NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Border town couple prepping for first CAG

Hello forum members.

I've read through a few posts over the past few days, and this community really seems like a warm and welcoming one, so I decided to make an account. My name is Josh, and my girlfriend's name is Lysandra. We are in McAllen, Texas and are currently prepping for our first CAG. We couldn't possibly be more excited.

I have done a lot of research and I fell in love with the Greys. We are ordering a cage soon, and I've already begun building training and play perches. I'm going to be purchasing a baby from a local breeder, and we are going to do the DNA testing and ensure we get a female. My eight year old daughter has picked out a name for "her" already hahaha. We are all very excited.

I guess the purpose of my post is to ask if there are any references that are commonly used and recommended? Any books I should purchase or web sites I should check out? I've found a lot on my own already, but with a forum full of seasoned veterans, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Josh.

P.S. I'm going to try to coerce Lysandra into registering for the forum so she can enjoy the community as well.

Hi Josh and welcome to the grey forum.

You will find that sharing your home with a grey is a life changing event, for the good.

We look forward to sharing your adventure with your new girl grey when she comes along.

Welcome to you both from a fellow Texan! There are so many books out there that can help you along i don't know where to begin. I will say anything by Barbra Heidenreich will not steer you wrong. I signed up for one of her classes months ago and am on a waiting list for the year 2016, lol. (I just hope i do not screw up my birds in the meantime!)

Something you will see alot on here is the word fids, which is feathered kids. That kinda throws people and it is asked about alot.

There is a bird fair next weekend in Cleburne, Tx. I am not sure where exactly you are located but that is a great place to start building your birdie paradise!

Congrats!!

Hello Josh and welcome to our family.

Forget the books, you will find priceless information here in our many threads as all types of questions have been asked and answered from knowledgeable people who have been in the company of greys for many years, we have a wealth of helpful info right at your fingertips so be sure to browse thru as many of them as you can.

Just curious but why do you only want a female?

Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the recommendations for Barbara Heidenreich. I will certainly do some research and see what she has available to use as research. I'm also grateful for the explanation of the community term "fids," because as clever as I may be, I might have had a problem decoding that one. I did figure out "parronts" on my own, but that one is more or less a dead giveaway, lol.

More about us:

We have no other pets, but we do have extensive animal experience and have had pets in the past. I am a 31 year old former Marine, Iraq veteran. Currently working as a helicopter technician on aircraft for Customs and Border Protection. I love to play guitar and sing, (would this be a fun activity to do with my grey?) and I am very crafty, and I enjoy making things. I love to cook, and I enjoy fresh foods... I also enjoy being outside and I wonder if it will be a good idea for me to take my Grey with me outdoors, to the store, bring her around friends etc... I do not hunt, I don't have many extra-curricular activities, and I enjoy my family time.

I understand the mentality, for the most part, of the "good" Grey owners'. To me it means that the Greys own their people, so to speak, but rather, the Greys aren't pets... they are members of the family. So I don't want to just parade her around as some exotic pet... I am in the mentality of just trying to expose her to new and exciting things, and hopefully desensitize her a bit to being around things other than what can be found within her home sanctuary. Because I have such limited experience, these will all be new things that are part of a crucial learning process for our Grey, and us. I just hope I don't do anything to mess her up while I am learning. I have the best of intentions and I plan to give it some time before bringing her home so that we are prepared.

Cheers!

-Josh

Just curious but why do you only want a female?

Hi there, Judygram, and thank you for the welcome. I am appreciative of the open and "family" atmosphere here at GF. I can't really pinpoint my reasoning for getting a female, and I'm certainly open to owning a male... but I've been told, and have read, that female greys (and parrots, in general) tend to have a bond with the leading males of the human side of the family. I have also read that their temperament is a bit less edgy than some males, specifically in their juvenile years. Whether or not this is completely true, I just went with that. Also, my eight year old daughter has picked out a name for "her." All facts included, I have no aversions to a male grey, my mind just seems to lean more toward a female. My girlfriend, Lysandra, insists that it is because I have a daughter, and don't have an interest in having sons in the future... I just want an army of daughters hahaha. It's all I know, and I'm a great father... so there's that.

