NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New CAG Mom!

Monday night was an exciting night for us. We brought Bella, a 2 year old CAG home. She is beginning to warm up to us, but doesn't allow us to handle her yet. She does talk, mostly to my cat and when we are just outside the room, and it is still hard to understand most of what she says. This morning, however, she was very affectionate and wanted me to pet her head and closed her eyes as I did. She was enjoying it. However, when I opened her door to let her out, she decided I couldn't pet her then. And she HATES her misting bath. Her previous owner said she loved it. What am I doing wrong?? And any ideas to help me get her more at ease in the home so she will venture away from the cage? Also-is cheese safe for them to eat? I have heard both yes and no. I need some seasoned advice on this and other food choices for her. HELP! and Thanks!

Welcome to the Grey family amartin. Bella sounds like a lovely lady. Just follow her lead. Is she flighted or clipped? I give my parrots small pieces of cheddar cheese. And yes most parrots love it. About once a week is the schedule of cheese for my fids. As for the misting my parrots love it. I mist them with a fine sprayer outside their cages. They love to sit on top of their playtops and open their wings and get totally soaked. I would just follow Bella's lead and take things slowly. When she is ready to be handled she will let you know. Talk to her. My parrots love to listen to me talk to them. They so want to understand what we would like them to do so just show Bella. There are oodles of threads here on the forum with more information and answers to most questions so, read, read, read. When you get a chance we would love to see some pictures of Bella.

Hi amartin and welcome to you and Bella to the grey forum.

Give you new little girl some time to settle in to your home.

You are going hear a lot about a thing called grey time and how important it is to understand what it is when it comes to living with a grey.

If you ever need help, just ask.

It takes a while for many greys to trust her new family. The misting is an example. If her former caretaker showed you a technique that worked for her but not for you, there isn't something you are doing wrong except not being "her". Once Bella gets settled, that will change. For her to allow you to scratch her head in the cage this early is a good sign. You will learn Bella's comfort zone, best time of the day to approach her and all her favorite treats and meals. Something she loves may be rejected at first. If you don't take it personally, you will make a lot more progress as she learns to trust you more. Congratulations on finding a unique and wonderful companion. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome. When we say time we mean lots of time. Sometimes it takes months or even years, but the time you invest is sooo worth it!! Try spraying her with different intensity and different temperatures. My TAG likes his showers warm. My SUn likes his cool - of course they couldn't be the same! LOL Bella will come around as long as you show her that you will be patience and give her the love. Pictures please.

Congratulations on your new companion! You must be so delighted and excited, and we are for you! It's natural in our excitement to want to jump right in and begin doing all sorts of wonderful things with and for our new Greys, but unlike dogs and other companion animals birds are different. Bella has just left her home of origin and everything is new to her and also can be confusing. It is a great sign that she is seeking your affection, just watch and read her. She's made it known that in her cage is fine because she had the bit of a barrier between you. Remember, birds are prey animals and every other creature to them can be considered a predator -- even ones with well meaning intentions. What you do now, will set the pace for you and Bella in the future.

Slow down a bit. Give Bella some time to settle in. She's got lots of new surroundings and stimuli to figure out, including you. :) Be matter of fact, nonchalant, and low key with her right now. Personally, I'd hold off on the misting for a bit until you've established more of a rapport with her. When her cage is open and you're reaching in to pet her, she may be perceiving that as you trying to take her out of what to her right now is her secure surroundings. Just ease up a bit, make overtures and like Loveparrots suggested, read, read, read.

So delighted for you!

Thank you everyone! She isn't much on venturing out today. But her cage is open if she so chooses.

She is not clipped. Something spooked her yesterday and she flew all over the living room. I am not certain I want her clipped. We do have a cat, and although the cat doesn't bother her yet, I want Bella to be able to get away from her if the need presents itself.

Will lemon or orange oil be ok to add to homemade furniture polish? I know they are very sensitive to scents... I threw out allll the cleaning products I had and am going the homemade route. Also threw out my cookware set and Forman grill and am buying ceramic cookware today that is ptfe free.

It is not the smells but rather the toxins that become part of what we breathe. Some candles have lead in the wick to help it stand up and that is toxic when burned as may some ingredients be. Great on the cookware if it can kill them it surely cannot be good for us either. Spray misteing should fall gently on your bird from above rather than spraying at them a hint that may help. Yes patience is your very best tool in helping you new bird adjust to your household and you.

Tons of things I would have never imagined would be harmful... Threw out a box of microwave pop corn as well. I will have to find Teflon free brands as my kids and husband love it. I need or find out if my oven will be a hazard. I won't use the self cleaning function, but need to know if the coating inside is safe. I believe it to be porcelain enamel.

Hello Amartin and welcome to our family.

Yes lots of changes to be made when bringing in a grey or any bird for that matter but it looks like you have it covered. Looking forward to hearing and seeing more.

Edited by judygram