NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Going to the Vet

Muse

Tomorrow will be Peck's first vet visit in 22 years. I do not expect this to be easy. We tried a trial run today. First the "coaxing" into the travel cage. No way. Then trying to get him even near a step up stick. Vetoed most viciously. (He lunges at my arm if I offer it, though he usually misses, which is leading me to believe he may be missing on purpose).

He's calmed down a lot. He and Megan were calling back and forth tonight between the rooms. It was really cute. I think they are going to get along fine. She seems more curious than jealous. She was showing off her bird calls during their "conversation" ("How's a dove go? *mourning dove call* That's a dove" etc.) Peck seemed pretty impressed. He would answer with a cooing sound. She also did a grackle and a chicken. (More aptly, my poor imitation of a chicken that she has learned). He did that haunting hollow whistle and she tried to imitate it back to him with a pretty good rendition.

I am hoping dragging him to the vet does not destroy all this. I am going to have to towel him, and he is not going to be happy with me. I am used to sweet, gentle Mar, who was taught from babyhood to snuggle in a warm fleece so he never minded being toweled. He would nestle on my chest and I would gently cover him and then hand him off to the vet. If it goes anything like our practice today, Peck is going to be very unwilling.

I considered putting off taking him to the vet but his nails are in terrible shape. He walks on the side of his toes because the toenails are so curved he cannot get the toes flat on the floor. The beak he seems to deal with, though I suspect he must have a terrible dry mouth from it being open all the time. :( But just seeing his feet hurts me and I know it must be terrible for him.

IMG_0964.JPG

This is not the best picture, but if you look you can see what looks like a ring below his foot hanging from the cage door. It is not. That is one of his nails. They are that long.

Please, if you pray, say a little prayer that he won't be too stressed and that the vet visit will go well.

In thinking about this vet visit, I agree it is necessary and will hold you in my thoughts and prayers. It is my hope that although initially, it will be stressful for you and for Peck, he will come home knowing it was beneficial to him when his nails are not troubling him and especially if they can help his beak issue. Our vet made Gilbert's first visit as not threatening and least invasive as possible. He suggested holding off on bloodwork because the stress level of rehoming alone would be enough to cause unnatural readings. We had a meet and greet and waited a little while for those. With Peck it is different because there are some changes that will benefit him greatly. Considering his history, your vet will address the most pressing issues and hopefully find a way to meet Peck and assess how to best approach the task with the least amount of handling. When we had a sick baby grey so long ago, our forum friends suggested speaking to him and telling him what we were doing and asking for cooperation. It sounds a little simplistic, but by doing that it seemed to help me visualize a good interaction and when I asked Juno to help me and to take his meds, whether it helped him or just helped me cope, it did help. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Peck and when he comes home with Megan there to help him realize you are his friend and he is in good hands.

In thinking about this vet visit, I agree it is necessary and will hold you in my thoughts and prayers. It is my hope that although initially, it will be stressful for you and for Peck, he will come home knowing it was beneficial to him when his nails are not troubling him and especially if they can help his beak issue. Our vet made Gilbert's first visit as not threatening and least invasive as possible. He suggested holding off on bloodwork because the stress level of rehoming alone would be enough to cause unnatural readings. We had a meet and greet and waited a little while for those. With Peck it is different because there are some changes that will benefit him greatly. Considering his history, your vet will address the most pressing issues and hopefully find a way to meet Peck and assess how to best approach the task with the least amount of handling. When we had a sick baby grey so long ago, our forum friends suggested speaking to him and telling him what we were doing and asking for cooperation. It sounds a little simplistic, but by doing that it seemed to help me visualize a good interaction and when I asked Juno to help me and to take his meds, whether it helped him or just helped me cope, it did help. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Peck and when he comes home with Megan there to help him realize you are his friend and he is in good hands.
- emphasis mine

You know - it is not simplistic at all. When we form thoughts into words (which is an extra step humans take) those thoughts are also in their basic form. Temple Grandin calls it thinking in pictures. I am not sure at all that Greys are not more than empathic but slightly telepathic, or at least far, far more intelligent than we thought. Here is why. One of the last times I took Mar out (he loved car rides and going out to eat) I put his "diaper" on, but for some reason he threw an absolute tantrum at the harness. I tried talking soothing to him and it was having NO effect. He finally looked me square in the eye and loudly and emphatically shouted a very clear "NO!" Once I recovered from the shock, I told him, "Look, you can't go out in just your diaper. If you want to go bye-bye in the car with mommy, you are going to have to put the harness on." He paused for a moment, then moved his head up. I moved the harness towards him and he did not flinch or move away and I simply slipped it over his head. He remained cooperative as I snugged up the waist. How much of those complex sentences did he understand? How much of what I was thinking was he able to "see"? A combination of both, maybe?

