NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I have an announcement to make!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carolz7

I am so excited to announce that i will be adding an african grey to my flock. I was asked if interested in giving Cyprus a new home since the family can no longer take care of her. After much debating with myself,lol i excepted. My main reason was that she is 18 years old and her previous owner had passed and given her to the current family whom have had her for almost 2 years. My heart absolutely breaks when i hear these poor poor birds being passed around from family to family once there owners pass. I so wish that people would make an effort to go and see what some of these birds look like and the conditions they end up in when being passed around and around.

This might not be the place to put this but was not sure where else to put it.

Make sure you make plans for your birds people once you are gone. And dont think because you are young that you have plenty of time. I just lost a very close bird friend and she was in her early 40's. Came up with the flu and we are just all totally shocked of her passing.

I will be post happy posts after this Cyprus comes to our home on Saturday.

• Haha 2

Its a perfect place to announce your good news. You are so right about making arrangements for a plan in the event of illness or other unscheduled changes in the lives of our companion parrots. There is a limited number of caring homes willing to step in and adopt an older grey. Its even more difficult to look among friends and relatives for someone with experience living with parrots. It is good that you considered long and hard that you are willing to take on Cyprus and make a committment for the long term. Every temporary home may be a stop gap measure but it takes a long time for a parrot to grieve the loss of her "old" life and loved ones and really show her character and potential. It sounds like Cyprus' life is about to change for the better.

Congratulations to you both. As we have 7 now, we are in the process of making sure that they are cared for. We have a few options but want to make the best decision for them. Ages are from 22 or 23 to 5 or 6. It is tough to make these arrangements but well worth it. I can not wait to hear of your newest adventures!

Congratulations! The problem is, as what may have happened with Cyprus, we can make what we feel is a good arrangement. Then after we are gone the people to whom we entrusted our babies change their minds, or their circumstances change and they no longer can care for the birds. Then the birds are pushed around. I have nightmares about what will happen to my 'family' once I am gone.