NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red Tail

magnus

I'm just curious how come a CAG has bright red tail? I tried finding an answer over the net to no avail.

Is it for attracting a mate or for some other purpose? It is quite strange that their tail has a totally different color than their body feathers so there could be a reason for such difference.

fun question to ponder, have not read anything about this subject but I would think that it may may assist with directing predators to the least damageable end of the bird. Perhaps it may add to the confusion of what to focus on when a ground feeding flock takes off in a big swirl, or may help them keep visual contact in flight. I really don't know, what do the rest of you think?

I remembered the story of how the Greys got their tails here is the link to Graestone's post from 2008

How the African Grey got it's red tail

Edited by Greywings

In the jungles and rain forests, red can often mean poison to predators. So perhaps with our little ground foragers, when their heads are down foraging in the biomass on the ground, their red tails are up and can fool predators into thinking "poisonous creature," while the Greys are at their most vulnerable. Greywings, I love the legend of how they go their red tails -- thanks for the link!

A very interesting question....I would love to learn more! I am just happy to have my Grey have her red tail! I really dont ask why she has her feathers, her tail,... I am just happy she has them! Someday, I would LOVE the time to investigate why Sophie my Grey is such a perfect bird. I work too much, care for too many animals. Nancy