NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to know when a Grey is happy ?

ChrisC

Now this might be a difficult question as most people I hope can see or guess when a Grey is not happy or stressed or sick! but being new to Greys I really want to know the signs of happiness in captivity from you experienced owners.

@+ Chris

A signal if a grey is happy is eye pinning, this is when their pupils are shrunk and they can control there irises also, another signal to tell if they are relaxed and happy is if their feathers are fluffed out. There are many more ways but this is just a couple that I know.

I've also read here that if they are grinding their beak they are content. This is actually a question I've asked myself. I mean your question, is Timber (in my case) really happy? I can tell he is content at times, I can tell he is excited at times, I can tell when he is upset or angry. But happy? I wish I knew.

I think a busy Grey who is active and interested and interactive is a happy bird. When they beak grind the are usually going to sleep and contented. When they head bob and their eyes pin they are often excited weather playing or not. Fluffy feathers can be a drowsy bird or a sick bird depends on so many factors. Sometimes they get so carried away with their toys they appear to be angry really giving that toy what for with vocal fussing and can fall to the cage floor. You will learn your own birds little signals to clue you in on his feelings.

Many greys pluck, and are still happy! For us, eye pinning in the beginning, was a " warning". We were invading her territory. As she got older, eye pinning meant she liked what we said, and she was learning. You have to learn to associate the behavior with her stage of development and the relationship! If you are providing a wonderful diet, practicing stepup, engaging with your bird whenever you can and are working on developing trust,you are doing a GREAT job! Don't worry if your bird is happy! Provide a cage and play gym with lots of engaging toys.

I know and understand Sophie now. It takes time. She knows me as well! Our latest battle is she is chewing my Longenberger basket full of shells from my travels. She is throwing the shells out and chewing my basket. I am annoyed, and she knows it! She is annoyed that I am interrupting her fun. Nancy

Ha Nancy - this reminds me of a response I left on the Grey FB page. Someone was asking to post up what their Grey's favorite toy was. My response: "A cardboard box perched on the edge of the counter (this is important) with stuff in it that can be tossed to the floor below and makes a huge racket (metal spoons, cups). Also things that can be shredded like paper cups etc"

We always act 'annoyed' when we 'find' her in the toy box and always make a huge deal out of the mess she's made. She enjoys the racket we make about it even more.

That is too cute Sterling. I love it!! Peanut does the head bob thing, but only when I sing 'our' song to him. Each of my birds have their own song - and I had better sing all three or I hear about it! I also know he is happy when he gives me kisses - either that or he wants a nut!

HRH Inara, when she is feeling particularly pleased, will fluff all of her feathers up then gives fast and furious tail wags at the same time. She also does a little happy dance and sings a little song that she made up that goes "doop doop doop." She just gives off a 'sense' of being happy. When she is content, she sits quietly and grinds her beak softly. She's engaged with her humans and her environment; is active and playful; eats well, grooms herself and bathes herself regularly, and doesn't shriek for attention; she chats animatedly and seeks interactions. Those are all signals to me of a well adjusted and happy bird (and/or human for that matter).

Phoenix is happiest when he throws every single one of his toys out of his toy box then looks at me as if to say "You ARE going to pick them up aren't you"? It's impossible to get mad at him and I know I encourage it by laughing but I can't help it. He's just too cute!

• Haha 1

Hero will give slight little wing flicks, like he's shuffling his primaries, when he's 'settling in' with a human he likes. Of course, he's happiest when he sneaking up onto the bookshelf to chew the covers off my books. If he's particularly happy with me, he'll sing, "Good boy! Good boy!" Like Inara said, whenever a bird is out looking for company, and trying to be part of the group or conversation, or getting into whatever you're doing, whenever they're trying to engage, you can be pretty sure they like what's going on, and want to experience more!

So I gave it some thought... Sophie always seems happy, but I now can say special happy moments. Its just a reflex now, but some things Sophie likes alot. I leave the pizza box out to chew. I leave the tangerine box for her. Several forks and spoons out on countertop for her to throw off and enjoy the sound. If I forget to leave them, she throws them on the floor from dishrack. She is very self entertaining and wags her tail all the time. Trouble is her middle name and she is afraid of NOTHING!When my NO becomes too much, I pick her up and she is the happiest on my shoulder wagging her tail. If she is out playing in the same room as me and quiet.... bad knews! she is into something!LOL! Nancy

A signal if a grey is happy is eye pinning, this is when their pupils are shrunk and they can control there irises also, another signal to tell if they are relaxed and happy is if their feathers are fluffed out. There are many more ways but this is just a couple that I know.

I would like to add - excitement or extreme happiness can cause eye pinning (as well as anger! be sure to examine the context!) and a partial fluffing, usually with neck NOT extended is happy, but if the neck is extended and ALL feathers including coverts are fluffed, they may be trying to look "bigger" which is a sign of threatening. Peck does this a lot. It is usually accompanied by a side to side head motion, sometimes beak "clicks" (a SHARP click, not the smooth grinding noise, which is a sign of contentment) and often followed by a rapid lunge and strike at the closest body part.

The green cheeked conures also do this. The side to side motion is very serpentine, in fact I often say "Are you being a cobra-bird again?"

When Peck truly is happy, such as when he is in the playroom, his feathers are usually mostly flat with some mild fluffing around the neck. If he gets fluffed all over, I know I am in for a possible bite.

• 2 weeks later...