NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Few questions

Kerosene

10 brownie points for whoever can understand my rambling..

I was doing some research and i read that most Congos tend to change their favored person at a certain age. Is this true? If there is only one person taking care of them and whatnot, will they just turn around and decide to hate that person forever?

Also, is it better to get an older bird or a baby? I know it depends on the bird itself and whatnot. But I figured I'd ask for everyone's personal opinion and hear from both sides.

I would prefer to rescue a bird, but at the same time, I'm a little weary of adopting a bird that may very well be the spawn of Satan.

Well, I'm new at this too (I've had Klaus about 4 months). Yes, I have heard that around the age of 2 years, the bird's personality will change and they often attach themselves to someone else in the household. I'm not sure what happens if you live alone with the bird.

As far as older bird vs. baby, I would definitely say baby. Older birds will be more set in their ways and I would think the adjustment to a new home would be harder than with a baby.

On the other hand, it would be hard to beat the satisfaction of knowing you rescued your little guy...

Hello Kerosene - I'm so happy to hear you're doing a lot of research and asking some great questions! I researched for about 4 years before bringin my first parrots home.

As far as older/rescue birds...if you're patient and checking local resources, some fantastic birds become available for some really valid reasons. For instance, I got my CAG when she was 12 years old. That was a year and a half ago. She and my eclectus were in a home and the woman got a new job that was taking her away from home more than she was used to and felt it would be harmful to her birds if she kept them as she couldn't provide the home to them that she knew they deserved. I talked with her for over an hour on the phone when I saw the ad in the paper. Then my daughter and I went to her house and spent several hours with her and the birds before deciding I would take them both home (and she deciding that she would let them go with me...she turned down several people on the phone. Another good sign that someone has the best interest of the birds in mind!). My CAG is a very sweet girl. She takes awhile to get used to men (but then so do some of the rest of us! ;) ), but eventually does and now steps up on just about anyone. She also has never bitten...yet.

So, there are some very well cared-for and fantastic birds that periodically are looking for new homes. We just added another eclectus about 2 months ago (we've been looking for about a year). Similar situation in that the owner just wanted to find a home that would take better care than they felt they could anymore.

That said, I was very anxious about it each time. I think I have been very blessed.

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted you to know it's possible to end up with a great, older, bird...particularly if you're willing to be patient and do your homework (which it sounds like you are).

Good luck to you!

Lisa

Personality change is a myth. In a household, birds shouldn't be allowed to have a *favored* person A new bird coming into a house should be socialized with the whole family. Everyone should partake in it's care, cleaning, treat giving, handling etc. It's the MOST IMPORTANT step that should be taken IMMEDIATELY. As the grey gets older, he will favor certain things with one person and other things with other people. Example----a grey might like a certain person to scratch their head but not be touched anywhere else. The same bird might favor another thing with another person. Most of the time, it's the person's fault that the bird has decided on a favorite. That happens when there's the slightest hint from the bird that it's acting one way with one person but not the same way with another. People immediately see that and put the label *favoritism* on what's happening. From that point on, it escalates to *one person bird*. Then, the person who feels not as close to the bird or even worse, *rejected* by the bird starts to avoid the bird guaranteeing that the bird will choose one over another. As any parrot gets older and matures it shows a liking for one person over another but only in certain things and that changes constantly. The only thing that guaranteed with an older adopted bird is that the bird's permanent unknown personality travels with it to the new home and the new owner has to accept that. So an inexperienced bird person should stay away from older birds that're up for adoption. Most of the time that older bird winds up going back to the shelter.<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/02 05:48

I agree with the information everyone has posted so far, mostly.

One thought though, if a person such as yourself is doing all the research ahead of time. Understands the personalty traits of the type Parrot decided on and has enough love and compassion based on the knowledge they have gained to search the rescues, spend some time with the adoption candidates and finds one that seems to like them also. Then by all means, rescue that Grey or other Parrot type you have chosen and they seemingly have chosen you also.

The key here, I believe is understanding upfront, what a large responsibility your taking on and have the love, compassion, patience and determination that, no matter what, that Grey or other Parrot is yours for life and you will love it unconditionally.

This means, they may not like cuddling, scratches or much interaction, love them anyway. They may never speak a word, love them anyway. They may only allow you close enough to have them step to carry them someplace, but that's all, love them anyway. It may take a year to just get them to step up, love them anyway.

If you can do the things listed above, you would be a good candidate to rescue any Parrot.

If you cannot do the above, you would not only be the wrong person to adopt a Parrot, you would also be the wrong person to ever purchase a baby Parrot.

They both would require unconditional love.

I have a Peach Front Conure that I purchased and was a wild breeder. It has been over a year now and he will only step up. That's all. He does not want to be touched in anyway. It took tons of time and commitment to get him to step up. But, I and my wife love him dearly and can still honestly say he brings he smile to our face each and everyday just by being himself. He will probably never speak a word and will bite if a hand comes near him, but it is expected if it's not to have him step up...IF HE wants to.

So, you have a lot of time to research, think and come to conclusion before you decide which path you will take in the next year or so.

I appreciate your researching and asking questions far a head of time before taking the plunge!!

I have *heard* this rumor also, though I've never experienced it myself....I'm sure everyone on here who knows me, know me as the advocate for rescue, or adopting an older Grey!:laugh: They very well could be the spawn of Satan....my older Grey was cage bound for 10 years in an 18"X18" cage until she came home with me, she was mean, she hissed, growled, grumbled you name it. Would you believe it 7 months later this same bird will now give me a kiss when I ask for one, and let's me scratch her all over! It can be done trust me!

I would always recommend going and meeting the rescued bird first and try often if you can, I visited mine both 4 times, so that when they came home and got a new cage, and new smells, toys etc, at least they had a familiar person so that not EVERYTHING was completely different!