Then with Megan - we were having a TERRIBLE time getting her back in her cage. It meant at the least a fight and at the worst a good hard bite (refer to picture of the bruise on my forearm in the bite club thread). EVERY time was a battle. Then I decided to start reasoning with her. Can animals reason? Science and "behaviorists" say no. I say yes. So the next time I needed to go somewhere (grocery shopping) I walked to the cage with her on my arm and calmly explained to her that I needed to go bye-bye to get more food, and I promised I would be back. I added that I would bring her something very good. She looked at the cage, turned and looked at me, looked back at the cage and stepped off on the perch. This has worked repeatedly. When I have to put her in the cage, say to go outside if my husband is not home, I now explain that it is temporary, and ask her if she wants "something good" to have while I am gone. I usually give her a handful of fresh mix to pick through or an almond in the shell.

I am definitely going to have a "talk" with Peck. He's done really well at understanding other things I have said to him. He instantly accepts redirection when he accosts something I'd rather he didn't during his travels on the floor. I suspect he is a very intelligent guy.

Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers!

Certainly, Peck at some point will feel relieved to have his nails trimmed, and a good once over. Good lord those nails!!! My heart just goes out to him. I'm wondering if it will take a few sessions to get them down to where they need to be. Bless his little heart.

I do believe that birds and all animals have telepathic abilities stemming from their ancient brains. Along those lines, I intentionally slow my breathing, close my eyes, and visualize while holding Inara my love for her wrapping around her like a soft warm swirl of colors. I do this daily. There are times when I will be thinking of something, and she pipes up with a word for it. For example yesterday, I was very stiff and while walking past her cage, I was thinking to myself how painful it was to walk (bad back) and at that very moment she sang "Walllk" (from Walk Like An Egyptian). She made me laugh, then she laughed! Holy cow -- she *just* did it now while I was typing this! The parts of their brains that control empathy are far more developed than in the human brain -- not surprising they have such sensitive abilities. (Didn't mean to hijack your thread here :) )

Back to Peck -- I do think that he will intuitively know that what you are doing is to help him. He seems pretty resilient so far, and I'm holding good thoughts for you that he will recover nicely from this. So glad that Megan is welcoming him. He is in such good hands, wings, and beaks :)

Peck may not like the vet visit (What bird does?), but when he can walk normally and probably not have some pain form it, he will be a happy camper in that department. He'll get over it. Hoping it all goes without the vet losing an eye and maybe a digit or two. :)

I agree that if your Vet can just do what is required with minimal stress he will appreciate the relief he gains. Just explain what is going to happen and why before you get into the office for his appointment. He is a survivor and a smart guy as well, he may surprise you.

Tomorrow will be Peck's first vet visit in 22 years. I do not expect this to be easy. We tried a trial run today. First the "coaxing" into the travel cage. No way. Then trying to get him even near a step up stick. Vetoed most viciously. (He lunges at my arm if I offer it, though he usually misses, which is leading me to believe he may be missing on purpose).

He's calmed down a lot. He and Megan were calling back and forth tonight between the rooms. It was really cute. I think they are going to get along fine. She seems more curious than jealous. She was showing off her bird calls during their "conversation" ("How's a dove go? *mourning dove call* That's a dove" etc.) Peck seemed pretty impressed. He would answer with a cooing sound. She also did a grackle and a chicken. (More aptly, my poor imitation of a chicken that she has learned). He did that haunting hollow whistle and she tried to imitate it back to him with a pretty good rendition.

I am hoping dragging him to the vet does not destroy all this. I am going to have to towel him, and he is not going to be happy with me. I am used to sweet, gentle Mar, who was taught from babyhood to snuggle in a warm fleece so he never minded being toweled. He would nestle on my chest and I would gently cover him and then hand him off to the vet. If it goes anything like our practice today, Peck is going to be very unwilling.

