NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Getting a CAG and want to make sure I have everything

Santaeid

I have read quite a few articles but since I am getting my bird on Friday everything seems to have been forgotten by me if you know what I mean. I just want to make sure i have everything right. I am also looking at a few other CAGs and choosing one. I just have some questions though:

1. Are bird cages collapisble/you take them apart? I am asking because in the end of June I am traveling and want to take the bird with me for a month and then I am coming back by car. I am looking at travel cages and seeing what is airline approved and may possibly get some stuff from the lady in a bundle (cage, perches, so on).

2. Is there any particularly good food brand. I believe i am supposed to provide fruits and veggies as a treat but they eat some osrt of mixture. I know for dogs that Orijien is a good kibble and that Purina and etc. is garbage. I am looking for the Orijien of bird food and would prefer an organic one. I have looked around

3. I know that the bird will be somewhat needy and am prepared for that since I love being around children and want to have some in the future.

As for food: we use the Harrisons which is highly regarded as the best parrot pellet. There are other good ones that suffice as long as your bird is getting good fresh foods like veggies, sprouts etc. We also use the pellets secondary to the whole foods, not the other way around but there are others who rely on the pellets as the mainstay.

We use Totally Organics TOP pellets & like SterlingSL, as a secondary food. Mostly it's fresh or homemade mashes. Also a small amount of a good seed mix. Good being not all sunflower seeds, dried corn & peanuts. In fact, peanuts from store bought mixes shouldn't be fed as they can be contaminated. Strongly suggest fishing them out if they're in whatever mix you end up using.

However, your bird is probably going to determine what you'll be feeding, initially. Greys can be notoriously finicky eaters. Probably better to ask about the current diet & stick w/it for the time being. Then you can introduce new food gradually & see how it goes.

So, today's the big day...!?! Hope everything goes greyt! Looking forward to pictures & everything real soon. hint, hint lol