NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Jealous Cockatiel worries

dm930

My 4 month old Grey (Charlie) has been with us a week now. We have a 8 or 9 month old cockatiel (Enzo)for 4 month now. He is clearly a bit jealous of Charlie. I was a bit nervous having them close to each other but today Charlie jumped off his perch to the carpeted floor and Enzo walked right over to him with no fear of the larger bird and they just sort of stared at each other for a few minutes with not much of a reaction from either. Enzo typically chirps and carries on daily, and Charlie could care less. Neither have exhibited aggressive behavior other than Enzo wanting attention when we are playing with Charlie. Enzo is a male and we are waiting to see this week if Charlie is a male by DNA testing, if that helps...

Demetri

I would be careful having them both close together for if Charlie decided to go after Enzo, he could do real damage to him. I would supervise any close contact between them for right now they are new to each other but you never know what they are going to do, so don't take your eyes off them.

Demetri welcome to the forum :) I am happy you joined.

Keep a close eye on both. I have no idea if they would hurt each other, but it is better to be safe than sorry ;)

hi Demetri,

It sounds like their first intro went well.

As Judy indicated, close supervision is the key, meaning you need to be within arms reach of them incase you need to stop a bite before it happens.

It seems jealousy is natural in a Parrot that wants your attention and is already used to having it like Enzo.

I have a conure that acts the same when we have Dayo our Grey out with us. :-)