NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

reason to spay and neuter

BMustee

The post about getting rid of a grey due to a cuddling situation...or really lack of...really got me hot. I can't tell you all just how angry I get with people that are irresponsible pet owners...and not just with birds, but with all animals. The fact that there are animals that are the sweetest and most loving things you have ever seen are being put down in our shelters every hour, minute, second, breaks my heart and knowing there is nothing I can do to save them hurts even worse. I wanted to post this video on here to do my part to help. I want to warn you all though, it is disturbing. I'm the type of person that can watch anything, but this short slide show made me sob. I think watching this and seeing the facts about the kill rate in the US would make anyone change their minds about not fixing their animals. I don't want anyone to be offended that I posted this, so I want to make it clear that it is a very unsettling thing to watch yet educational to what is going on at all our local shelters due to pet overpopulation.

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

I've seen this before and it is sad....but this is exactly why I will tell anyone to go and get a rehomed bird, of not a rescue!! None of my birds are babies, and while it's fun to be able to go and "pick your new baby out" I think it's sad that there is another one out there looking for a home that is being abused, neglected, poorly fed etc. I just think that it's easier and more convenient for some to just go straight to a breeder rather than "hunting" for a bird...On the other hand I also know that sometimes people live in rural areas, or it's harder to find rescues in the area, but I know that isn't the case for all....IMO there is nothing more gratifying than watching a bird that is petrified of everything come out of it's shell because it's trusting you, not because it has no choice, but because it wants to :) so I completely understand where you're coming from BMustee!

I myself did get a baby grey but this was after months of looking in the "for sale" listings and calling the local rescues. When/if I get another bird it will more than likely be a rescue.

I have a part time job at a local pet store and no matter what kind of discount I could get on a dog or cat I will NEVER buy one...I'll only go to my county shelter. The way I see it is there are the greatest dogs of all ages and breeds there and you get them for under $100 and you saved a life. When you go to a pet store you can pay $500, $1000, or even $2000 for a dog! One store in town has a bulldog pup for $2000...I can't see paying that much and then your supporting puppy farms to top it off.

I'm totally with you guys on this one, If people are not 100% committed to a lifetime of care/ vet bills etc..Then pets of any kind are not for them.It is a very sad state that we see so many rescue organisations across the globe caring for neglected & unwanted animals.Issues concerning neglect etc.. make my blood boil :angry:

loviechick i do agree on the rewards of a rescue bird,i did buy my two boys as babies but not long after i got involved with re-homing/resuce work & now have coco. i am also on the waiting list for a 4th bird when the need arises.

Thats exactly why we started rescuing Dobermans.

I personally do not agree with the "Nueter or Spay ALL" that go to the pound. I also HATE breeders that require spaying or nuetering if you purchase a Dog or Cat from them.

Bottomline is leave it up to the owners, not the SPCA .....

I believe, once SPCA is called out due to a persons negligence or mistreatment of an animal or bird or cat, they should be listed as a "No adoption" person with the spca and if they go buy an animal from someone, there should be a registry of known pet abusers you could check before selling or adopting out your animal or bird to anyone.

I looked for a Grey at rescues for 6 months before I bought dayo. They just are not that common in them. I did find a TON of Amazons though, but that was not what I was looking for.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/10/30 20:57

I'm with all of you on this one as well. I rescued a B&G Macaw when I was younger. I had to wait on the list for two years before getting a call. The bird adoption agency we got him from charged only $100 to help support the agency, and the bird came with a cage. After having to go to college, I was going to look for a place that would take my birds, but it didn't work out that way. (I also had a miniature yellow collar macaw.) The birds weren't getting the love they deserved at home, so we went on a search to find a more suitable living situation. My parents found them a home (without telling me,) and my mom couldn't tell me about it for about a week or two, when my dad spilled the beans. I can't remember being more upset, and to this day I still miss my babies.

I had to find my babies a new home, and it was very difficult for me. There are so many stories like this, and for people just to say that they don't like their pets for the way that they are is heartbreaking. I love all my pets for who they are, and finding a new home and loosing them was so difficult for me. This is not something I could imagine ever going through again. Although I now have an education, I miss my birdies...

BMustee, I think you were spot on in your response, just saying what we were all thinking.

I want to start by saying I agree with spaying not just for over population reasons but for health reasons as well.

I only have one of my males fixed. Because he was aggressive and an outside dog. However my other two males are not fixed. I was showing and breeding them and you can't show a fixed dog. So neither of my chi males are fixed. Now that I don't show I did fix the female.

While I think fixing a dog is a good idea if you can't or don't want to fix them just be responsible. Make sure you fence is escape proof and no one can get in.

My sister has a tiny female chi that she never had fixed (she is afraid to cause the dog only weight 2 pounds) and it is five years old and never had puppies (never will either to risky). She is carefull.

The way I feel about dogs is that if you have a show quality dog then you have a dog that is...I guess you could say...qualified to breed. Like Tari said you can't show fixed dogs ether. If someone has a mutt then it should be fixed. The puppies resulting from the breeding wouldn't be furthering any breed and adding to the over population. There is the personal preference of not fixing and as long as you take all the precautions then it's your right. I personally will fix any dog or cat I own because it takes the risks of certain cancers out of the equation and I don't plan on ever showing them. Plus a female in heat ruins your furniture and I don't like getting humped by the males.

My personal opinion of spaying or neutering being for health reasons to alleviate cancer risks, is not a valid or proven medical reason at all. It is just an SPCA person trying to sway people over to their belief and in fact "Rule" so the poor owners feel a "little" better about their new companion having to go through the procedure.

How would you like it, if doctors and hospitals started trying legislate the removal of all testicles, breasts and Uterus's from all babies and people before being released from the hospital based on the same reasoning the SPCA promulgates and evangelizes?

It's just my opinion here, but hey, that's what I think on this subject. :-)

It's no more or less valid than anyone elses opinion on this topic.