NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Meet Peck ...

Muse

Video of his first experience coming out of the cage. He spent a bit of time at first being all puffy, then he relaxed, his feathers smoothed and he got comfortable with me being close. (Note: there were a few pistachios harmed in this process, and they were delicious).

Here are some pictures:

PeckwithAlmond.jpg

He very gently took this almond from my hand. No growling or lunging. Very polite little man.

PeckeatingAlmond.jpg

Here he was really digging into that almond, and he acted like he was really enjoying it.

PeckCloseup.jpg

This is just a close up view. His bottom beak looks a bit overgrown. He will be going to the vet very soon. He will also get a nice pedicure while he is there, along with bloodwork, etc. He hasn't been to a vet for a very long time. This should prove interesting.

EveningSnack.jpg

This was evening, when I'd moved him back to the dining room. He seemed very relaxed. He did not like being in the kitchen. He even GROWLED very loudly at me, but once I brought him into the dining room (which serves as living room/dining room) he calmed right down. I sat opposite him in a recliner chair for several hours. I even dozed off, and he woke me with some VERY loud whistles each time. He had almonds and apple for his evening snack. I offered him some of our dehydrated mix in a new bowl but he seems to be avoiding the bowl for now. He doesn't seem afraid of it, just not wanting to get into it. I topped it with a couple of pistachios, so I know it is not that he doesn't like the mix.

We went out to eat, and then ran to the store for a few things, and when we got home, he fluffed up and gave me another very loud whistle. It wasn't the "a-wooooo" sound Megan makes, it was more like a ascending whistle. I whistled back and he then did a descending one. His calls are just beautiful. Very clear. I can just imagine how far they could be heard across a jungle. I checked on him a few minutes ago, turned out the lights in the china cupboard and curio cabinets. He has one small nightlight in there, but the room is mostly dark. Hopefully he will sleep well.

The whole family came to drop him off. When the time drew near for them to leave, the boys and their mother were in the playroom with Peck. I went to get the pistachios, and when I returned, she had tears in her eyes. I could tell it was very hard for them to leave him. I really admire her for putting his needs first. I promised her he will be very well taken care of here. She said she knew he would and we both ended up in tears. It was very emotional. I am sure he picked up on a lot of this.

After they left, I stayed quietly close to him and he slowly made his way out of the cage (see the video), and I suddenly felt an overwhelming sadness. I'm not sure if it was seeing him sit and flap his wings but yet not fly that triggered it. I stopped the video and just cried, and he moved closer and gave me a look. It was one I used to see in Mar's eyes whenever he saw me cry. I also get the same look sometimes from Megan. I don't know how to explain it. It is almost like they are trying to comfort me with their eyes. I wonder how much of our thoughts and feelings they can truly read. We remained quietly staring at each other for a few minutes before he made his way back in the cage.

Megan saw him through the French doors, and didn't peck at the glass (like she does with the outdoor birds) or fluff up or do her "a-wooooo" sound. So that is a good sign. She seemed idly curious. I hope she remains that way. I am so hoping they will get along. All I can do is pray.

Everyone else seemed grumpy today because the normal routine was interrupted and they had to wait for me to air out the playroom before they could go in. Peck didn't touch anything in there, so I just opened the outside door and the door to the kitchen and let the very brisk breeze blow through for a while before letting the other birds in. Once he starts playing with the stuff I will have to give him the last turn of the day and then steam the room before the next morning. At least until he's gotten the all-clear from the vet. I am pretty sure he's not carrying anything, as he has been healthy for 22 years and has not been around another bird for over 15 years, but still want to see his labs come back clean. Meanwhile he will be spending lots of time with me, so he does not get lonely.

He didn't seem to mind the birdie chaos this afternoon when everyone got loud during birdie fun time. That is a good sign. Maybe by being around young human children he isn't going to mind the noise level here.

I will keep you all posted as to his progress. For now, I am absolutely exhausted and going to go collapse!

Good night to all!

--

Muse (Dee)

He did awesome!! Triple points for doing it in front of the camera too because that will spook a lot of greys.

Loved the way you could see him processing the other birds & the cool bird room. But even though he was not at ease, he didn't seem afraid, either. Fabulous first day. So happy for you guys.

What a wonderful update! Peck seems very relaxed to me and is certainly checking out the new digs. He seems very comfortable and inquisitive in that video. The interaction with your whistle was great. Thanks so much for sharing all this. It was going to be a real treat to watch this progress. :)

Loved the video of his first day. He looks sleek and beautiful. It is a grand new beginning of your life together. I was taken by his willingness to continue eating as you approached. His exploration on the first day in a new environment speaks to the care and stability he has had. I think you are off to a great start. Congratulations Peck, you have won the lottery of finding yourself in the perfect home for you.