Cheers!

-Josh

My grey is female and bonded to me but she is developing a better relationship with my hubby than she used to, early on she didn't want to have much to do with him but now she comes over to his chair and sits with him for a while most evenings and gives him kisses, if you would ask him its because I have gone on trips and left my fids in his care so she had no one else to interact with but him but I beg to differ.

Hi Josh and welcome! How exciting for you and your family to anticipate the arrival of your new companion! Definitely read through the scrillions of threads here, starting with many of the old ones, also. There is a wealth of information both technical and practical. Never be hesitant to ask *any* question no matter how minor or silly it may seem to you -- no one else here will think it's minor or silly at all. Every person here was inexperienced at one time or another and all are willing to help. You may see some differences of opinion, almost always offered with respect and as alternative ways of doing things -- so just take what works for you and your particular bird.

Me? I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement when it comes to animals, especially. Some look at this as bribery. I often retort, "So you would work every day for no paycheck, right?" :D If I have any words of wisdom, it would be to know that the little ball of fluff that you bring home, will be an completely different creature at 2, 3, 4 etc -- Unfortunately, this is when many are put up for rehoming. Being hand raised is no guarantee of bonding nor imprinting, and so you have a big job ahead of you. I also (personally) don't subscribe to the 1 human mindset. My wild caught CAG and now my rehomed TAG may have chosen me as a stronger bond, but could and can be easily passed over physically to another person, when willing. Learn from the beginning to socialize your bird as much as possible with every family member as she grows, and to watch and learn her own particular body language. You really don't need to get bitten. Especially when you have the luxury of raising a bird yourself.

An example: My gal, Inara, lets me know when she does not want to go back to her cage, simply by backing up my arm or shoulder a little bit and leaning her head down. She now makes a kissing noise rather than a pterodactyl squawk, because she knows I understand what she means by this, and I don't rush her back to her home. When someone else holds their hand up to her, if she is not in the mood to go to them, she just simply looks at them and will lean her head down a little bit. These are very subtle changes in body language and if one is not inclined to learn and pay attention, bites can and will happen.

Also, some will say never reach into your bird's cage. That is not and never has been an option for me. I reach in and out all the time to remove dishes, clean the cage thoroughly and to give attention both physical and in the form of treats to Inara and did with my other birds. I respect her physical space while doing so -- by not reaching for *her* if she is telling me that she does not want attention. My birds have always been fine with this and I've always been very relaxed and matter of fact about it. Birds need time to themselves and to rest/daydream/daynap, or simply just not be handled. Many birds are happier within their cage environment than they are stuck on an open perch being bored all day. So don't assume that just because your bird is out of its cage that it is stimulated or that you're doing it a good favor :) It's about you learning a sense of when to interact -- and that is plenty in short periods throughout the day, and when to allow your bird it's own time, which is also plenty during the day.

Expect the very best from your bird, and don't go into this expecting a high strung moody bitey creature who will love only you (a lot of myths out there). We get what we stroke and what we expect (because we act and react according to our perceptions), and socializing your new gal early to be gentle, trusting, relaxed and playful will go a loooong way toward a lifetime of companionship for you and your family.

Very important -- locate an avian veterinarian now. Don't wait until after you have your bird. There are many vets who will say "Oh we do birds," -- that is not an avian vet. It's worth the drive and/or expense to have one before an emergency.

Can you tell I just had my morning coffee, I've rambled here!! :) Am excited for you and so delighted for your upcoming fid, as it's apparent she will be arriving at a good home. Be sure to check out the "Nursery" and "Training" threads, and when in doubt track down Dave007 for health/food, etc info --he's like a walking encyclopedia. Also be sure to check out Danmcq's thread on behaviors changes during different ages/stages of development.

Cheers,

Inara's human

Edited by Inara

Hi Josh and family. Congratulations on becoming a member of the Grey family. You will not be disappointed if you have done all your homework. Parrots do want to be part of the family so talk, explain and show and everyone will be happy. Getting a baby is wonderful. Just remember you are her parronts and she will only learn what you teach her. Enjoy.

