NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Dream of rehabbing African Greys for release into the wild...

bluedawg

Today, while driving to trader Joes, I devised the perfect plan for my life. I am currently in school to be a Medical Technician / Lab scientist. This after a failed career in Advertising / web design and development. I shouldn't say failed but even at it's best it's a hard and uncertain road to take so I find myself reinventing myself at 49. In any case when I get my Med Tech degree I will have job security and make decent money. I figure I can work for 10 years or so socking away money to one day, in my retirement, open a rehab for unwanted African Grays. The goal being to ultimately release them into their natural habitat. Now I know I have heard they can not survive in their natural habitat but I don't know if that is really true. I have a LOT more research to do. I would really like to hear from anyone else who has had similar dream and maybe can point out some of the pitfalls I will face. I think I would need to have a base here and one in Africa. Here I can accept unwanted grays and once a year they could be flown to the rehab where they would spend a year getting acquainted with the good life until ultimately being released into their natural habitat.

What do you all think?

The first thing I would do is contact the African authorities and see if they even want these greys. Also, with the trapping and smuggling of the greys already there, these "socialized" greys would probably be quickly recaptured and smuggled back to us and resold. Great idea but........

I commend you for your desires concerning greys but I'm afraid that you won't be able to accomplish muchUnwanted greys get into that situation because of existing with people. Unwanted greys lose the ability to survive in the wild after they've been acclimated and put into the classification of *pet* greys. Those greys stay that way forever. They bond with all things human no matter if those things are good or bad. THe outdoors has been an alien world all their lives. They've never existed with wild flocks. If set free, they wouldn't know how to deal within that atmosphere. There's a good chance that they would wind up dead because other wild greys won't accept pet greys who've been bonded to human civilization. Pet greys would,nt know how to defend themselves. They couldn't deal with terrible wearther conditions. Pet greys have never lived in the wild with wild greys. They wouldn't have the strength to live in an unforgiving world of *wild* greys who've never had any contact with the human world. Wild greys only exist because they're completely wild and stay that way. There's a huge difference between wild greys and pet greys. The only similarity they have is the color of their feathers. SO, in your desire to release unwanted greys, it simply won't workNow for the traveling from the US to Africa and back-------it's against the law to transprt greys or any other parrots from one country to another. This is a law which involves many other wild animals. It's a strict law which is enforced by federal authorities in both countries. A new law which started in 1992 forbids the importation of wild birds who have been poached for selling reasons in the US. The major offender is Africa. I see that you have good intentions but unfortunately, your plans of action won't work. On the up side of this is that they're are a few organizations that take in unwanted parrots but usually, they can't be sold to people and these organizations cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to be successful

Same thought here...too much risk of being recaptured by the dirt bags that do it for a living and then who knows what will happen to the poor things. Have you considered a sanctuary similar to what Muse and others are doing? Letting them live among each other and forming bonds and little communities is by far better than what they have as an unwanted pet.

I'm in a similar boat - I used to like what I do but I now hate it. My wife is always telling me it's not too late to go back to school because her mother went back !!AT 50!! and got her nursing degree. I'm 44 and feel like it's too late to do a complete career change.

Sad but true. Most of the unwanted grey population is domestically raised. Most were taken from their parents as chicks to be hand fed & imprint on humans.

They weren't taught any of the basic skills to survive in the wild. They don't know how to feed themselves because they were never taught how to forage, let alone safely.

Their socialization training never happened. Most have actually spent their lives as solitary birds. As adults, a wild flock would be very unforgiving & transgressions would most likely prove fatal.

They wouldn't recognize most types of predators, most especially human predators as the others have pointed out. Which again could ultimately get them killed.

All that being said, your heart is in a good place & maybe you can think about an alternative. These birds may not be able to be set free, but they can be liberated in another sense. If you were to visit websites for sanctuaries like Project Perry, for example, you could find some artificial environments that are better than freedom for domestically raised birds.

It is possible to construct safe shelters where these birds have free flight, the ability to socialize & lives as close to natural as possible under the circumstances.

In all honesty, this is probably a much better life than returning them to the wild, even if they could be rehab'd. All their needs are met in a safe, stable, nurtured environment w/o the threats of mankind or mother nature.

Please don't let all this discourage your dream! As stated, it just needs some re-thinking. Well, that & some support (this isn't really a solo gig), a lot of dedication & the ever problematic funding. Your time table, at least, sounds pretty much spot on. This could take a while. ")

Until then, you'd want to get as much hands on experience as possible. Volunteer at any shelter, rescue or sanctuary near you. Learn ...everything. Also suggest following & maybe even supporting the organizations who are in a position to return captured birds.

http://www.parrots.org/flyfree/

...& who knows, you could even decide to join them one day.

Does anyone know if any studies have been done? I wonder how much of this is science and how much is conjecture. Maybe the place to start would be a study on rehabbing domesticated African Greys for release to the wild. I believe that freedom trumps captivity every time no matter how beautiful the enclosure you just can't match all the experiences they could have out in the wild. I know I've read that all our captive African Greys are only one generation removed from the wild so in this case they would not be completely different animals from their wild cousins... Is it maybe our egos that make us think they need us so much? Of course I am not saying to just take them to Africa and set them free, but with time spent showing them the local fauna and lay of the land... who knows.

