NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Watermelon rind?

Muse

I have been told cantaloupe rind is not good for birds. Can they eat watermelon rind? I know humans (and pigs and chickens) can. I have had some delicious watermelon rind pickles before with no ill effects. I just cut up a little 'personal watermelon' and was wondering if it was okay to offer the rinds to the birds.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared on this subject.

Thanks to Talon for answering in the Forum chat box. Megan is now happily crunching away on a skewer of rind pieces, and throwing the bites all over the room. I put some on the 'scary thing' on the bird stand and Maks (cockatiel) and Alex (sun conure) are also having lots of fun.

I cut up one cantaloupe and one "personal" watermelon, along with a very ripe mango for breakfast this morning. I anticipate lots of cleaning later...

I have given my parrots watermelon in the rind, but they never seem interested in the rind. They just eat the watermelon and leave the rest behind.

Be careful though, Nilah ate so much watermelon one time that her poops looks like watery blood for about 2 days after. I panicked and almost rushed her off to Tufts University about 3 hours away one weekend. Then I realized what it was as it got better and the vet I called explained it to me...

Now I only serve it in small limited amounts only a few times a year.

I've given my birds the rind of various melons, but not the outer skin. Just the flesh below the hard outer skin. Worrying about pesticides, fungicides, waxes, processing plant chemical washes, etc. And, of course, they got the melon itself, which I shared with them. Melons that I grew myself, they got all of, and enjoyed immensely.

I'm with BaileysPapa on this and remove the outer skin as well. It's easy to do. I do find my parrots only eat the juicy sweet portions of any melon and toss the rest with great gusto. Speaking of which I absolutely cleaning all the floor and walls in that area afterwards. But the joy of watching them dig in is worth it. :)

• 2 weeks later...