I considered putting off taking him to the vet but his nails are in terrible shape. He walks on the side of his toes because the toenails are so curved he cannot get the toes flat on the floor. The beak he seems to deal with, though I suspect he must have a terrible dry mouth from it being open all the time. :( But just seeing his feet hurts me and I know it must be terrible for him.

[ATTACH]25112[/ATTACH]

This is not the best picture, but if you look you can see what looks like a ring below his foot hanging from the cage door. It is not. That is one of his nails. They are that long.

Please, if you pray, say a little prayer that he won't be too stressed and that the vet visit will go well.

Also, make sure to tell the vet about his general personality (biting at times) and then, walk away. Let your bird take out it's anger on the vet. Not to worry, avian vets are very used to that. Then he'll feel better about going home.

Cotay will only step up for me if I put a dish towel over my arm then she is okay. The step up stick sends her into a fitted rage too so try the towel first. Who knows why she won't just step up but I get bit hard if it isn't there. Lol best wishes today!

Ps. Bongo has a weird growing beak also and yes, dry mouth does happen with him.

Okay! Update!

First the bad news:

It appears that his nails were grown out so long, that it has caused some deformity in his left long toe. She said it appears the joint may even be a bit arthritic. Nothing can be done there. She also mentioned he walks a bit bow-legged. It could all stem from his nails being overgrown for so long. As I said before, he had not been to a vet in 22 years. This is the *ONLY* bad news (pending blood work).

The good news - she gave him an EXTREMELY good exam. I had some concerns about his toileting habits, mainly in that he will squat down, do what I call the Congo African Grey Butt Wiggle, and sometimes nothing comes out, as if he's constipated. Then he will do it again and produce a normal stool. She did a thorough exam of his cloaca, and even up in a bit, and said everything looked great. She did a swab and a stool sample, and it was negative for pathogens.

She said his feathers look wonderful. She reassured me about his flights (which I thought looked over-preened). Without calling me a nervous mommy, she basically explained that they look really good to her. I also discussed his not flying with her. She suspected it was from being kept in a cage for extended periods of time, and being away from other birds. She believes Megan will soon teach him now to be a bird. She was pleased with his overall appearance - eyes, ears, etc.

She thinks the beak is congenital, as both upper and lower are extended and more narrow. She did trim both and especially the lower beak and said he may need regular trimmings to keep it in a shape that does not interfere with his eating. He can now get his mouth mostly closed! I am hoping he can now crack pine nut shells as well as Megan. He could not before. Time will tell, right now he is refusing everything and chilling out on his swing.

He was SOOOOOO good!!!! I softly explained (in tears) that he needed to see the vet and it was important to get his toes fixed so his feet would feel better. I apologized for having to take him but said once it was all over he would feel much better. He went down to the bottom of the cage, but did not do the wild growl at me, and let me wrap him in a towel and gently put him in the travel cage he had arrived in just a few days ago. I also wondered if he thought maybe this meant I was taking him somewhere to leave him, so I reassured him we were both coming home again when we were done at the vet.

I strapped the cage in the front seat because it has a little sliding door I was not entirely sure he could not open and I wanted to keep an eye on him. He whistled nicely and along with music on the way there. He did do his really LOUD whistle as we walked in the door. I am sure the smells of an exotic vet are scarey since many other patients are predators (snakes, lizards, ferrets, etc). I sat down next to him and talked softly while we waited (we were WAAAAAAY early because I anticipated problems that, thanks to all of the good thoughts and prayers from everyone here, never materialized). He remained calm even in the exam room. The tech toweled him out of the cage, so I got to sit back and not be the bad guy. She found he likes his feet stroked. So while the vet very patiently tried to listen to his heart and lungs, she stroked his foot and he quieted right down. He also requested, by bowing his head, scritches when we got back in the car. I obliged him and he seemed to enjoy it. I suspect once he's been integrated into the flock, he will realize he likes touch as he seems to be comforted by it.

During the whole process, he protested, not quite as vehemently as Megan does. There was none of the deep, wild growl that he did that first night as I rolled his cage into the kitchen. He did not bite one person, nor did he really even try to. I suspect he understood my emphasis on how badly needed this vet visit was.

