NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi, everyone!

My name is Alyson--I'm a second-year college student, and I'm new around here. I adopted a young Timneh back in January; he is now about a year old, and an absolute delight. He is a confirmed male named Hero, and the brightest, most attentive bird I've ever met. I share a dorm room with Hero, a human room-mate, and a five-year old female white-faced cockatiel named Hamlet. Birds have been a significant part of my life for several years--I raised Hamlet in high school, but also kept colonies of finches and parakeets, and have some experience with falcons and birds of prey. Hero's previous owners had to get rid of him when they developed severe allergies to the dander. I was lucky enough to take him, and he was lucky to have a good start in life with people who cared very much about him, even though they ultimately had to give him up. Since them, I've been intensively socializing him, which has been going beautifully. He's a very popular bird in my dorm, and loves relaxing outside with other students. He steps and and down very well, turns around on command, waves, and will increasingly tolerate my handling his back, wings, neck, and feet. Harness training is going very, very slowly, but he will allow me to place the Aviator over his head and will stay still for about 10-20 seconds before getting fidgety. I'm hopeful that by the end of the summer, I'll be able to take him out on the harness, and start working on recall flight training.

So, that's us! Here's a little video of Hero playing around with his blocks on my desk yesterday. Can't wait to get to know some of you better.

[video=youtube_share;8wJsMwLi4fg]

Hah! Karen, he did got for the keyboard, I just cut those bits out. He no longer tries to rip the keys off, but he's discovered that he can turn the music on and off by jumping on the keys.

We have really generously sized rooms, but it's a pretty close fit! (Definitely good motivation to keep the cages super clean, though--I sleep practically right between them.)

Hi Alyson and Hero, and welcome! Loved the video of your adorable guy. It is so heartwarming to know that Hero and Hamlet both went off to college with you, rather than becoming "Craigslist Birds" due to the "I have to move, go to college, change apartments, etc." excuse. It speaks so well of you, Alyson and your true love for your companions. If I was within reach, I'd give you huge hugs, and pass out parrot cookies!!

Edited by Inara

I LOVED Inara's response! It was awesome!

Alyson,,, I am very proud of you, as I am sure your parents are as well. You are very mature and have learned what responsibility means, as a young adult. I forsee your baby thriving, Your plan for socializing is right on! I have two boys in college now, have been involved in Sophie's life for past twelve years. Sophie skypes with them when they are in school, and goes " crazy" the moment they walk in the door. Nancy

Hello Alyson and welcome to our family.

You have quite the charmer there in Hero and so glad you included him in your life whatever it brings and I think we all think the way Inara puts it, her response speaks it all, looking forward to hearing and seeing lots more of Hero.