NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'll take these over diamonds any day!

Inara

I was up later than usual tonight, and when I walked (like an Egyptian) out to the kitchen to get some water before going to bed, HRH Inara scooted over to the side of her cage from the top of her roosting perch. I gave her scritches and talked to her, and just sensed that she wanted something more.

So, I asked her if she wanted to come out for a bit, and she immediately climbed over to the door. I picked her up, and as usual I pulled her close into my chest and kissed her on the top of her head and nuzzled her feathers a bit (our coming out of her cage ritual). She usually then gives me a little smooch and that is all she wrote where snuggling is concerned.

Inara is very affectionate with throwing little kisses, loving to hang out on my arm (she prefers me to crook my arm out so that she can make eye contact and only uses my shoulder for transportation) and the occasional attempt at preening my hair, but is not a real snuggler, she is too "busy". This, is fine as I don't expect her to be anything other than who she is.

However tonight, she completely choked me up. I gave her the snuggle/nuzzle and moved over to the sofa in the darkened living room and sat down with her. She moved up to my shoulder, laid her cheek against mine just like she did the very first time we met. Then she climbed down my arm to my chest and laid her forehead against my heart! I softly preened her neck feathers and those on the top of her little head and she just closed her eyes and then turned and gave my hand kisses. She then moved back up my arm to my elbow (my arm was across my chest) tucked up one foot, closed her eyes and softly ground her beak. Then stopped gave another kiss noise, scootched back to where she had been, put her little beak and forehead back over my heart and we proceeded to repeat this about 3 more times.

Then she looked at me and softly said, "OK, let's go." I asked, "Are you saying you want to go home and go night-night?" She said, "OK. You go up." So I did, and as I was putting her into her home, she gave me one more kiss.

The warmth and unadulterated sweetness and trust that emanated from her just moved me to tears. Every moment with her is a treat, moments like these are more precious than diamonds.

Edited by Inara

Ahhhhh. The happiest, beak grinding, most touching moments are when we least suspect it. As with you , I don't expect anything more from Miss Gilbert than she is willing and capable to give. I rested a moment with your description and if I never have one of those moments it is okay with me as long as I know my little pearl is without fear, secure and as happy as she is able to accept. A brief, vicarious respite with you and Inara warms my heart and soul for another day.