Wow! What a perfect treat to go with my first cup of coffee of the day. The video of Peck is marvelous. Loved listening to him and seeing him respond so well to you and his new surroundings. What a beautiful and regal guy he is! Very nice to know that Megan did not appear to be threatened by seeing him. Can't wait for more updates and to learn more about Mr. Peck. Your bird area is so beautiful, by the way and Peck will no doubt love exploring it once he has the all clear.

It certainly was natural for you to have had those poignant feelings well up last night. You have been through so much with the loss of your beloved Mars, and it's to be expected that there will be many things about Peck that remind you of that loss while at the same time warming your heart. Wonderful to hear that Peck showed empathy toward you during those moments, I have a feeling that he is a very special guy.

Nice video! Peck has the same thoughts I do: all that stuff hanging around has some serious potential! I definitely agree his bottom beak is overgrown. He can't close his beak all the way. Nothing a vet cant fix. I wonder if he doesn't do the typical parrot beak grind? I assume that's what keeps that bottom beak nice and trimmed.

Some questions for you:

- where did you get that hanging rope net? I need one of those for my bird room

- what are the ceiling protectors you are using?

- the fluorescent mop thingy looking ball. Where'd you get that? My caique would kill to have that. Well, my caique would kill for any reason because he's 10 ft tall and bullet proof but that's another story.

Peck looks great, and you are doing an excellent job to get him acclimated!I think your periods of crying, is mourning for Mars. Mars was very important to you. The mourning process takes a very long time. Mars will always be important to you, as well as us.I would love to hear a story about Mars, as well as a story about megan and peck. Nancy

Nice video! Peck has the same thoughts I do: all that stuff hanging around has some serious potential! I definitely agree his bottom beak is overgrown. He can't close his beak all the way. Nothing a vet cant fix. I wonder if he doesn't do the typical parrot beak grind? I assume that's what keeps that bottom beak nice and trimmed.

Some questions for you:

- where did you get that hanging rope net? I need one of those for my bird room

- what are the ceiling protectors you are using?

- the fluorescent mop thingy looking ball. Where'd you get that? My caique would kill to have that. Well, my caique would kill for any reason because he's 10 ft tall and bullet proof but that's another story.

He does do the beak grind. He was sitting very contented on his swing a few minute ago, grinding away, eyes half closed, looking very relaxed. It made me very happy. He is going to the vet Tuesday at 1:45pm to see the same vet that has been doing a WONDERFUL job of reshaping Noah's beak. I hope she can help him. His toenails are also extremely overgrown and when I made the appointment I made sure they understood that the nails and beak needed a vet. Not that I don't trust the techs, but these are in pretty bad shape and I want her to take care of him because I know she knows what she is doing.

I got the rope net from Craigslist, VERY cheap, from a gentleman who had to re-home his cockatoo because his wife became deathly allergic. He said he got it from Windy City Parrot. I steamed it twice before bringing it in the house. Here is the link where he said he bought the net: http://www.windycityparrot.com/Parrot-Climbing-Net--Large-Short_p_2476.html#.Uw8vx84dhS0 $140 is not a bad price. I lusted after one at the store where we got the Greybies and it was not quite as big and she had $190 on it. Finding this one on CL was just sheer luck.

The ceiling protectors are just pieces of plexiglas, with a hole drilled in the center and a washer to hold them against the ceiling. Hubby says they are the right size, I say they are too small. We will see when someone puts a hole in the ceiling. I got the idea from the Macaw room at Project Perry. Matt used these as he did have birds 'remodeling' the ceiling there.

The flourescent mop thingy is a ring, with strips of fleece tied around it. I bought the ring at the pet store (it's a solid stainless steel ring) and tied the fleece around it myself. I cut them in strips about an inch or so wide and tied them onto the ring with help from my niece. It is one of the things we are planning on making and selling as part of our plan to support our rescue. It was really simple, but time-consuming. It's such a no-brainer that you can do it while watching TV, though, so you really don't notice the time spent.

Your caique sounds adorable. They are such fun little birds! My husband wanted one but knew he did not have the time to put in that they require, and at the time I was still in nursing school and had my hands full doing that, taking care of his mother and raising the two Greybies. We just did not think we could handle one. Then a few months later, he brings home Alex, the sun conure. >.< He was a handful at first - VERY bitey, but is now my sweetest baby.