We had some extra bloodwork done to hasten the quarantine process. She said a minimum of two weeks, so it will not be this Thursday, but next Thursday IF his blood tests all come back good, that he will get to meet Miss Megan. I cannot wait for her to start showing him what it means to be a flighted bird.

Thanks to everyone who prayed and sent good thoughts. It really helped!

Now I must go and fulfill my promise to Megan to give her some extra mom-time for being patient and staying in her cage while I took Peck to the vet!

Awwww. Everything sounds great! I am glad the vet visit went well. I too, believe in reasoning with Sophie. I think Peck has come along way in such a short time! Can you imagine what he will be like when the trust is 100%? He is a wise bird, and already has shown that. The sky is the limit with Peck, now that he has a home and parrent to let him see the true potential he has. I LOVE that Megan and he have been calling back and forth. I agree that Megan probably will teach him how to fly, as Kiki taught Sophie. Peck is on my bird radar, for a bird to watch! There may be ups and downs, but I think he is going to be amazing! Nancy

What great news! I'm believing the blood work will all be good too. A positive vet visit is always such a relief (to me at least). Peck sure seemed to take it in stride. I will have had Timber for two years in June, and he goes to the vet for a nail trimming and exam every six months. With him, it never gets easier. He doesn't seem to appreciate his better mobility after the trim, and I swear he spends the next six months devising ways to NOT be trapped in the pack-o-bird for the next visit. He's such a spoiled brat! To top it off, I can always expect a "spite bite" just to express his displeasure after we return. He has the nerve to wait until after cuddle time, when he has his fill of face and beak scratching. On the way back to his cage, he will look straight at me, bend down and take a section of skin from my forearm, then march on to his cage and look very satisfied with himself. The ONLY time he does this is after a vet visit, ha.

Greys have so much personality. I can't wait to see how your relationship with Peck grows and evolves, and to hear about his first encounter with Megan :)

That is good news and Peck behaved impressively. I enjoyed the way you interacted with him before you toweled him in the cage. Somehow, some way mentally or telepathically, he understood based on his compliance. I have no doubt, even with some arthritis and maybe a little deformity, he is already feeling a pleasurable difference. Great job! :)

Surprise you he did, glad the visit was a positive one it will help his trust building that he should feel more comfortable now. A heated perch can be a comfort to arthritic feet. I think a really good diet, real Sunlight and lots of exercise and love can help him bloom.

What fantastic news! What a relief to read this morning that Mr. Peck (and you) sailed through the vet visit. He is apparently a very intrepid guy. Stressors aren't always a bad thing, and Peck obviously has a feel for your intentions toward him. It is really great to know that while he's a bit bowlegged that there was no mention of bumble foot and that your vet was able to work on his beak as well. He's got to feel like a new guy this morning! Looking forward to many more photos, and to years of stories about his new adventures. He will be the perfect ambassador for your sanctuary. :>

This was some great, and very patient work by a very good avian vet, Dr. Eckermann-Ross.

PeckCloseup.jpg

Before - notice how elongated his beak appears, both top and bottom.

IMG_1085.JPG

After- he appears much more relaxed, and can get the beak closed. Even the shape of his head looks different now that his beak is not being held so far apart.

And his talons of power?

IMG_1072.JPG

You can see his left foot is the affected one. The long toe was curled almost all the way around. The big joint where the toe connects to the foot is huge compared to the other foot. The foot seems weaker and the toe appears to have atrophied.

Tonight I had him chasing my fingers all over the cage. He acts like he *really* wants to bite me and will make a bee-line for my fingers if they are even near where he thinks he can reach them. So I had him climbing and hanging from the top of the cage, and going from perch to perch chasing them. Hopefully by using it he can build some strength. It does not seem to be causing him pain, as perches on it just fine. But he could just be a tough guy, too.

I spoke to his previous human, and she said she wished she'd have known he would tolerate the vet so well as she would have taken him years ago. She said when she took him as a young bird, he got completely freaked out and was shaking all over by the time they got him home. I know this was right after they got him, so maybe he was not long out of the jungle and completely scared by being thrust into our human "civilization"?

I am just glad I know he does well at the vet, and he will get regular vet care now. I really love this little guy.