm down and come around. Foraging toys are great when you're not home. You can start with some you make yourself. Take a treat she likes and wrap it in some tissue or paper towel and put it somewhere in the cage. You may not want to wrap it too much the first couple of times if she isn't use to looking for her treats.

I have to second the toys that clang suggestion, I keep toys that make a lot of noise, toys to chew on, and toys to shred. The shredding toys make a huge mess but my little guy can keep himself occupied for hours shredding away.

As for getting her to like you more... It just takes time; when me and the hubs brought home our CAG 6 months ago he did not like me at all. He would puff up at me, make warning clicks, and of course nip/bite me. On the other hand he seemed to instantly take with the husband. After a week he would let the hubs scratch his head and hold him. It was about a month of me talking softly, singing, and offering tasty treats before he decided I was okay. Now the favorites have switched and my little guy adores me and not so much the hubs (not sure how much of this might be because of competition for my attention haha). We still work with him and although he only tolerates the husband he really has started opening up with our son. It just takes time, go slow if you think you're pushing too much too soon you probably are.

Hi modrummer and Storm! You have landed in a great place that will help you learn more about your new companion. Also, like indulgent Aunties and Uncles, we all love to hear continued stories, anecdotes, and to see more photos anytime :)

You've already received great advice. I would just add that all Storm knows right now is that you are responsible for separating him from his family/flock. Greys develop very strong bonds with their mates, and in captivity transfer this wonderful bonding capacity to their humans. Storm has no idea why he has come to live with you, and that is all very confusing for him. Patience is very warranted, as well as lots of non threatening interactions. Just go about your day when you are home, talking to Storm as you move about your home. Approach his cage calmly and relaxed, but matter of fact (not creepily slow) -- and as others have wisely said, offer him little yummy tidbits each time you approach him. Continue to offer your hand and invite him to come to you. I, personally, am not a big fan of the push your hand into an adult bird's tummy and therefore forcing them to step up. I'm all about offering your hand and allowing them to decide whether or not they want to accept your invitation. What you do now, will go a loooong way toward a very rewarding future together.

Would love to hear more about how you two came together! :)

All have excellent advice. Trust takes time. Encourage thru consistency, routine and timeout from cage, meaning open the door, let bird feel comfortable to stepout on door. I dont believe in ever picking up a bird from inside the door. Thats their home, and if they are not comfortable, they will bite. I have always worked off the door.I had an unusual situation where three birds of different origins had their own cage next to each other, and once they became tolerant of each other, we went to open cage belief. ( always supervised!) They eventually chose to live in/on one cage. They made their decisions. Two play gyms in front of them. I went down to two cages, but kept second cage for anyone that needs to escape and get away from the chaos. You can't rush trust.... and if your bird was able to bond before, they will again. Nancy

• Haha 1

20 to 24 would be a good range in Celsius.

Also it looks like there is not any toys visible in the photo you shared, I would suggest you add a few to his cage and make sure one is a heavy duty bell, greys love to bang one around and they seem to take out some frustration on it from time to time, I know my grey does.

I second (or third) the bell idea. Make sure it's a heavy duty one meant for birds that are Storm sized. I've never heard of a grey that didn't love beating up and swinging from a bell. A roll of adding machine paper is a pretty consistent favourite. Tie it to the inside of his cage with a strip of untanned leather or a couple of zip ties. If Storm is leary of new toys, start out by laying them near his cage, and playing with them yourself. (It's usually a good idea to check and make sure no one is filming you for YouTube during this step. Lol). Gradually move them closer to the cage, then tie it to the outside, low, moving it up slowly, then finally on the inside. At the first sign of alarm back up a step. Once he learns to trust you he'll probably also learn to trust most thing you introduce to him but right now it's not unusual for him to see every new thing as a potential Parrot Killing Machine!!!

Edited by Acappella

Welcome to the forum. When a grey is in transition, he is getting the lay of the land. Do as much as you can to increase his ability to predict what to expect. If you are coming into the room, call to him so he knows you are approaching. Tell him something like "big noise" before you run the vacuum, blender, etc. Tell him something like "bye, going to work" and something different when you are making a short trip to the grocery store etc. He might settle in and adjust a little more quickly when he learns the expectations of his new habitat. Many of our members work full time. Open his cage and give him time and attention when you get home. Be as consistent as you can and he will nap during the day and be ready for fun when he hears you coming. Your journey is just beginning, living with a grey is unlike any other wonder in the world.