NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bailey's Progress (?) with the Harness

BaileysPapa

Well, it's been about a week with Bailey wearing the Aviator Harness. On the DVD, the guy says that these things are "Parrot Proof", and can stand up to the biggest Parrot beaks. That is either salesman BS, or my Bailey has a "Super Beak". In just 5 days of wearing the harness, about 5 hours total wearing time, he has chewed about halfway through the chest strap. He has also made several chinks in other straps of the harness. Plus, destroyed 4 of my T shirts, turning the collars and shoulders into lace. Not to mention biting my ears repeatedly. Think he doesn't like the harness? He used to let me put it on him loosely. But, now squawks and grumbles whenever he sees it. He does allow me to put it over his head, and then the trouble starts. I don't know what to do! I've had other birds accept a harness. So I'm not entirely new to this. My Cockatiel likes his. And I've had other birds that would wear them. I don't want to endanger our relationship by forcing him into an uncomfortable situation. And my ears cannot take too much more of this. Anybody have any suggestions, or advice?

I have to admit that I've never tried to harness train my guys for various reasons. But what came to the back of my mind while I was reading the post was, take a break before this gets ruined for Bailey. It just doesn't sound like the right time & it would be a shame for this to be anything but fun & positive excitement for him. Good luck!

I agree, take a break. I also have a couple of harness' that my Sun Conure chewed through. Does it say anything about a refund. If it does, they will give you one.

When I have to put the harness on Peanut I have to have help. He hasn't had it on in a couple of years, since we stopped going to schools.