NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Tampa, FL

asnead72

Hi everyone. My name is Angie and I have a male African Grey named Smokey (I know, my husband named him because he's gray like smoke...egad!). He is the only bird I have ever had and we bought him from a pet store when he was still on monkey food. He's definitely a mama's boy and will only let me hold him, pet him, play with him, and feed him. My husband, Jerry, tries to be a part of his life, but I see the betrayal in Smokey's eyes when Jerry pushes his finger through the cage to pet his beak!

I am going through growing pains right now with Smokey. We have had a major alteration in our lifestyle and he is letting me know every day how much he hates the change. But we are working on it together! I have always treated him like a child of mine and wouldn't have it any other way.<br><br>Post edited by: asnead72, at: 2007/10/30 03:09

Hello and welcome to the family, Angie, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about Smokey. Actually I have a cat named Smokey and she is charcoal gray color.

Yes unfortunately a lot of greys become one person birds and mine is no exception, she only allows me to interact with her, she will tolerate my hubby sometimes but she will take cheese from him.

Please read thru our many threads on various topics for lots of useful information and if you have any specific questions please just ask, we don't consider any question to be silly or stupid.

If you have a picture you would like to share with us please do so, we would love to see another photo of Smokey besides the one in your avatar.

Hi Angie,

When we first got Radar he had lived the last 10 years with a single woman, so he was very afraid of my husband (Jerry also). But as time went on, Radar started to "come around". Now Jerry cleans up after him, feeds him and handles him.

Just give Smokey and Jerry a little time, hopefully Smokey will learn to love him.