I loved having a female grey. Sophie is a joy. I also loved having my girl Zoey, being the leader of the dogs. Girls rock! Nancy

That's funny, because we are naming our Grey "Zoey.". My eight year old selected the name.

Welcome Josh. And in the future, Zoey. You mentioned taking your baby with you outdoors. Please get an Aviator harness for her and train her early to accept it. Most Greys, once they know that they will be going outdoors accept the harness as a necessary evil. LOL But, please don't take your bird outdoors without a harness or being in a cage - it is just too dangerous! Can you tell what my soapbox is this week?? LOL I just have seen so many pictures of babies without any protection lately and my stomach turns knowing what could happen. Her cage should be the largest you can afford and have room for. Some people also have a smaller cage for sleeping. This could also be her first cage as when she comes home a small cage might help her fell secure and it will cut the 'falls' down too. Some babies don't climb well yet. Please ask any questions you or your wife might have - someone here will most likely have had a similar problem. Welcome again.

Welcome to the GreyForums. We are very similar: former Marine and vet of round 1 of the fight for Big Oil interests in the sand flea pit. I also wanted a girl Grey when I started looking, I have no idea why. I love her to bits. We have a male Caique and I love him to bits but he's what you would expect of a boy: feed me, water me and wrestle with me but my heart belongs to mommy. The female Grey seems to have bonded with me, I don't know if being a female helped that aspect or not.

Your crafty-ness will be put to good use making toys and swings and ropes and whatever else you'll see pictures of and decide your Grey needs that. Also playing and singing the guitar is a gift. I believe the fastest way to a Grey's heart outside of their crop is through music. I can't play anything but youtube and Greycie Grey loves it when I go on an 80s music or classic country bender.

Welcome to he forum Josh and family. My husband didn't join but he reads with me and I read to him the ones that delight me. As for advice, you are already at the front of the classroom taking it all in. A couple of pieces of advice were passed to me that were invaluable. Find out what your breeder gives the babies for comfort, buy those ahead of time so your baby brings a little piece of security with her. We got two small foot toys and a sleep tent and we moved our baby home and he already was acclimated to them. As Brat Birds mentioned, the aviator harness is the next thing. Depending on your breeder, if you are close enough to start using that early and often, that's another hurdle already initiated. As for reading material, The Parrot Problem Solver by Barbara Heidenreich is one I still go back to read a time or two. Not that it's different or better than the advice on the forum, but its a jump start on the questions to ask before a problem develops. Prevention is much easier on everyone than a "cure". You may be able to shape an African Grey but there are few effective discipline tools and no room in the process for punishment in the general human understanding of that word. Leading works, pushing usually is counterproductive. Being a great dad, you already have he best instincts. You are going to be a great family to a lucky little feathered one.

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days. I have been reading posts as I get free time, however. Thanks again for such a wonderful welcome... I can't express how excited I am about getting our CAG soon. The cage I ordered shipped today, and we are just reading up and preparing for her arrival. I got a photo of her yesterday, and if I can figure it out, I will share it on this board. Words can't even express how eager we are to have her home.MG952014051195203926.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

We will see the pics in good time. I have a female CAG and I was like you. I had a definite preference for a female even though I couldn't justify it rationally. All I can say is that I am totally in love and devoted to her and she to me. The only disturbing thing is that she talks a lot and always in my voice--not very ladylike. Everyone is shocked she is a girl when they hear her talk. Otherwise it has been a wonderful journey and I can't wait to know more about your experience.

Zelph... certainly read some books, decide as a family, what the plan is. We knew very little when Sophie adopted us at age two. We had NO idea what we were doing! We knew she chose us as her adoptive family. We had little time to look into diet, but that was our next step. We investigated diet quickly, and had a plan. Next we investigated how a grey will pick one owner, we knew that wouldn't work either. We have " open cage" concept with all our animals. I think her original owner just " knew"... that was what Sophie needed. I cannot say it has been easy, because it hasn't, but Sophie is thriving for more than a decade. Nancy