NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Helping my new Timneh adapt

Santaeid

So today I adopted a Timneh that is 9 years old and seems to love just being in his cage. He is in a smaller temporary cage until I can get one. I am choosing between the following two:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Overall-32x18x64-Black-Vein-Bird-Parrot-Cage-Aviary-Flight-Cart-Stand-Chinchilla/141274659028?rt=nc

This one seems to have the same specs as the second one but is just a little smaller and I save $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolling-PlayTop-Ladder-Parrot-Bird-Cage-5-Bowls-Gym-Aviary-Free-Toy-Pet-Supply-/380896965640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58af3a7408

Is there somethign besides the little play area on top? Is it that important? I am not belitting it but just wondering.

Besides my cage question I am wondering what else I should do to make the bird comfortable. If I try to take him out of the cage he starts squawking and shrieks a bit. However when I put my hand over his head and put my hand on his wings and stroke him he seems to be fine. But he loves my shoulder which is cool (jsut need an eyepatch... Arrr!). If I ask him to Step up he does the shrieking thing but eventually does it and runs up to my shoulder.

He wasn't saying anything before to me besides making a sound like a smoke alarm (best sound ever) but started whistling and making a sound of someone hitting a piece of metal with a metal bar. Its like an echoing clang. Its weird and I think he is doing it to mess with me.

Thanks for any help to help him adjust better. I just don't want to do anything wrong. Will post up pics as soon as I get my new cage.

Someone will give you advice on the cage, I don't have enough experience. I do know that the best thing for you to do is leave the door open and let him come out on his own. He needs time to adjust to his new environment and feel safe. His cage is his safety zone. Let him set the pace. He'll come out when he is ready. Good luck and God bless :)

Someone will give you advice on the cage, I don't have enough experience. I do know that the best thing for you to do is leave the door open and let him come out on his own. He needs time to adjust to his new environment and feel safe. His cage is his safety zone. Let him set the pace. He'll come out when he is ready. Good luck and God bless :)

I was looking up stuff last night and saw that. I took him out once by force (well not to make it sound so bad but yknow what I mean). I now have the top door open so he come out.

First off, the first cage that you listed above isn't made for any type for any type of medium to large sized parrot. All greys are considered to be medium sized parrots.The second cage is for medium sized parrots, bars are spaced correctly, doors have bird proof locks, cage has the exact type of coating thats needed because parrots can chew on bars and scrape off coatings on other cages which could be toxic.Price----the price is ideal. Anyone buying a cage for a grey, amazon, a small cockatoo would more than likely spend more.Measurement of cage---the size is the proper one for medium sized parrotsTops---most decent parrot cages have various playstands that are built onto the cage. That's standard for heavy duty cages. Difference in the two cages---first one is made for tiny birds, usually holds at least 5 to 6 birds---canaries, budgies, finches.The bigger cage can hold 1 medium sized parrots or 2 smaller parrots depending on whether they get along with each other which most parrots don't.There's a place on this board called Cages and Stands and you should look at the types of cages there and you see that most resemble the style and strength of the second cage.

Congrats on your new companion and thanks for joining us. What's his name? I like the second cage with the play top best. For a while he may not want to get far from his cage. The play top gives him freedom with control. When he sees something that scares him he can dive into his cage to feel safe. Also his dropping, food or toy shredding messes will fall right to the grates to make cleanup easier. Also if he is skittish for a whole it's easier to clean his cage without upsetting him if you let him get on the play top, then clean up. They are prey animals and he is still checking you out to see if you plan to eat him. After a while he will start to trust you a little at a time. The next thing I like about the second cage is he bar spacing is big enough for you finger to fit through to give him a treat or a scratch without it being quite as threatening to him.

They will step up a lot easier if they are out of the cage. A lot of birds (including mine) have a bit of cage aggression and don't like you sticking body parts in there. They are somewhat territorial about their cages. When I rehomed Timber, he would only step up from outside the cage (when he was on the playstand, top of cage, or floor). Now, I think he would step up from inside the cage but I wouldn't even try it unless it was an emergency. That said, it took several weeks before he trusted me enough to step on my arm. He is afraid of sticks and towels, and will only step on my forearm (never my hand) even now.

The problem with a rehomed bird is you often have no idea of their history. They never forget, and if they had a bad experience you will have the consequences of it without even knowing what happened. With Timber, the "step up" command had a negative connotation for him. When I would say "step up" he would head for the inside of the cage. I learned that if I said "wanna go?" and offered my forearm he would step on.

You are going to have to take it really slow. When you see "grey time" on the forum, that is what it means. Give your bird more time to make the adjustment. It's worth it!

I am fine with giving him time but just wanted a rough estimate so I know. WHen I put my hand in the cage he doesn't shriek like before when I went to change his water bowl and what not so I think its a bit better. He hasn't gone out of his cage yet but I will give it time. I only plan to force him out when I get my new cage for him.

