NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Anyone with Pluckers

carolz7

As some of you may know i recently adopted a 19 year old CAG. She is not necessary plucking well i am not sure how to describe it. She has a lot of fuzz but not really feathers. I have been soaking her a few times a week and wanted to know what others are doing to get there birds not to destroy there feathers. She was also on a terrible diet which is now in the process of being changed. Any other advise would be great. Her personality and really come alive. Her history was a one person bird and her mommy of 18 years had passed away. She was kinda sad when she arrived here but now that bird has turned around and is so very happy. It sure is rewarding when you realize you have made a difference in such a small little life.

2014-03-07 13.15.25.jpg

My bird started chewing tips of its wing feathers some time ago for no obvious reasons; has got a very spacious cage, lots of toys, other animal friends, is out of the cage for at least 5 hours a day ...

So one day, I introduced a cat's feather teaser as a new toy, and chewing is reduced to minimum, instead my bird chews on his toy now :)

Oh my goodness really Grumpy??? What a great idea. She has lots of toys and a huge cage but I am sure there is something going on with loosing your human after that many years. I am no expert. I am going to get the teaser toy since we have a Devonshire Rex with more toys than she can handle and see if this helps. I tried to get a better picture of her messy feathers.

2014-03-21 14.40.19.jpg

It could be just stress from losing her 18 year guardian, and may be temporary, now that she's happy. Other than baths, give her some direct sunshine, a few minutes most days. Also redirecting her feather chewing will help. Shredding & preening toys will give her something else to concentrate on. If she hasn't been doing it very long, it is fixable.

Oh my goodness really Grumpy??? What a great idea. She has lots of toys and a huge cage but I am sure there is something going on with loosing your human after that many years. I am no expert. I am going to get the teaser toy since we have a Devonshire Rex with more toys than she can handle and see if this helps. I tried to get a better picture of her messy feathers.

Yes, it really helped :)

At least you can try, there's nothing to lose.

When we brought Miss Gilbert home she had plucked some feathers out of extreme duress. She was known as "having issues" and any little stress would make her chew and barber her chest down to the fluff. Our vet recommended the pet version of Rescue Remedy from the Bach flowers homeopathic series. I was skeptical but willing to try anything. I put three drops on her warm wet food every day and in about six weeks started seeing some improvement. We continued the drops for just under a year and along with time and consistency she has not had any more plucking and very few bouts of barbering. She had been through a few rehomes and she was seemingly pining for her beloved "Jim". She still calls out to him occasionally but in time she continues to improve and is looking much better.

As some of you may know i recently adopted a 19 year old CAG. She is not necessary plucking well i am not sure how to describe it. She has a lot of fuzz but not really feathers. I have been soaking her a few times a week and wanted to know what others are doing to get there birds not to destroy there feathers. She was also on a terrible diet which is now in the process of being changed. Any other advise would be great. Her personality and really come alive. Her history was a one person bird and her mommy of 18 years had passed away. She was kinda sad when she arrived here but now that bird has turned around and is so very happy. It sure is rewarding when you realize you have made a difference in such a small little life.

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Don't dry the bird with anything. Leave soaked--no hair dryers, no towels, no drafty areas

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle

1 rounded teaspoon powder to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer. Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, use it on any other birds sitting around. Discard what remains at the end of the day.

Make sure the skin is thoroughly soaked

Edited by Dave007

LOL, and follow the directions on it because i sure made a mess of it! (Feather In)

I have three pluckers and the most helpful thing has been a mop toy with beads on it, they groom that instead of theirself. Also a swing toy full of felt material, well that is now nothing but a metal ring but it took her almost a full week to get it to that point! Keeping them occupied and bathed helps, but i have read just yesterday that there could be some type of food allergy so we are looking into that too.

With our mutilator and plucker I find that lots of spray misting with Aloe Vera Juice alternating with plain water off and on. Unfiltered Sunshine at least 1 hour a week and lots of fresh foods along with adding the hemp seed has made a big difference. Has not stopped our mutilator completely he has to keep his jacket and collar on for safety. It is helpful if they can get lots of exercise as well, stretch those wings and be active.

Edited by Greywings

i do not know if perry is starting to pluck,he is molting for the first time in his life(15 mos old) and I see a few new feathers coming in on tail/wing and body, he has no bald spots, but his chest/keel area when I showered him yesterday looked very thin in a line down his keel bone, He is well treated and behaved and does tricks and said his first work clear as hell "Hello" 3 days ago. I see know tempermental or physical reason for him to pluck and hope I am over paranoid with this thinning, does anyone know if a heavy molt causes this thinning?

YIKES! I don't know! I got Sophie at age two. Ask Dave and Judy. I am sure they can help you. I am so lucky my guys never put me in the questioning stage.Sophie is 14 now. TONS of down the other day. My son and I just looked at each other and knew, Sophie needed a shower.It was going to be a pain, as she hates to shower, but will do it, because she trusts us, and knows I feel her pain! Nancy