Peck looks great, and you are doing an excellent job to get him acclimated!I think your periods of crying, is mourning for Mars. Mars was very important to you. The mourning process takes a very long time. Mars will always be important to you, as well as us.I would love to hear a story about Mars, as well as a story about megan and peck. Nancy

I have a page on Marden on our website. http://www.avianrefuge.org/mar.html It is not finished. I write a little, cry a lot, so writing it has been agonizing and very slow.

Today Peck was very gently nibbling pine nuts out of my fingers and I had a complete meltdown. He sat calmly and gave me that look, and waiting for me to regain composure and begin feeding him again. I keep hoping each day will be the day I go all day without breaking down, but so far, that's not happening. Time heals all wounds, they say.

Toby is adorable. He's just a baby still in his face and the way he looks up at you with that little wondering eye look that he does. On the other talon, he will ruthlessly attack Greycie and chase her anywhere he can follow when he gets pissed. She made the mistake of making an enemy of him when he just wanted to be friends. Caiques are notorious for making lifelong friends and enemies. Greycie choose badly.

We lost Raven in September and I still tear up when I watch her videos and see some of her photos. I still talk to her as I pass the plant we placed with her when I go in at nights. There's something about these birds that really gets into some of us, moreso than any other 'pet' (I hate calling my birds pets, they are my lil ones). I haven't figured out what it is because they are so unlike us on the 'evolutionary' tree.

Peck had a pretty good day today. He ate quite a bit of breakfast, including some sprouts, apple and a little broccoli along with some thawed chop that neither he nor the rest of the flock were too keen on. He must have eaten well because he took a macaw size poop while sitting on his cage. It was a very healthy looking one, so that made me happy.

He let me get a lot closer today. Yesterday, his family set the cage up so I did not have to clean it. Today, I had to reach in and get the water bowl. That was a small battle. I distracted him with an almond and managed to get the bowl out, washed and refilled before he finished it. He let me add a couple of toys, but remained wary. I took him in to the playroom after the other birds had their turns. He ventured out onto his cage but still refrained from going near anything in the room. He had some fresh apple and broccoli for evening snack. The apple was devoured and he threw the broccoli to the floor of the cage immediately. The ritual of evening pre-sunset smorgasbord for the outside birds seemed to greatly interest him, especially the big male grackles who were being bullies on the hanging platform feeder. He acted like he was going to go to sleep. (See the short video -

) He sat quietly and was contentedly grinding his beak. I am watching him right now through the French doors and he is sitting on his swing with one foot pulled up, eyes closing. I can't hear but I can see him grinding his beak.

He did try to bite me. Right after I shot the video, I thought if he was going to sleep I probably should move him back to the dining room and clean the playroom. He started acting like he wanted out again while I was preparing to move the cage, so I went to reopen the front of the cage, and he went for my finger as I was undoing the latch. I very calmly told him that wasn't nice and what he did next was almost comical. He bowed his head like he was ashamed and let me give him a pet on the top of the head. I guess maybe he was saying he was sorry? He's been fine after that.

So all in all, a good day for Peck. He did get to see me have a little melt down today. I was feeding him some pine nuts and he was taking them every so gently from my fingers and it hit me suddenly like a bolt from the blue. He sat quietly, just calmly staring at me with that look, until I pulled myself together and resumed giving him pine nuts. He's a very good bird.

IMG_0892.JPG

Peck with his apple. He seems to love apples.

IMG_0893.jpg

I put the cage near the door. Right outside the door are several bird feeders, where the wild birds come to feed. I am hoping seeing them flock and fly will help him learn to fly. He seemed VERY interested in the grackles.

Toby is adorable. He's just a baby still in his face and the way he looks up at you with that little wondering eye look that he does. On the other talon, he will ruthlessly attack Greycie and chase her anywhere he can follow when he gets pissed. She made the mistake of making an enemy of him when he just wanted to be friends. Caiques are notorious for making lifelong friends and enemies. Greycie choose badly.

We lost Raven in September and I still tear up when I watch her videos and see some of her photos. I still talk to her as I pass the plant we placed with her when I go in at nights. There's something about these birds that really gets into some of us, moreso than any other 'pet' (I hate calling my birds pets, they are my lil ones). I haven't figured out what it is because they are so unlike us on the 'evolutionary' tree.

