NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Will playing African grey videos to my CAG help me to train him?

Burak

I've a question about playing videos from notebook in front of his cage (door open) if it would help me to train him?

My first goal is to make him eat fresh veggies and fruits so if I play videos of other African Grey's eating fresh veggies and fruits, would it be helpful? I know some tips that I should eat in front of him, etc. but it doesn't work for us now (I think we still have trust problems so he doesn't see me and my wife as flock members)

I played him last night a little and he seemed interested but I'm not sure if it would be good or bad for his psychology so I wanted to ask you guys first.

What do you think? What will be his perception of other african greys on the screen?

Some people's birds here love watching other grey videos, some don't. My Dorian is in the 'don't play that' club. He gets very upset if he sees or hears another grey. I'm sure they perceive the birds on screen, much like a human toddler does, but not sure if it would be helpful in training. The best thing to do with a new or new-ish fid is to work on the trust relationship. When that is firmly established much can happen. I'm curious what members who have birds who don't sulk when they see or hear a grey on video will think.

Some birds really enjoy watching and listening to others on the screen. My thoughts are that as long as he seems interested that it wouldn't hurt. You could try playing it at the time you usually are eating fresh fruits and veggies and have him near with some of his own. It may or may not work, but stranger things have happened :)

Just keep offering the fruits and veggies, and eventually he will try them. Inara loves hers if they are freshly rinsed with water and still have droplets of water clinging to them. She has been with us now for 5 months and when she first came to live with us wouldn't touch a bite of fresh anything. Now she says, "Oh boy!" and excitedly scoots down my arm to get to them in my hand as I''m washing them. So just keep trying, and one day he will surprise you.

Keep us posted on how the video goes, I'm sincerely interested.

Sophie likes watching other greys on video as well! Not sure if she is happy to watch a grey video, or just because she enjoys " movie night" with us. She will watch anything! I agree it couldn't hurt.

As far as eating fresh fruits and veggies, Sophie learned to eat them since we had three birds of different species. Our Amazon was always the designated tester. Once she approved... they all enjoyed. We also let our birds eat with us when they are interested to try new things. Just a suggestion.... move the cages away from the walls... raspberries and blueberries takes the paint off the walls. Greys will fling their " dislikes". Remember, veggies are the most important. Nancy

Some greys do and some don't, Josey will listen to some videos I play with greys in them and other birds too but if you want help in getting your grey to eat vegetables and such just let him see you eat some of it, sometimes all it takes is them seeing you enjoy some food and they want it because you have it.

I've a question about playing videos from notebook in front of his cage (door open) if it would help me to train him?

My first goal is to make him eat fresh veggies and fruits so if I play videos of other African Grey's eating fresh veggies and fruits, would it be helpful? I know some tips that I should eat in front of him, etc. but it doesn't work for us now (I think we still have trust problems so he doesn't see me and my wife as flock members)

I played him last night a little and he seemed interested but I'm not sure if it would be good or bad for his psychology so I wanted to ask you guys first.

What do you think? What will be his perception of other african greys on the screen?

About the only thing that will happen concerning TV is that your grey will pick up on different sounds of greys in any of those videos. A grey may become quiet as he's listening and then may make some *natural sounds of greys in the wild* Videos won't help him learn about new foods or diets. Greys and other parrots aren't able to see things on the TV or videos. Their eyes don't have the ability to see actual images on TVs or video players. They may stare at the TV but it's only the sounds that are causing it to stare in the direction of where the sounds are coming from.

Interesting! So Sophie is " loving " the movie, because she is hanging with us. I always suspected that, but kids always ask her if she " liked it", and she gives her cluck of approval. They will pick a movie together, thinking Sophie may like it or not. I'm not going to tell them what Dave said. I want them to still pick movies with Sophie in mind. Nothing scary.... as it might affect Sophie.... nothing witrh bad language... as it might affect Sophie... I want them to continue to think of Sophie as just another family member. It works for us Nancy

About the only thing that will happen concerning TV is that your grey will pick up on different sounds of greys in any of those videos. A grey may become quiet as he's listening and then may make some *natural sounds of greys in the wild* Videos won't help him learn about new foods or diets. Greys and other parrots aren't able to see things on the TV or videos. Their eyes don't have the ability to see actual images on TVs or video players. They may stare at the TV but it's only the sounds that are causing it to stare in the direction of where the sounds are coming from.

Thank yo very much Dave. I guessed something like that as most of other animals can't perceive TV as humans so that's why I asked. I got my answer