NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mirror Recignition

JeffNOK

Hi all. I have been away for a while, but I wanted to share some recent developments with my CAG Gracie. Last week we were chatting. She was asking, "Where's Daddy, What you doing?'' I answered her and then asked, "Where is Gracie. Go find Gracie." She walked to the mirror that hangs on the wall behind her cage. She tapped the mirror with her beak and then said. "That's Gracie. Gracie is gorgeous!"

LOL JeffNOK... Of course Gracie is gorgeous! Recognizing oneself in the mirror is so very important.Sophie spends tons of time talking to herself in front of the mirror. She has done so for years. Our hallway mirror she will stop and tap on it and have a oneway conversation.I know it is sooo important for birds to love themselves, but Sophie goes over board! I just roll my eyes! Can you say... " I LOVE MYSELF TO DEATH!" Nancy

Sophie first was introduced to the mirror when we were trying to get her into the shower. She would " watch" kiki and Sunny getting blowdryed, they were loving it, after their shower. I thought if she could see how much they loved the whole shower process, she would be interested. Nope! She LOVED the girl in the mirror, but as far as the shower process and spa treatment, we will always get a polite " no thank you!" Sophie hates the shower, and always will. I know that. When she has too much dander.... we just do it! I warn her its coming. She trusts us all so much now... she will only be mad at me for an hour or two, in the beginning, a few days. I empathize with her, and feel her pain. She will scream " ROM.... NO!!!!" I know she feels betrayed, but it is my responsibility to keep her safe and healthy! I tell her that during the shower.It gets done, and we all eventually recover. Of course I feel bad that she feels I betrayed her, but as a nurse, I KNOW I did the best thing for her health wise. Nancy