I know exactly what you mean. I have never felt such profound grief in my life and I have lost a lot of "pets" that I loved dearly. Marden was just so much more than a pet. Maybe it was the way he came into my life. Maybe it was his inherent charm. But he wound his way around my heart in a way I can barely describe. This picture says it all....

bird-shaped-hole.jpg

Nothing exciting to report today. He strikes at my hand through the bars, but I think it is a cage-defensive thing. Taking food from my hand he is gentle and relaxed. He came out of the cage several times. Instead of the playroom, I had work to do in the kitchen, so he stayed there with me. He is just dying to bite the dogs. I think they sense that. They are giving wide berth. He goes to the floor of his cage and does the "come here" whistle. Good thing they are used to Megan doing that and do not fall for it! He didn't give me any big photo ops today either. Tomorrow is another day!

As I read your posts and enjoy the process of meeting Peck and watching him integrate into your flock, I am so happy for him. The picture of the bird shaped hole in your heart resonates with me. We are approaching the five year anniversary of meeting Juno with his breeder for the first time. I picked up my husband's phone to bring it to him and saw his screensaver has been changed to a photo of me holding Juno just before we brought him home. I thought about having two parrot shaped holes in that heart and thought there would be nothing left of my heart at that point. Time and perspective have shrunken those gaping holes, they are still with me, but as I have worked so long with Miss Gilbert and find new joys with her, the gap between devastation and the greatest thrill of watching her learn to fly emphasizes that the holes have not shrunken, my heart has grown exponentially in these five years.

As I read your posts and enjoy the process of meeting Peck and watching him integrate into your flock, I am so happy for him. The picture of the bird shaped hole in your heart resonates with me. We are approaching the five year anniversary of meeting Juno with his breeder for the first time. I picked up my husband's phone to bring it to him and saw his screensaver has been changed to a photo of me holding Juno just before we brought him home. I thought about having two parrot shaped holes in that heart and thought there would be nothing left of my heart at that point. Time and perspective have shrunken those gaping holes, they are still with me, but as I have worked so long with Miss Gilbert and find new joys with her, the gap between devastation and the greatest thrill of watching her learn to fly emphasizes that the holes have not shrunken, my heart has grown exponentially in these five years.

Such true words. I know the pain today is just as profound as the day he died.

I am finding myself doing things with Peck that remind me of Mar, and the tears come in a flood. I am positive that Peck must think I am mentally ill. But I never turn away from him. I don't want him to associate my sadness with not wanting to be with him, because that is not the case. He's been in the kitchen with me all morning. In his own space, but there. He did get a shower with aloe and water. He did not like it at first, but by the end seemed to be enjoying it and fluffing so I could get him wet. At no time did he try to attack me or the sprayer, though I know he really wants to bite me. It's funny, between the lunges, he will come to where I am and put his beak between the cage bars and slowly open and close his beak like he's expecting me to just put my finger in it. I suspect this is mainly cage aggression. He's fine when he is out walking.

It hurts me that he does not fly. And his long front toe is turned sideways because the nail is so long it goes to the side when he walks. The vet appointment is Tuesday at 1:45pm. I fully expect some bloodshed to occur (mine, and perhaps a member of the vet staff). But then I remind myself that they care for wild birds including raptors and that I have dealt with many other wild creatures and I know we will get through it. I tried a practice run of asking him to get in the travel cage today. That did not go over well.

He at least has warmed up to the household and is exploring. That is a good sign. I will continue to post updates.

Wow. Just.... wow. These birds are SO smart.

So today, I was working with Peck, standing close to the cage so he gets used to me. I changed his water, cleaned the papers, and then, since he was good, I offered him a few pine nuts. He ate them, but after each one, he would lift a foot as if he were trying to hold something up to his beak and make what I can only describe as an eating motion. Dense human that I am, it took me a few pine nuts to realize - he ate the pine nuts, but he wanted AN ALMOND. I asked "Do you want an almond?" and he bobbed his head. He's now happily munching on an almond in the shell. I am sure he is thinking that it took me long enough to catch on.

He got down off the cage and wandered over to the fireplace, which has a marble hearth. I think the reflection amused him. Then he began to look at his distorted reflection in the galvanized "ash bucket" (for looks, it is not a real fireplace) that is sitting next to it. He examined it carefully for a few minutes then walked back and climbed back up on his cage. I will be glad when we can introduce him to Megan, because I think she will help him realize he is a bird. It hurts me to see him climb and walk everywhere.

This is great. You are so in tune with your greys. All we have to do is pay attention and they try so hard to let us know what they want and do as you ask. I too can't wait until both greys can meet each other. But this "alone" time between you and Peck is good for both of you and priceless.