There's a video somewhere of someone rehabbing birds (mcaws maybe?) and releasing them back into the wild. They had a setup where the wild birds came to the enclosure and once deemed ready the birds ready for release were allowed to leave on their own schedule. I thought it was posted here somewhere.

Wow..you have a wonderful intent, but make sure you equip yourself with as much information as you can. I have read about release programs, and many work well, but you want to be sure that released birds have a flock to join that will accept them and their lives will be fulfilling.

The first thing I would do is contact the African authorities and see if they even want these greys. Also, with the trapping and smuggling of the greys already there, these "socialized" greys would probably be quickly recaptured and smuggled back to us and resold. Great idea but........

I agree with luvparrots! :( It seems that many of the governments there turn a blind eye and smuggling is dangerous for the birds.

What you guys mean is the "ARA Project". They are in South America, and rehab & release Macaws. But, those are mostly wild caught birds originally. Google it, they are very interesting. Another issue is that captive bred birds do not have the proper immunity to be released into the wild. In addition to all the other things pointed out. It's a noble thought, but very impractical.

Today, while driving to trader Joes, I devised the perfect plan for my life. I am currently in school to be a Medical Technician / Lab scientist. This after a failed career in Advertising / web design and development. I shouldn't say failed but even at it's best it's a hard and uncertain road to take so I find myself reinventing myself at 49. In any case when I get my Med Tech degree I will have job security and make decent money. I figure I can work for 10 years or so socking away money to one day, in my retirement, open a rehab for unwanted African Grays. The goal being to ultimately release them into their natural habitat. Now I know I have heard they can not survive in their natural habitat but I don't know if that is really true. I have a LOT more research to do. I would really like to hear from anyone else who has had similar dream and maybe can point out some of the pitfalls I will face. I think I would need to have a base here and one in Africa. Here I can accept unwanted grays and once a year they could be flown to the rehab where they would spend a year getting acquainted with the good life until ultimately being released into their natural habitat.

What do you all think?

Right there with you in this aching desire to embrace these wonderful creatures. I think that most people who spend time with these guys do get to that point of really understanding that we are dealing with life here. Life that is the same on all levels of what is important about life. We see much more clearly above many that they feel, have such volition, and interact as would a small child. I want to make sure they are ALL okay too....for sure. However a huge cycle does exist that won't easily be changed. Many have already clarified the issue so I won't add much more to that other than to say.....most people of the world are not enlightened to a better way of life. So we deal with the side effects of having money as the all great power in the world, giving way to the horrible things people will do for it...not to even mention simple neglect. My mind went down this same avenue....I wanted to find a way to dedicate my life to it....but it just cannot be. The bigger change needed is with people. The parrots of the world are actually fine for the most part and only get affected by people....the ones who really need fixing. On that front, I just try to live by example. I give the same care for animals the same way I would a person...and teach others to do the same.

On a final note....no one is a saint...and there really is so much one can do. I mean...is there any reason why we shouldn't save all life...including ants, moths, cockroaches. On this front...I try to make sure not to take so much responsibility that I feel guilty and don't live a practical life. However, I think there is a long way we can go to put life and money in perspective to try and get people to value life over money. This to me..is the biggest problem in society today....money often overrides the value of life....or rather...becomes the value of life

I would be right with you....saving the Greys.

Edited by Elvenking
  • Haha 1

Does anyone know if any studies have been done? I wonder how much of this is science and how much is conjecture. Maybe the place to start would be a study on rehabbing domesticated African Greys for release to the wild. I believe that freedom trumps captivity every time no matter how beautiful the enclosure you just can't match all the experiences they could have out in the wild. I know I've read that all our captive African Greys are only one generation removed from the wild so in this case they would not be completely different animals from their wild cousins... Is it maybe our egos that make us think they need us so much? Of course I am not saying to just take them to Africa and set them free, but with time spent showing them the local fauna and lay of the land... who knows.

One never knows what impact one or two humans with a dream, conviction, fortitude, and the seat of their pants can accomplish. I admire your dream, and even more so the empathy that you show for these remarkable creatures. It is because of a similar empathy, that I made the decision not to buy a baby bird and was happy to pay the equivalent for a young bird who was up for rehoming. The more birds we can at least place in good homes means the less that are in compounds and warehouse type of rescue facilities. It would be lovely if all in need could be placed in excellent sanctuaries and/or rehabbed and released to the wild -- but the practical aspects prohibit ever catching up with the influx of new birds from both illegal practices and the commercial breedind then rehoming cycles. I've said it before and will always say it, that good breeders should require that a bird be returned to them rather than dumped on Craigslist or otherwise rehomed. If more breeders had to accept back unwanted birds, then maybe at least that pipeline would slow down a bit. Certainly there are very conscientious breeders and those who do not have the "poultry mentality," and I'm not speaking about them.

Keep your dream, and work on finding ways to get the research done and modifying your plans to accommodate what you *can* do. :)