NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello Everyone! New Parrot Keeper here with a few questions

Hello everyone, I would like to thank everyone for allowing me to join as I'm sure our time together will be very beneficial.

I'll introduce myself.

I am a 25 year old blind computer scientist by day, and massage therapist in the evening. My wife, who is 23, is a Special Needs teacher here in town. We love our careers and alll of our animals. We have 4 dogs, 3 cats and 16 birds such as: pheasants, peacocks, guineas, and chickens. Now we are ready to graduate to PARROTS! Family Pictures below:

me.jpg

ladyamherst.jpg

morgan.jpg

FARM.jpg

peacock.jpg

For my FIRST question. Is it okay to buy a baby African Grey online from a trusted breeder? What I mean is, is there a chance it would not bond with you, or just wouldn't have anything to do with the owner?

I look forward to meeting all of you and learning from your past trials and mistakes and hearing wonderful stories. Signing off for now!

John & Morgan

Hello John & Morgan and welcome to our family.

You do have quite the outside flock but now you want to expand to the inside with a grey, its good you are doing some research before you actually bring one into your home. It is entirely correct to find a trusted breeder of greys and do not buy one unweaned for that opens up a whole set of problems you do not need. You can google for breeders in your area and here is two sites to look for those in your state: www.avianbiotech.com and www.birdbreeders.com Your bird would eventually bond with you though you might not be the favorite as greys do tend to pick a favorite but it is unlikely that he/she wouldn't want anything to do with you. Most of us have a spouse or partner that may or may not interact much with our birds but they usually get along with both, the relationship is usually different with each one but rewarding. My grey for example is bonded to me and didn't have much to do with my husband but now she interacts more with him and has a slightly different relationship with him than she does with me, if you socialize them properly there should not be much of a problem at all.

You only need to go thru a lot of the threads here to find lots of stories of how problems cropped up and how they were solved, it helps to have someone who has gone thru the same thing to know how they dealt with it and that you are not alone, no one can predict what kind of difficulties you might have happen but do not hesitate to ask even if it seems silly for we all have been there and done that, nothing like firsthand experience to put the mind at ease.

Welcome. Boy, you don't let the grass grow under your feet, do you?? LOL

I think you will be much happier if you can find a good breeder within driving distance from you. That way you can visit the baby as it is weaned and get to know it and it you before it comes home.

Get a cage as large as possible. The bird should be able to stretch its wings inside the cage. Toys and foraging items enough to play with, but not so many as to block the birds movement.

Have you done research into other parrots? If so, why did you decide on a Grey? Are you going for a TAG or CAG? Or maybe it doesn't matter to you.

Enjoy your time researching!

Hi twas brilling and welcome to the grey forum.

I also have a pair of peacocks an African Grey Congo a Blue fronted amazon, cockatiel ducks and chickens two dachshund and two cats.

the only difference is you live in the south and I live in north east Ohio and its been cold as hell.

Great pictures of your flock

Hello everyone, thank you for the welcome's. We decided on the Congo African Grey's because my wife grew up with 3 of them. They had 10 parrots total and the CAG was her favorite of them all. They're personality seems to be the most fitting for our small family. When I look at future birds/pets, I like to research their purpose and evolutionary traits/abilities in the wild.

I've read that they need daily interaction and stimulation, since I cannot see, how is this achieved. Would it be okay leaving him/her on your shoulder and talk to it while working on the computer? I'm not sure what people mean by interact. I guess I'm not sure what "interact" with a bird means.

I also want to note that I've tried to purchase CAG's online from birdbreeders.com and was ripped off by 3 different people. They either are from Cameroon, Africa, or from somewhere in the US, but from a fake address/phone number and ONLY want to text, or they call from a restricted number. Is there a website where I can find a LEGITIMATE breeder?

I know there are members here who have had their birds shipped to them and have received wonderfully sociallized confidant fids, but darn if I can think of which members they are. As for what is meant by interaction, that can be both physical and verbal. Physical interation may be a bit of a challenge because we're big around these parts on reading your birds' body language. About the only physical cue you can hear is when they're happily grinding their beaks. Having another family member who can read these cues will help you physically bond with your fid. I would make shoulder off limits until you're darn sure of your birds natural disposition. I know my bird, Dorian, loves me, but I will never have him on my shoulder because he is so easily startled. A high-strung bird can inflict some extra body piercing on you even if there was no aggresion intended. Of course, verbal interation is a big deal with these birds. Talk to them, read to them, tell them what you're doing, respond to their contact calls. You'll be amazed at how much communication you can have with one of these guys. You're doing the right thing by doing your research ahead of time. Welcome to the forum.

I don't allow Timber on my shoulder either for much the same reason. As to your questions about interaction, I have a mobile playstand so that Timber can spend time in the same room with me. He does sit on my arm at times. However, mostly they just want to be in the same area of the house that you are, where they can "see" you. Interaction also refers to talking to them and whistling back and forth. When I am with Timber I am often talking to him (even if he doesn't respond). If I am silent for too long, he will speak or whistle to get my attention. When I am doing things around his cage, like cleaning, changing bowls, whatever, I tell him what I am doing.

Welcome Twas Brilling and flock! You've got quite a menagerie going and sounds like you and your spouse enjoy them all. Smile. Interaction with a Grey can take many forms. One of the major ones is talking and whistling back and forth with each other. Given your limited vision, some of the things you will want to consider is that if allowed free roam, your Grey will become very adept at not only flying around the house, but walking also. Greys are natural ground foragers, and enjoy time walking around. This is a challenge for us all, as they can be easily stepped on. At our home, we give a shout, "Bird on the floor!" so that we know that our Inara is roaming around.

Being able to read their body language, as well as their being able to read yours can also be a bit tricky even for people without any vision challenges, so you may find it a bit more of a challenge -- but you're no doubt already good at adapting to new situations and input requirements. That being said, Greys are very empathic and yours will no doubt soon become aware that your vision is limited. This could wind up with your Grey being more patient with you, or it could bring up an issue of it wanting to know that it can feel safe and confident when moving onto your hand, and hanging out with you physically, etc. Certainly, these are things that you, your spouse, and your future Grey will work with and/or around.

Definitely search in your own area for breeders if you are wanting a baby grey. Also don't overlook a slightly older grey who may need a good home. Many people get cuddly babies and then put them up for sale or rehoming at around age two when the human discovers they are more of a handful than bargained for. You may find a young bird that with whom you will have just as strong a bond and as wonderful a relationship. Rearing one from just after weaning and being able to visit it often prior to taking it home (as in finding one at reputable breeder nearby) may work out well for you as it and you will learn how to navigate one another from the get go. Smile.

You've landed in a great place here, and as you've already discovered there is a wealth of information right at your fingertips. Am looking forward to hearing all about your adventure and your new companion.