NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot diseases contagious to humans

magnus

I have done my own research on various avian diseases that could be passed on to humans. I also asked several bird pet owners and breeders on the matter. I did these because my wife has raised concerns on the possible health problems our grey may cause to our children who are 2 and 8 year old. A friend of her told her that the son of her co-worker has a serious case of brain viral infection that was contracted from a pet bird. The problem is, no details were given and if the information is 100% true.

The problem is, my wife is relatively in a panic mode wherein I could sense that she wants me to get rid of our grey. The situation has placed me in a precarious situation wherein I am in a constant pressure to do something to place the bird out of our children's reach. This may entail in giving it to another person or worst, sell it. I have raised it since it was two months old and devoted a lot of time in socializing it to the point that anyone could handle and play with him/her without getting not even a nip. He/she is now four month old and has started to learn fly.

Please post your own input on the said matter. What possible disease humans can get from our feathered friend? Can it be avoided by keeping our pet healthy, its cage and the room where it is found clean and regularly sanitized? For me, grey enthusiasts who have years of experience in rearing and caring for this unique parrot are one of the best source of information. I need all the information I need before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of "Wives Tales" and misinformation on this subject. I have been around birds my entire life. My Grandparents & Parents all had birds since before I was born. And I have worked with birds in several capacities for my whole life. The reason I am saying this is to show you that if there really were any concerns, I would have heard of them. The only illness that I know of that can be passed from bird to humans is Psittacosis, "Bird Fever". In humans, it appears as a bad cold that will not go away. It is not fatal, and does not escalate to any other degree. And can be treated. If the bird is not treated, it could die. It is also very contagious to other birds. There are some illnesses that humans can pass on to birds, most of which will kill the bird. Also, many people are allergic to birds. That can be overcome with antihistamines. All through history, people have been afraid of birds. That brought about many untrue "observations" by uninformed individuals. You did some research, and found whatever you found. I'm guessing it wasn't enough to draw your own negative conclusions. As far as "brain viral infections', I have never heard of that in my 60 (40+ working) years of being around birds. I would ask your wife to research herself, and maybe question your doctors, and perhaps a neurologist, (for brain viral infections) about this, and any other concerns about your bird..

You can also call one of the big Veterinary colleges or Universities such a s Texas A&M University that has done years of research and teaching about Psitticines and their diseases. Most of our pet birds are raised in clean and healthy conditions these days have been vetted and have not come in from the wild so are never exposed to much of anything communicable to humans. The biggest health issues seem to be from breathing feather dust and you can avoid most of that by having a good air purifier running near your birds cage and not sleeping in the same room as your bird. You poor panicked wife should have more concerns about what our fruits & veggies have been sprayed with, what our meats have been treated with and all the pollutants in our homes and environments. Insecticides, mildew and mold PVC's can make us all sick and can kill your Grey. There are some bad breeders out there who sell birds who have exposures to diseases but those kill the birds not the humans, just heartbreak rather than risk of ill health.

"I think any viral brain infection would be an encephalitis that is transmitted through a mosquito bite from bird to bird an occasionally to humans. These are not from Parrots but our Native birds such as Blue Jays, Crows and Grackles who are subject to this disease.

Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) is a rare but serious viral disease spread by mosquitoes that can affect people and horses. EEE can also cause disease in captive birds such as the ring-necked pheasant, emu, ostriches, quail and ducks. EEE infection and disease can occasionally occur in other livestock, deer, dogs, other mammals, reptiles and amphibians.

EEE is transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes become infected by feeding on infected birds. Infected mosquitoes will then occasionally feed on horses, humans and other mammals. Several species of mosquitoes can become infected with the EEE virus (EEEV). EEE is not spread person-to-person, from people to animals or from animals (other than mosquitoes) to people. "

Encephalitis Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases.../encephalitis/.../con-200219...‎Mayo Clinic

Encephalitis — Comprehensive overview covers symptoms, causes, treatment of this potentially life-threatening condition.

Edited by Greywings

I have done my own research on various avian diseases that could be passed on to humans. I also asked several bird pet owners and breeders on the matter. I did these because my wife has raised concerns on the possible health problems our grey may cause to our children who are 2 and 8 year old. A friend of her told her that the son of her co-worker has a serious case of brain viral infection that was contracted from a pet bird. The problem is, no details were given and if the information is 100% true.

The problem is, my wife is relatively in a panic mode wherein I could sense that she wants me to get rid of our grey. The situation has placed me in a precarious situation wherein I am in a constant pressure to do something to place the bird out of our children's reach. This may entail in giving it to another person or worst, sell it. I have raised it since it was two months old and devoted a lot of time in socializing it to the point that anyone could handle and play with him/her without getting not even a nip. He/she is now four month old and has started to learn fly.

Please post your own input on the said matter. What possible disease humans can get from our feathered friend? Can it be avoided by keeping our pet healthy, its cage and the room where it is found clean and regularly sanitized? For me, grey enthusiasts who have years of experience in rearing and caring for this unique parrot are one of the best source of information. I need all the information I need before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance.

Read all the posts/answers in this thread. Basically, you'll see that greys don't affect or transmit diseases to people but they can get sick from us. Kissing on the mouth is one example---if a person's saliva gets into the bird's system, they may get sick from the person who passed on the saliva.

About the only illness that can happen is when a person in the house has asythma or different types on COPD which is another breathing disease. That happens from the dust/dander that comes from greys.

I think you should ask your friend what kind of bird he was referring to. I've never heard of a grey who could cause any brain disease either to a person or another grey.

Also show your wife these answers. She's worrying about nothing.

Most people give or sell their greys only when breathing problems are present.

Edited by Dave007

All have excellent posts! As a medical person.... YOU will give your bird a disease, WAY before they give you one!~My dogs go to the vet quite often for vaccinations, Zoey for her seizures and thyroid issues. If my birds need to go to the vet...one person sits in the car, the other person waits in the vet office.My birds will NEVER sit in a vet office!!!!! They are too suseptable to diseases. Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for all the detailed responses. I will print and show them to my wife. We are also set to visit a vet who expressed the same opinion stated herein so my wife would hear from an expert. I am confident that after she reads the responses stated herein and hears the explanation given by the vet, our grey will stay with indefinitely. By the way, I also bought an air purifier as suggested by Greywings.

I am really glad I joined this forum. Kudos to all and thanks so much once again!

• Haha 1