NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Outdoor Bird Room

Interesting you would say that about the greys and the outdoors. I have screened porches front and back. I often take Timber out on the porches, either on my arm or on his playstand. He tolerates it, but doesn't seem to enjoy it! I was hoping that after enough time passed, he would start liking to be out there. I guess only time will tell.

Interesting you would say that about the greys and the outdoors. I have screened porches front and back. I often take Timber out on the porches, either on my arm or on his playstand. He tolerates it, but doesn't seem to enjoy it! I was hoping that after enough time passed, he would start liking to be out there. I guess only time will tell.

Yes, I have had my greys for almost 8 years and have stayed with them next to a screened window many many times over the years. They have never enjoyed it. I have also spent hours at different times in the outdoor bird room, they hate it!

All greys are different. Mine love to sit at the windows and long to be outside. All they have to do is see their travel cages and they are very willing to come out of their cages and into the wire travel cages because they know it is outdoor porch time. Sterling Gris climbs on the patio drapes all the time in hopes he will get to go outside. I have to be very careful that he does not sneak out when I go in or out. Louie sits on the drapes also hoping to escape. My parrots love the outdoors.

Just an update, I have been sitting out in the bird room for the last half hour. Talon is on a swirling boing and Rikki was on my shoulder, but has ventured onto the back of the couch. All seem quiet, but ok....making progress!! And then there's Nilah climbing everywhere , chewing, yelling!

and they are OUTSIDE!!!! Shhhhh....don't tell them!

• 7 months later...

Hmm - When I first got Miss Dayo she was clipped and I took her outside and she did indeed hate it as well. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to build her and outdoor aviary thinking maybe it's just too much to take in all at once and once she gets used to it she'll love it. I hope so anyway because that would be a lot of work if she didn't like it. Also then I would worry about using screen since she has chewed bird sized holes in my kitchen door screen which I now have covered with silver tape... very attractive.

I cannot wait until it gets warm here in the "webfoot" State of Washington. My son and his wife built my aviary and my oldest daughter and her son painted it for me with color coordinated to my house. My greys got use to it in the late summer so we will see how it goes when the weather warms up. I am very grateful that I had it built off of the birdroom as the greys can come in and out as they wish.