NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The perfect Parrot Bowl...

bluedawg

Every Morning and every evening Miss Dayo eats her food then tosses the bowl making a mess across the counter and sometimes onto the floor. Tonight I got smart and looked around for something she could not toss... A small cast Iron pan is Perfect. It even has a little perch on the side... like it was made for parrot meal time! It's the little victories that make my day :)

photo.JPG

Edited by bluedawg

That is a great idea and love the photo! If you're not cooking Dayo's food in the little skillet (and it doesn't look like you are) the amount of trace iron would be miniscule. Just be aware, if you aren't already, that any high acid foods will leach out more of the iron from the pan. Iron isn't a bad thing, it's when too much is being fed (i.e. via iron enriched foods, supplements, etc.) that it can begin to cause problems. If you have any concerns, just give a quick call to your vet. :)

Mmmmmmm, nothing like a skillet meal. Your Dayo will soon learn that heavy items can be dragged to the edge and then dropped to the floor. Hopefully that will be a while down the road though. :)

Greycie can attest this to be true. She pulled a heavy glass dish to the edge and made it walk the plank. I only found the pieces. She had to have dragged it close to the edge and somehow worked it the rest of the way by side-to-side pushing I'm guessing.

• 2 months later...

You guys are so funny :) SterlingSL: I don't mind sharing at all in fact I have posted it here before. But here it is again (This recipe is for two so I always have leftovers for the chickens )

WHOLE FOODS DIET RECIPE FOR TWO GREYS:

1. SOAKED/SPROUTED SEEDS:

- one part organic sesame seeds with hulls

- one part organic wheatberries

- one part black organic sunflowers with hulls

- one part organic quinoa- one part organic safflower with hulls

- one part organic whole oats

- one part spray millet scraped off the stalk

TO PREPARE: EVERY MORNING PLACE SEEDS IN MASON JAR WITH ENOUGH WATER TO COVER DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF SEEDS. ADD 6 DROPS GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT PER CUP WATER TO THE SOAK WATER. LEAVE ON COUNTER FOR 24 HOURS. THE NEXT MORNING, RINSE THE SEEDS THOROUGHLY THROUGH A PLASTIC SPROUT TOP ON THE MASON JAR AND SERVE HALF THE PORTION. LEAVE THE OTHER HALF OF THE SEED PORTION IN THE MASON JAR, RINSED. AT NIGHT, RINSE THE SECOND HALF PORTION THOROUGHLY AND SERVE AS DINNER.

2. VEGETABLES/FRUIT GROUND IN A FOOD PROCESSOR INTO RICE-SIZED PIECES :

A. Choose one: organic broccoli, organic zucchini, organic green beans

B. Choose one: organic collard greens, organic kale, organic bok choy (not the white part, just the green leafy part)

C. Choose one: organic red peppers, organic carrots, organic LIGHTLY COOKED IN WATER orange squash (do not food prep squash, serve chopped by hand)

D. Choose two: organic banana (chop by hand not food prep), organic apple, organic orange (peel and chop by hand not food prep), organic mango (CHOP BY HAND), organic pineapple (CHOP BY HAND)

E. Choose one: three organic hulled almonds, three organic hulled walnuts, or twelve organic roasted, shelled peanut halves

NOTE: all of the above must be fresh not frozen

E. Choose one: organic raspberries, organic blueberries, organic strawberries (fresh is best, frozen is OK)

NOTE: use each one of the above foods listed in any given month so establish a rotation for shopping such that all the foods are used within a month period

F. FROZEN ORGANIC CORN AND FROZEN ORGANIC PEAS (use both each day)

NOTE: ALL THESE VEGETABLES AND FRUITS (other than the nuts) SHOULD BE USED IN ROUGHLY EQUAL PORTIONS (JUST EYEBALL IT)

3. CHOP ALL THE VEGETABLES/FRUIT PLUS NUTS IN THE FOOD PREP (OTHER THAN THE ONES THAT SHOULD BE CUT BY HAND). USE ONE HALF CUP SPROUTED SEED MIX TO ONE HALF CUP VEGETABLE/FRUIT/NUT MIX.

4. TO EVERY MEAL ADD:

- 1/3 teaspoon of GREEN POWDER (to the one cup of food)

- 1/16 teaspoon of PRIMAL DEFENSE PROBIOTICS (to the one cup of food)

5. TWICE PER WEEK ADD:

A. 1/2 teaspoon of ORGANIC FLAX OIL to morning meal (IE PICK TUESDAYS AND FRIDAYS AND FOR BREAKFAST ONLY THEY GET FLAX OIL)

NOTE: STORE FLAX OIL IN THE REFRIGERATOR AT ALL TIMES IT IS HIGHLY PERISHABLE

B. 1/4 TEASPOON ZOO MED AVIAN PLUS VITAMIN/MINERAL POWDER

6. ONCE PER WEEK GIVE ONE TEASPOON PER GREY OF COOKED, FRESH or FROZEN, PLAIN WILD ALASKAN SALMON

7.. BEFORE BED GIVE ONE TABLESPOON OF SPRAY MILLET PER GREY SCRAPED OFF STALK

NOTE: MEALS SHOULD BE PREPARED FRESH TWICE DAILY, AM AND PM. THE VEGETABLE PORTION CAN BE MADE FRESH EACH AM AND HALF CAN BE STORED IN A SEALED CONTAINER IN THE REFRIGERATOR UNTIL THE PM MEAL.

GREEN POWDER RECIPE:

• 1/3 cup Mt Rose Herbs kelp powder

• 1/3 cup organic Mt Rose Herbs alfalfa powder

• 5 Tablespoons Hatched brand eggshell powder

1 Tablespoon Frontier organic garlic powder

MIX ALL INGREDIENTS AND STORE IN A SEALED MASON JAR IN THE DARK FOR UP TO ONE YEAR (LABEL WITH EXPIRATION DATE).

I did notice a funny smell from the cast Iron since the food is moist so I got worried about the particulates and such mentioned above and updated our design... still works :) Now if she tosses the inner bowl it just tips on it's side withing the cast Iron so much easier to clean up...

Dinner.jpg