NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

squeeking/squawking

ColeTrickle

My young girl Miley has been doing alot of squawking/squeeking since I've had her for 3 or so weeks. I give her plenty of time outside the cage as I'm home alot. It doesnt sound like she's in pain or anything as she's happy and playfull. We've made couple visits to the vet already and she checks out.

She'll settle down if I leave her in the cage for a while but is always at it when she's on top playing/eating or even with me.

She is quite during the night or if I blanket the cage.

I found this video on youtube that sounds similar to the sound she makes. Its not really loud for the most part unless I'm moving around the house to witch I assume is the contact call.

Is this behaviour normal for the young ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozWYRllF_g

My young girl Miley has been doing alot of squawking/squeeking since I've had her for 3 or so weeks. I give her plenty of time outside the cage as I'm home alot. It doesnt sound like she's in pain or anything as she's happy and playfull. We've made couple visits to the vet already and she checks out.

She'll settle down if I leave her in the cage for a while but is always at it when she's on top playing/eating or even with me.

She is quite during the night or if I blanket the cage.

I found this video on youtube that sounds similar to the sound she makes. Its not really loud for the most part unless I'm moving around the house to witch I assume is the contact call.

Is this behaviour normal for the young ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YozWYRllF_g

Like Dan said, it seems to be a contact call. She wants your attention for something that you're doing which isn't bad. Also, if her cage is as empty as the Youtube video, more interesting things need to be given. I don't know how old she is or how long you've had her but she looks like a very young bird that still wants to have contact with her clutch mates. Some birds do it for food, some for scritches, some for physical touching, zzsome for being taken from one place to another.

Edited by Dave007

How old is your bird? Kiki our amazon did this also as she wanted formula even though she was 20 weeks. She had supplemental feedings syringe fed in between regular diet. This is also dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. They can aspirate quite easily. Kiki wasn't fully weaned until eight months old, but it was worth it. She became the best eater, and was the " tester" of new foods as she would eat anything and everything.

Again... syringe feeding is for the experienced. I was taught and would never recommend anyone doing it unless you know what you are doing.

I also agree, add some chew toys, things that are interesting and anything baby can destroy. Nancy

She's got lotsa toys to play with. I'm not sure the exact age but she IS young and was half weened when I got her. I still give her some powder just to make sure as she doesnt gobble down all her food all the time. She goes crazy for the powder though. I dont even have to feed it to her anymore. She dunks her head in the bowl and eat its on her own.

The reason I ask is because she does it even when she's with me or directly next to me. I thought they only did the contact call when you leave the room or they loose sight of you

Find a great petstore owner that can help you figure out a mash that baby needs. Its GREAT that you are past the syringe feedings. Baby needs additional feedings that are not pellets.Its NOT a contact call for bonding or attention, but a bird that wants oral satisfaction! My belief is ALWAYS satisfy the oral stage, no matter how long it takes. Nancy