NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello, New here

Hi everyone, reading through this site and looks like I have a lot to learn and it will definable be easier with all the information and help posted.

My African grey is Alex, 4 years old and re-homed to me. I look forward to working with him, learning about greys and giving him a great home. I have only had him 4 days and he is still getting used to me.

I do have one quick question, His previous owner gave him shelled walnuts as a treat. Is this harmful? If not then I was planning to use the walnuts as a treat when I work with him.

Thanks everyone.

--john--

Thanks everyone, I bought the unsalted ones shelled in the bag. I will post some Pictures. I have scheduled a vet appointment for Friday. Figured that's the best place to start. He was on a diet of seed and i noticed the first thing he ate was the sunflower seeds and have been reading how they are not good for him. I bought a bag of Harrison pellets and he took right to it, guess i lucked out there. I am still experimenting with the fresh veggies, he picks the broccoli out of the bowl and throws it but i have been getting him to eat a few bites of fresh carrots. He does like seedless grapes.

He will only step-up when he flies off the cage and he is on the floor. Have not been able to get him to step-up from his cage yet. He bit me a few time pretty good at first but now just nips and i am trying the no-bite command. I know this will take time and am more than willing to give him the time and home he deserves.

Great that Alex is eating Harrison's. A good quality seed mix should be offered too. There is a post on here about sunflower seeds. If memory serves, the important thing with sunflower seeds is moderation. Some seed mixes have too much sunflower and not enough other quality seed. Keep experimenting with the veggies. You'll find some he likes and some he doesn't. I keep offering the ones Timber doesn't like because sometimes, well, he changes his mind! ;) Also, they prefer some raw, some steamed etc. If he rejects raw broccoli try a piece of steamed when you make it for yourself, etc. Sometimes they won't eat it in their bowl but may eat it from a skewer hanging in the cage. There are endless variations to try. My goal is to get a variety of food down Timber's throat, and he's picky so it is a job.

At only 4 days, his refusal to step up is no surprise to me. When I took Timber a couple of years ago (rehomed) it took about 3 months for him to start stepping up readily when he wasn't on the floor. Time and patience wins the day. They often take a while to trust. You have to earn it.

a few last questions. I read he should get 12 hrs of sleep a night? I was coaxing him into his cage about 9pm but since I get up early and go downstairs at 7am, I change his water and food and give him veggies and grapes in a bowl that time of the morning. Should i be putting him in his cage earlier?

Also I do have a cat carrier that came with him to take him to the vet. The vet told me to just put a towel over him when he is outside the cage, then pick him up and put him on the floor then into the carrier. Is this the way to do it since he will not step-up from outside his cage yet?

Welcome Alex and John. You might try coaxing him into the carrier with some treat he loves. But, this doesn't work too often and you will most likely end up toweling him to get him in. You might try playing with the towel with him/or next to him to get him use to see it and make him less afraid of it. I have to towel mine every once in a while. He gets mad, but gets over it just as fast. They are smart enough to know you didn't hurt him so they don't hold a grudge - most times LOL. Please let us know how the vet visit goes.

Hi Alex and john, Welcome to the grey forum.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with Alex, Also we love pictures.

You are going to hear about grey time. Because they are so smart they walk to the beat of their own drummer and you will have to step in and follow their beat and time.

It`s going to be a new adventure so sit back and enjoy.

Hi John and Alex, you've both landed in a wonderful place! I'm so excited for you and your new companion. It's apparent that you are and will be diligent about his care and receptive to his training of you :D :D

One thing that you might try for getting Alex to step up when he is out of his cage, is a stick or a perch that looks similar to those in his cages. This can be less intimidating than your hand, and can also save you some fear/anxiety bites. This can help you both get off on the right foot (literally) where you're not anticipating a bite, and Alex is not feeling anxious about what to him is a stranger's hands. As he becomes more accustomed to you, he will understand that you are his buddy and not a predator. It is great that you've been trying to coax him, rather than chasing him around, which can stimulate his natural fear of predators. He is by nature a prey animal, so if you start toweling him consistently, simply to get him into his cage, well--- think about how you would feel if you were out having fun and some giant tossed a tarp over you and then picked you up, carried you away and stuck put you back in your home. A little daunting, wouldn't you say? Vets use towels, companions use patience and systematic rethinking of behaviors. :) By all means, use your hand when you sense that Alex is receptive, and try other methods when you sense he is hesitant or feeling bitey. Often just giving them a moment or two will allow them to change their minds. It also can be helpful to find a treat that Alex is wild about, and only give that to him every time he cooperates in entering his cage. He will soon be delighted to go home.

