NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to Forum

Hi,

Just got a new baby male Grey and I can bring him home in 6 weeks. I have previous experience with a Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo.

I have always wanted a Grey but my main concern is the possibility of being mean or biting. He is being very socialized now and fed / handled by several different people at the aviary from which I purchased him. This makes the difference, right?

Thanks,

Darla

Hello Darla and welcome to our family.

Congrats on your new soon to be addition of a baby grey and yes socialization is very important in dealing with greys. All greys or birds for that matter will bite on occasion but that doesn't make them mean, they use their beaks sometimes to get across a message that they don't like whatever you are doing at that moment but if you learn to read their body language you can avoid most of them, some hardly ever bite, it is more of an individual thing. Greys do not become mean unless they are abused but even then if someone else takes them and gives them the love and attention they need bites can become few and far between.

When you get your baby home you may notice he/she may nibble on or put some pressure on your hand when handling but at that age they are checking you out and making sure it is a secure place to step up on so don't worry about those but if the pressure gets harder then you might have to say "Not so hard" to let him/her know that is not acceptable but you will learn.

Please do read thru as many of the threads here as possible for you will find lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Thanks. Yes I have been visiting him at the shop. He does use his beak a lot but I figured he's just feeling things out. Is it ok to let him nibble gently or should I discourage that? I'll try to put a pic but it won't allow me to directly upload.

Welcome to the forum. I understand your apprehension as a first time Grey parront. What I believe is that the most important factor in the development of your new bird is how you forge the relationship. I don't know about Cockatoos, but in my experience with my grey--going slow, giving your bird choices, never pushing or forcing, providing a safe environment and patience really make the difference. There is a lot of discussion about grumpy aggressive greys, but that is not the norm I see here in this forum. All birds test us and do bite on occasion, but I believe that if a bond of mutual respect is established early on--none of those things need to get out of control. As long as a grey has plenty of personal attention, abundant toys and intellectual stimulation, and opportunities for new experience with different people, places, and things--they thrive. I don't think you need to discourage a gentle nibble--but if it gets too hard or painful--let him know. Communicate with him, and he will understand. They don't miss anything. Think of your bird as a new roommate and best friend who you can reason with. They get it. Enjoy the experience. You will make mistakes--we all do. But greys are very forgiving when they know they are loved, respected and safe. Also, don't hesitate to post a question and ask advice as you begin life with your grey. I owe so much to this forum, and both me and my CAG Gracie have benefitted from the support we got here. I got my grey with almost no parrot experience (I had a budgie as a child). I was almost dissuaded from getting a grey by information online saying greys were difficult and not advised for people new to parrots. I am so glad that I didn't heed that advice because life with Gracie has been so amazing and life enhancing. It's better than I ever imagined and always evolving. Keep us all posted on your journey and know we are all here for you both.

Edited by JeffNOK

Hi,

Just got a new baby male Grey and I can bring him home in 6 weeks. I have previous experience with a Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo.

I have always wanted a Grey but my main concern is the possibility of being mean or biting. He is being very socialized now and fed / handled by several different people at the aviary from which I purchased him. This makes the difference, right?

Thanks,

Darla

All parrots bite a little including cockatoos. Cockatoos are sneaky biters. Amazons are sneaky biters. No warnings.

The most important thing about a grey is that they're one of those parrots that do give out signs of body language that will let a person know how it feels and what his/her intentions/feeling are before it reacts. Read this and always keep it in an area where it can be easily gotten to. A grey's beak is actually it's arm which is the tester of all objects including a person's body parts.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?109373-Body-language-most-frequently-seen

I went to visit Sterling today and I guess he's getting more comfortable with me. He bit me pretty firmly a few times - not enough to cause any pain but today was a first for that. I just told him no and removed him from my fingers - repeatedly. He wasn't really a good listener. I think he thought " challenge accepted". I was calm and consistent though. I bought a little toy to bring for next time so my fingers aren't a toy. This is normal, right? Soooo different from a Cockatoo already. :)

Two Too's & four greys here, they are each one unique but the Too's are very different then the Grey's it seems one of our Greys is a very sneaky biter the kind that lures you in for quick "ouch" session. Another Grey spares my middle son but the rest of us are fair game, another one never bites me but others are subject to pinching (not a real biter) last grey the Timneh would rather bite other birds, dogs and cats but fly away from people he wishes to avoid. The Timneh has my youngest son as his chosen one. The Too's Elanora not really an aggressive guy but the Umbie Too is willing to play with humans or bite them as required (only he knows the requirements) but will go after all other birds in the house.