All I have to do is open a parrot's cage and out they pop. When they come out is up to them. Just open the door and let your grey come out as he wants. Patience is usually the most difficult for new owners. Entice your grey to come to you with treats that he would love to have.

Well today he came out of his cage when I opened his cage after a few hours today. Won't get on my finger yet but he got out of his cage and is walking around it. Seems to be a good start. And he said Hello to me a couple of times and what I think he was laughing at.

Well I am ordered a cage and am getting one on May 7th the latest. Hopefully I can see if it will stuck somewhere at a UPS store nearby and I can pick it up tomorrow instead. I am talking and offering food and letting him meet fellow family members. Giving him his space though so he does not get too scared. Still won't let me near him but I am feeding out of my hand somewhat (have to put it a certain distance close to the tip of my fingers or he won't go near it if it is too close to the middle of my hand). But baby steps.

I am trying to also prepare food for him also. Trying to get all the stuff I need. And need to get me some pellets. Will look into it more tomorrow.

Whenever I get the cage it is going to be a hassle because I will have to deal with him not wanting to get near me possibly but hopefully it will all go well.

When I got a new cage for Dorian I let him explore it on his own. First, I built it within his sight but far enough away so that it didn't frighten him. Then, over the course of a few days I slowly rolled it closer to him until I could link the two cages with a Booda perch. Then I put some toys he liked and some of his favourite treats in the dishes of the new cage. It took a few days of me changing out the food and water of two cages, and it took up lots of room, but one day he just walked right into the new cage and started chowing down. He was cage aggressive when I got him and terrified of hands, so it took me over two years before he would step up onto my hand, and always from outside his cage. I still can't use the phrase "step up" with him because he starts shaking. Instead I ask him if he "want(s) to come with Mom". Try to remember that, of the two of you, you're the only one that knows for sure that everything you're doing is to try to make his life better. He's still evaluating the situation. The most important thing to do right now is to focus on building trust, so ask yourself before you do anything if it will make him more trusting or more fearfull. You have years to develop a loving trusting bond with your new companion. Don't let human impatience get in your, or his, way. <3

I suppose its a mixture of impatience and excitement but mostly excitement. He let me pet him a little today and didn't freak out when my hand accidentally got near him. Usually he would freak a little. He also was doing some sort of evil witch cackle laugh when me and my cousin were whistling. He whistled really well and then laughed. And laughed louder as we laughed. Sometimes when we whistle he decides to puff his feathers up, rock his head up and down, and sometimes whistle along with us, laugh, or just rock his head and make no noise.

Santaeid... Whoa!!!! DONT force your rehomed bird out of his cage!I know you want to provide your bird with the best living arrangements, they are very possessive of their cage. Its their home. I learned the hard way. As someone else suggested... move the new cage next to their new home, let bird jump back and forth and let bird get comfortable. Sophie has a metal gym she came with at age two. Upgraded times many gyms.... old gym was put away...was always brought back in the end. My son has repaired it over and over! LOL. She enjoys her new gyms... but she LOVES her old gym. He repairs her old gym in front of her. She watches him like a hawk... then jumps on it and slides down the side 90 miles an hour and stepsup to him. She is pleased! Nancy

I see. Well I was a little nervous because I thought I was moving locally a few miles away and wanted him used to his new cage but I see I should be more patient and now sicne that won't be happening I can be more patient. I was playing a scary game and the bird laughed when I was afraid and jumped. And he has learned how to shut off the light switch near his cage. What a little troll.

But I something else has come up about my bird:

When I got my African Grey Timneh the breeder lady told me he was 7 years old and was a rescue. The owner couldn't give him the attention anymore that he needed and so she took him in. I saw he had a closed band but my cousin noticed today that his band says RL CA 99 3 5 or 5 3 (not sure of order and the space is to show that the numbers are not next to each other). Now to me it looks like my bird was born either 3/5/1999 or 5/3/1999. Now my only problem with this is that this makes him over 15 instead of being 7. My only problem with this is that the lady lied to me and that she cares for birds and has a license so I had to pay tax. And that she should have known the proper age of the bird before she gave it to me. I just want to know if there is anyway to confirm this before I call the lady and ask about it. I feel that I deserve some monetary compensation for being misled. I have a cached copy of her webpage that now shows the bird was written to be about 9 years old. 9 and 15 are still quite a big difference.

As an update I was setting up his new cage in front of him and when I was moving it about I accidentally moved it erratically and he flew to the bed. After hopping around on different objects he finally stepped up on my finger when I finished the cage and he seems to be enjoying it because he is whistling a lot at first. Will post a picture of the bird and the cage as soon as I can. Also his full name is Batman Polly Manzoor Rehman but I think I will just stick with Batman for now.

Now I just need to find an airline travel cage and get him used to it.