NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Some questiosn please....

Pet_lover

Hi,

I introduced my pets in this thread http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?201265-Pet_lover-from-Pakistan . I need to ask a few questions, I am a newbie so please bear with me :) Thanks.

IMG_20140316_151702_zps2b16f1c7.jpg

Papoo, got a new cage today. It is quite spacious for him now. Three perches, enough space and feed trays. The perches are round and made of plastic. He did not have any thicker than this. But I am sure it will work good. I opened his old cage door and placed this one in front of him, Papoo just walked in to it. Intelligent bird!

IMG_20140316_151717_zps47ba5d49.jpg

Got one for Too Too as well.

IMG_20140316_174025_zps992ba0fe.jpg

I don't know why he likes to tear up newspaper. Any ideas?

IMG_20140316_175133_zpsad8f639e.jpg

Too Too sitting on the top most perch.

IMG_20140316_175144_zps4c7e3d18.jpg

One big question. The cage has a grilled floor and a sliding metal tray above it. I placed an old news paper on it. But as Greys do a lot of poop so it was soiled very soon. I have now moved the tray below the grilled floor. It requires some fixing though. Would you recommend having a grilled floor as shown in this pic or the tray itself. But the tray gets soiled very soon and I have seen Papoo walking on his poop. With the grilled floor the poop normally falls to the tray. Please tell me if the grilled floor causes no harm to his feet I would prefer it this way. Many thanks.

Hi,

I introduced my pets in this thread http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?201265-Pet_lover-from-Pakistan . I need to ask a few questions, I am a newbie so please bear with me :) Thanks.

IMG_20140316_151702_zps2b16f1c7.jpg

Papoo, got a new cage today. It is quite spacious for him now. Three perches, enough space and feed trays. The perches are round and made of plastic. He did not have any thicker than this. But I am sure it will work good. I opened his old cage door and placed this one in front of him, Papoo just walked in to it. Intelligent bird!

IMG_20140316_151717_zps47ba5d49.jpg

Got one for Too Too as well.

IMG_20140316_174025_zps992ba0fe.jpg

I don't know why he likes to tear up newspaper. Any ideas?

IMG_20140316_175133_zpsad8f639e.jpg

Too Too sitting on the top most perch.

IMG_20140316_175144_zps4c7e3d18.jpg

One big question. The cage has a grilled floor and a sliding metal tray above it. I placed an old news paper on it. But as Greys do a lot of poop so it was soiled very soon. I have now moved the tray below the grilled floor. It requires some fixing though. Would you recommend having a grilled floor as shown in this pic or the tray itself. But the tray gets soiled very soon and I have seen Papoo walking on his poop. With the grilled floor the poop normally falls to the tray. Please tell me if the grilled floor causes no harm to his feet I would prefer it this way. Many thanks.

Hi

First off, the cage for the grey is in the wrong shape . A grey needs a wide cage , not a narrow high cage and that cage is very narrow.Greys generally move from left to right, not up and down. They go up to get toys and play with them. Look at the grey's body. Flapping the wings can cause them to get in between the wall bars and break.. Sorry to say this but you may wanna look into a proper sized cage. It's up to you. As far as the grill, it's extremely unusual that the grill is under the tray. If it's under the tray, the grill is useless so you wanting to switch the bottom is correct. Here in the US, no cage is made with the grill under the tray. The grill is to make sure that the bird doesn't walk in it's own mess especially feces and rotted food. He likes to tear up newspaper simply because he can get to it. Many parrots rip up paper in the tray. There's no particular reason to do this unless the bird is an adult. When they're adults, they're doing it to make nests.

Sadly, the cage for IRN is also too small. It's also to narrow. When they spread their long wings, they also can get caught in the side bars and snap the wings.

A grey's cage should generally look like this. They need a big cage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/d4bfc98d-9494-4418-971e-90110017571e.jpg