NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Replacing flooring concerns

jensgotfaith

I'm replacing the vinyl flooring in one of my bathrooms. It will be vinyl flooring being laid on top of the current vinyl flooring. Not what I would like but what we can afford right now. I've already confirmed that there is no asbestos in either flooring, although like I said the old flooring will not be ripped up. I asked the company about the glue being used and have been told they researched it and it is a mild water-based glue that isn't toxic. He said there should be no smell even. What I'm concerned about is whether or not it is still toxic even though it's water based and supposedly non toxic. I am prepared to remove my Grey but didn't know how long I would need to keep her out. She wouldn't be near the bathroom if she stayed. I just don't want to take any chances but I didn't want to panic either. Can anyone offer some advice?

I'm replacing the vinyl flooring in one of my bathrooms. It will be vinyl flooring being laid on top of the current vinyl flooring. Not what I would like but what we can afford right now. I've already confirmed that there is no asbestos in either flooring, although like I said the old flooring will not be ripped up. I asked the company about the glue being used and have been told they researched it and it is a mild water-based glue that isn't toxic. He said there should be no smell even. What I'm concerned about is whether or not it is still toxic even though it's water based and supposedly non toxic. I am prepared to remove my Grey but didn't know how long I would need to keep her out. She wouldn't be near the bathroom if she stayed. I just don't want to take any chances but I didn't want to panic either. Can anyone offer some advice?

To ease your mind, remove your grey if you want to. But as far as glue toxicity, it's impossible to tell you whether it's toxic. The only thing to go on is what the company said. It's their glue and they know about it. If she's away from the bathroom for about 3 to 4 days, there should be no problem plus the bathroom door can always be kept shut. If the bathroom has a window, it can be left slightly open. You shouldn't have problems. because all the work that's being done is in an enclosed area.

Edited by Dave007

See my thread about the same issue here.

I see I never updated the thread:

We had over 3/4 of our house redone with tile and wood flooring which required the adhesive shown in that thread. Several square yards of linoleum removed creating lots of dust. They also busted out some counter tops and lots of paint and sanding. We also had to halt work and get the foundation company in and they busted three new holes in our foundation which resulted in dust every damn where from the jack hammers. I ended up keeping them in the birdroom for a solid week, one of two rooms that weren't affected, with a towel across the bottom of the door to keep any fumes and dust at bay. I stayed in there with them for a lot of that time just to make sure no smell was getting in. They were absolutely fine.

Thank you both so much. I was worried and my Grey, Kenzie, is my girl and I didn't want to risk anything. She's talking up a storm and acting like a 2 year old at the same time. I am still completely in love with her. She cracks me up every day. I'll have to take a pic or a video and upload it sometime. Anyhow, thanks again for being so reassuring! I greatly appreciate it!