NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Did something bad happen?

jbsmomto1

I noticed this morning Storm's beak looked different, when i looked a little closer and felt it, it feels like a piece maybe fell off, it doesn't feel like a single smooth piece anymore......did something happen to him or is this normal? Will his beak ever be normal again???

Here is a pic you can see the beak is ALL there it just looks odd and feels just as odd.....

ETA: If it matters he is 19 months old, nor does he act like it hurts, I can still touch and grab his beak and he is ok with that. He eats well also

Edited by jbsmomto1

I can't view the photo, but it sounds like part of his beak is just sloughing off, which happens. Dorian's beak is the same. Some people get their greys' beaks "cleaned up" at the same time as they get their talons clipped, but I wouldn't traumatise a bird just for cosmetics. He'll work away at it getting rid of sharp edges if there are any. If he has a pedicure perch he'll probably use it. No worries.

ty, I wondered bc we play the "I'm gonna get your beak" game all the time and I thought I hurt him :( ....pic is public now so you can see

Every grey CAG or TAG gets what looks like a crack in the beak from left to right. The reason is because the outer layer is dead and is being replaced by a fresh layer of beak material. It's a constant occurance. It's probable that you're gonna see that left to right split for the rest of the bird's life.