Because our buddies don't understand the concept of rehoming, all newly rehomed relationships much like a remarriange with the introduction of a step parent, are formed out of a break up of a flock/family. Greys empathy centers in their brains are highly developed, so be extra gentle and loving toward Alex, as at some point he my start to grieve a bit (depending on circumstances) for his former human(s). He doesn't know that he will be spending most of his life with you yet. So just like a marriage, how you break things in sets the pace for the duration. Gentleness, patience, and not taking anything personal will go a loooooong way to establishing a great bond.

Diet is important, sunshine is important, sleep is important, stimulation is important, a good sized clean cage is important, but mutual trust and respect are critical. Here you will find many different approaches, tons of fantastic advice, sometimes differing opinions but all valid nonetheless. There truly are no stupid questions, we all were first time bird stewards at one time or another, and no one has every answer. We all continue to learn from one another, because while the species has a lot of commonalities, the individual birds and their interactions with their humans is so very varied.

Its truly a treat as each new person signs in and introduces her/himself and their fine feathered friend. Would love to hear your and Alex's back story. How did you meet, why did his human comanion(s) give him up, and what prompted you to choose him? And natch, we thrive on pictures and videos here :)

Looking forward to hearing much more,

Inara's Human

Edited by Inara

I understand your concern about getting Alex in the carrier for the vet visit. When I brought Timber home, I had a vet visit scheduled the next day. He wasn't stepping up, didn't know us, and was not inclined to be cooperative. Yes, we had to towel him. Fast forward to today, it has been two years and he still doesn't like going into the carrier. Since he goes to the vet every six months whether he likes it or not, he has to go in it. One thing that might work for you is to get him on the floor with the carrier then guide him into it with the towel. If he is like Timber, he will go the opposite direction of the towel, so he might go in the carrier to get away from it. Do you see what I mean? We can sometimes "steer" Timber into the carrier by holding the towel in front of him. It is his choice of evils (in his mind) the towel or the carrier. Last resort, there are times when you have no option but the dreaded towel.

Today i was able to put my hand on the outside perch and hold a walnut just far enough away so he would have to step-up to get it, he wouldn't step-up but the good thing is (I think) he only nipped at my wrist instead if biting, I did use the no bite command. After a few minutes i moved my hand away and he came right to my other hand and took his treat.

He is potty trained but not for me yet.

What great pics of a very handsome fellow! My apologies as I was up veery late last night and misinterpreted your post to mean that your vet said to towel Alex and put him in a carrier any time he would not willingly go to or from his cage. My reply no doubt sounded very preachy :)

Inara,

Thanks for your helpful and encouraging reply. My biggest concern was getting him to the vet the first time knowing he is not stepping-up yet from outside his cage. I only plan to ever towel him as a last resort.

A little background:

The owner had to move out of state and she was not sure she could take Alex with her so she left him with a friend, She had him from the time he was weened. After 2 weeks she new her new living arrangement and job would not allow her to give him the time and attention her deserved. So i purchased him to re-home. The encouraging thing for me when I met him was after only 2 weeks with the temporary home he would step-up to her. I took that as a good sign. The bad thing was the friend did not put any toys in the cage. I have remedied that and he loves his toys. I have not been able to get in touch with his original owner yet but have asked the friend to please contact her and give her my phone and email as I would like to talk with her to find out more about Alex.

I have now given him both the pellets and some premium seed as a choice of food, he eats both. Still working on the veggies each morning.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and helpfulness.

Back from the vets, good news is Alex is healthy and he was fine with the diet I have him on and recommended 70% pellets, 20% veggies (have to keep trying until i find some he likes), 10% fruit. Occasional treat (use for training at first) and seed once in awhile. He said Alex has some bad habits that he wants me to break like only doing the basic step-up command from the floor and his biting.

He feels the previous owner just opened the cage and let him come and go to the play area as he desired and i have to admit that's what i was doing.

He wants me to keep him in cage bound and teach him to take food gently from the perch i just put in by the cage door after i open the door, no lunging then work on the step-up command from the perch. Don't let him on the play area on top the cage until he masters the step-up from the perch. Use the play area as a treat/reward. Then continue doing this until he will step-up from the play area on command. ok to use a treat as incentive at first. Also to start wrapping treats in kleenex and get him to forage from my hand, the progress to making it harder by wrapping food pellets some treats in some empty kleenex in masking tape and hanging them around the cage. Then move onto foraging toys.

He also recommended a stand alone perch lower than the one on top the cage play area (he shows his dominance there towards me that I need to break him of) that i could put him on once he learns the step-up from his cage and to work with him there also to re enforce learning and commands.