Welcome, Darla, and congratulations on your new companion. Sterling is gorgeous, and you will have a lifetime of fun and adventure ahead of you. The best piece of advice I have to offer is to just simply, and seriously relax. Relax physically and mentally before you handle any bird, especially your new little guy.

When we have an apprehensive attitude (like expecting to get bitten), our birds read that. To them, it triggers a natural instinct to become on alert and to get ready to flee. This puts them on hyper-alert and a nervous/fear based bite can easily occur. They also often will bluff with a squawk and a beak movement as a warning. This can cause people to jerk away and become even more apprehensive and a feedback loop ensues. The bird finds the human nervous and unreliable, so is less relaxed and trustful and the human finds the bird unpredictable and so stays more apprehensive. A pattern then becomes established.

Birds bite from fear or because we in our own arrogance and/or ignorance have affronted them by not correctly reading their signals. My husband and I were just talking about this very subject last night. When Inara (TAG aged 2.5) first came to live with us six months ago, she was very nippy with my husband. After teaching him how to read her better, and how to move his own body in ways that would not reinforce her nipping -- the behavior was extinguished and he has not been nipped in so long now that neither of us can recall the last time. What brought it up last night, was that usually Inara asks to step up onto Joe's hand when he comes home from work. She gives him a happy whistle and fluff, then comes back to me. Last night, he arrived home later than usual and she was tired. She did not ask to go "up" to Joe, but Joe held his hand out to have her step up, and when she did not immediately do so, Joe withdrew his hand, and said, "I can tell she's not in the mood." So he did not push the issue, but rather, offered one more time, and with her body language, she declined. Joe said, "I really am able to read her much better now. I can tell she's just not up for socializing." He was absolutely correct.

Watch, listen, and *sense* your bird. If your bird is getting beaky, there is always a reason behind it. Sometimes it is because they are wound up from playing, and need a moment to settle before being reached for. Sometimes it is because we've inadvertently moved too quickly toward them when their attention was somewhere else for a second. Sometimes it is because they are simply not in the mood to be touched, or we're reaching for a body area that is to them "hands off". If Sterling is testing beak pressure on your finger, interrupt it before it gets to the uncomfortable pressure stage. Simply say something firmly like, " ah ah, too hard" then roll your finger downward out of his beak (not pulling up and way) then say something like, "Be gentle," with a smile in your voice, and touch his beak gently. Then say, "very nice" with a smile in your voice. Eventually, you will just have to make the "ah ah" sound or say -- "be gentle" and your bird will ease up. They do not play power games, they are not into dominance -- it's simply that they need to be taught (just like with their natural parents) what is acceptable and what is not.

Yes, it is OK to let him preen your fingers, gently, or to allow him to test if they are a firm place for him to step upon. As Dave007 said, their beaks are like our hands. Avoid letting him use your fingers to chew on -- give him a toy instead, as you are doing and avoid playing tug-of-war games with him. Always give him a moment to calm himself after playing, watch for signs that he is tired and wants to be put down. Respect his boundaries. Ensure that your hands always mean something good is about to happen. You're going to have a long, wonderful relationship with Sterling, and you are fortunate that he comes to you with a clean slate and no baggage. What you do now, will shape your relationship, so stay calm and relaxed, and expect the best from him right from the beginning rather than the worst. :)

Edited by Inara
  • Haha 1

I've been to visit Sterling 3 x since the last post. He's been a beaky little boy but nothing too bad. I give him foot toys instead. Today he had some fun with the skin on my forearm. Yikes that would hurt if he were older. When he calmed down a bit he just sat very sweetly. I may or may not have snuck him in a pumpkin seed or two.

• Haha 1

Find something to do that final week when you are getting ready to bring Sterling home, it seems to last the longest. It is going to be wonderful to live with this adorable little fellow in just a few short weeks. I am so glad you have gotten to see him so many times, it surely will make him comfortable in your home from the first day. You are doing such a remarkable service to yourself and to him to wait for his weaning and still get to know him well by visiting. They imprint in your heart with this black-eyed, curious, charming baby stage and that helps a lot when you walk in to discover mischief a couple of years later. LOL. Sometimes when Miss Gilbert is a pip, I look at baby pictures of other Timneh's and try to think of her as that curious, delightful baby grey she once was and settle all the grumpiness right out of myself. You have such a head start on me, I am happy for you.

I've been visiting Sterling regularly. He might come home this weekend. I've noticed that he's very vocal. All kinds of little noises come out of him and often. He already expresses himself and I can tell when he doesn't like something. He has a consistent sound for that I've noticed, lol. Are the babies usually that "chatty"?