NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Falcons - How deadly fast and accurate are they... Watch!

danmcq

Though I hate the thought of birds being taken by raptors. It is a cycle of life that maintains balance in nature. So I thought I would share this with those that might be interested in just how accurate falcons are and why in this new study that breaks new ground:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/screeee-bird-cams-reveal-how-falcons-attack-their-prey-2D11939820

Answering the phone for the local Parrot sanctuary I have learned first hand how sudden and silent these winged predators are. Such a shock when someone looses the bird that was perched on their shoulder to a Hawk. Beautiful but deadly. Thank you for the reminder Dan.

Edited by Greywings

All Raptors are incredible fliers. Listen to the wind going through their wing feathers. When I lived in NYC, I knew a falconer who monitored the birds used to control pigeon populations. Most people in NYC do not even know these birds exist in the city. They nest & roost on top of skyscrapers, and catch their prey in the air. I was on the 57th floor of one building (yes, inside the building) watching a nest of falcons on another building. When I had a Wildlife Rehab Permit, I worked with a few injured falcons & hawks, but, gave them to a fellow rehabber. I worked mostly with owls.

There's a breeding pair of large hawks in a tree right in front of the house. Even though I'm relatively adjusted to their presence during the season, they still manage to unnerve me at times by materializing suddenly. They're fearless & so fast, silent & deadly that I can't say I've ever really gotten used to them.

I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the day they finally leave that nest for another breeding ground. They spent about 5 yrs in their last nest which was a couple of acres away, then abandoned it voluntarily. I'm hopeful it's a cycle they'll repeat w/in the next year or two. Cycle of life or no, it makes me sad to see the fly ridden gobs of meat that used to be my songbirds.

Edited by birdhouse