NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Amazons and African Greys

Ray P

If you were to research Amazons you will run across a statement that will say you should have parrot experience before taking on a amazon.

If you were to research African Greys you will also run across a statement that will say you should have parrot experience before taking on a grey.

If you look at amazons there are around 27 or 28 species of amazons each with their own temperament and personalities to choose from.

If you look at African greys you have TAGS and CAGS each with their own temperament and personalities.

Amazons are more a in your face parrots and African greys are more step back and check out what`s going and after grey time has gone by will make a decision as to if you are acceptable or not.

So why the statement, It`s their intelligence that can challenge you to the core and this can be said about all the larger parrots and some of the smaller parrots.

So why greys and amazons for this thread ? Well I have one of each and they are the love of my life.

My amazon Cricket is a rescue or a rehome might be a better word who came to us with issues. Another famous rehome on this forum is Miss Gilbert a TAG that also came with issues.

It`s not a matter of who or what they are, but what happens when you take them in.

Things that might help a new care giver of a rehome parrot IMHO.

1. Observation, Observer your new parrot and try to pick out things that you do that catch their interest.

With Cricket it was a soft voice that she seamed to like and would react in a very positive way.

2. Acknowledge, When ever you go by their cage say something to them. In Crickets case it was Hi in a soft voice. Sit by them, you don`t always have to talk, just be there. when you do talk it`s important that you talk to them and not at them.

(I hope you understand what I am saying)

3. As they start to come around as in Cricket case. she would do her head drop and I would do a gentle touch. It`s called building a relationship. As a relationship grows it will turn into bonding. As the bonding grows you need to start socializing to have a well rounded parrot that's fun to have around.

All this takes time, some times a long time. In the end, well.

Excellant thread!! I agree and understand completely what you are saying. And as an owner of both a cag, tag and amazon, I get it and love all my birds. As much as Nikah OSA handful and tries my patience. I adore her and we do have a bond like no other.

Nice thread Ray. My first parrots were greys and a zon. Oops, I guess I broke the "rules".

I have both types of greys and a BF zon. Each is different and each is different from yours or Talon's or anyone else's. My greys both came to me from their breeders. Ana Grey, tag, is fearless and loving. Sterling Gris, cag, is a big lug of a guy and a fraidy cat. Introduced to family and people differently and each showing their breeder's "upbringing". Louie, zon, is an abused re-home who was ignored and left outside by the wife and children when the husband, care provider, became ill. Louie is very observant, leery and so wants to belong but leery of women. He is my hero.

Each parrot is different and each is loved. Each so wants to belong to the flock.

I get very upset when I hear of stereotyping zons or greys. Stereotyping can be a efficient shortcut and sense-making tool. However, stereotyping can keep people from processing new or unexpected information about each animal/person. No animal/person is the same, each is an individual. Each deserves a chance to grow and learn and be the best person/animal they can. A parrot care provider should be open-minded and patient. Basically be able to go with the flow and be open to whatever comes along.

Love my parrots!

• Haha 1

Thank you Ray. Reading how our forum members relate to the parrots in their lives enriches and encourages and allows us to reach new understanding of each individual, feathered and human. Nothing in life has prepared me for the complexity of a rehomed Timneh. I was just thinking of the difference between rehome, rescue and rehabilitation. No matter what it is called, no matter how long it takes, there is nothing to compare to the blossoming of a soul.

Great post Ray. These guys/gals (parrots) may take a lot of work but they give so much back. I can still remember (before having my own fid) walking across the parking lot of a pet store where a breeder had their cages set up. I had the feeling of being watched so I stopped and looked around. It was a sun conure that for some reason found me to be very interesting. We met eye to eye and I knew that there was a lot going on behind those birdie eyes.