So I guess the vet visit was as much of a learning experience for me as it was to make sure Alex was healthy.

Ok everyone with much more experience than me, does this sound like good advice?

Wonderful that Alex got a clean bill of health.

Was this an Avian Vet? The one thing that I would NEVER do is put tape in the cage for him to chew on. I can't help but think that the glue would be very harmful for his systems. The foraging is great. I use paper towel and some plain brown paper for foraging toys for my babies, but always folded never taped. Keeping him in the cage at all times doesn't sound right to me, but I will wait for others to chime in on that one. I always thought taking him to a small room with a perch (even the back of a chair) was the way to teach the step-up command if the bird was reluctant.

Yes he is an Avian Vet. I like him a lot and watched how he handled Alex and was impressed how he interacted with him, that may not mean a lot but I feel it's important that I trust the vet i choose. It will be interesting to see what others say about the tape, the vet did say use regular masking tape, none of the special tape made for painting.

He said the reason he wanted to have me use the cage method is because as of now the only time he will step-up is when he flies off his cage.

Thanks for the feedback, will be interesting to see what others have experienced and have to say.

I have to say I don't agree with the vet. My belief is that right now your most important job is to gain Alex's trust. His cage is his safe place and I don't think that right now is the time to focus on forcing a step-up from his safe place. His whole world has changed and he's still trying to figure out if this new home is safe. Let him have a little control over his life right now. By all means attach a perch to the outside of his cage. You can reward him with treats and praise just for perching on that perch, then slowly offer your hand for a step up. If he doesn't want to comply, tell him "OK" and walk away. The trick is to make being outside the cage look fun and interesting. Play with/build a toy in front of him. Sit by the outside perch and read to him, or just sit and watch TV and let him make the decision to come out and 'hang' with you. When he does step up (and this could take a while) praise him like crazy, let him hang out for a couple of minutes, then put him back on his perch. I believe in the "Always leave them wanting more" school of training. Let's face it, we're bigger than them and we can force them to comply, and sometimes, like when we're heading to a vet visit, we have to, but if Alex makes the decision to join you it means a whole lot more, and can set you up for a lifetime of positive interactions. I always ask Dorian if he wants to "come with mom" and offer my arm for him to step up. If he doesn't, I just say OK, walk away and do something for a few minutes, then go back to the cage and ask him again. He's figured out that if he wants to be with me he has to step up when I ask, but I won't force him. We've gotten to the point where I rarely have to ask him more than twice. Work on the relationship first and the other stuff will fall into place. That's my opinion anyway. See what others have to say.

I have to agree. Keeping him in the cage until he obey's just seems like it would be a huge set back. Trust is #1 with these guys and that, imo, seems like dominance not trust. No way would i put tape in the cage either. That sticky residue would not be good at all. It may seem harmless right now, how bad can one little piece of tape be, but over time that could easily gum up his system, one little harmless piece at a time.

I do agree about bird perches, or stepping up should be below you. My avian vet also was my regular vet that had handled my dogs and guinea pigs for years. When I showed up with Sophie at age two, he told me to raise her like I raised all my other animals! ( what does that mean?) I googled african greys and learned about their behavior and learned how I needed to get the entire family involved.We have been successful, but it is a committment from all of us. Nancy

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I decided to not follow the vets advice to keep him caged but instead to do as so many other have done, especially after reading so much on this forum and educating myself. After all it's only been a week, and he was placed in a new environment twice within 3 weeks, but a permanent home now. I will just keep working and interacting with him and give him plenty of time to settle in and for me to gain his trust. I decided to also mount a perch on the outside of the cage down low and work with having him come to that perch to get his treat so that when he is ready to step-up it will be down low and outside his cage so i am not working with him from a high perch.

I take it as a good sign that he is actively playing with his toys and whenever i walk into the room he perks up and whistles at me. He just started talking a little again and for the past 2 nights when I cove his cage he says good night. I spend as much time as i can in the same room with him just talking to him.

I do have one question about the amount of food. When I get up in the morning I change his water (and yes several times a day) and give him some veggies which he is starting to eat. I give him fruit during the day from my hand as well as 2 walnuts a day as a special treat. My question is the pellet package and talking with Harrisons they recommend 1 1/2 to 3 tablespoons a day, right now he is eating about 6 tablespoons of pellets a day. I am monitoring how much he eats making sure there are only a few pellets left when I change his pellet food in the morning, always replacing with fresh pellets. Is it ok for him to be eating this much?

Thanks again everyone.

have a great memorial Day !!!!!!!!!!