NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sunflower seed

Dave007

I'm posting this just in case you feel like you're doing great harm to your bird because every now and then, he/she is getting an excess of sunflower seed. I hope this relieves peoples' minds.

We often hear about people telling us to avoid feeding sunflower seeds to our parrots, because these are unhealthy and lacks in nutritional value. Are sunflower seeds really bad for parrots?

I decided to find about the nutritional fact of sunflower seeds simply because they're put into just about every companys' parrot mix.. It was a long search but the facts below have been proven to be correct. If it wasn't true, I wouldn't post it. If there's a doubt in your mind, look it up yourself.

Do you know sunflower seeds are excellent sources of various vitamins and minerals?

Sunflower seeds are actually a good source of Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Copper, Manganese, Selenium, Iron and Zinc and a very good source of Vitamin E

1. Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)

Vitamin E (also known as Alpha Tocopherol) is actually a fat soluble antioxidant. Vitamin E is also an important element in reproductive hormones. Deficiency in Vitamin E can lead to health problems in parrots like poor fertility, appear lethargic, muscle disorders, poor skin and plumage conditions.

2. Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

Vitamin B6 (also known as Pyridoxine) is a water soluble vitamin helps in the break down of proteins. Deficiency in Vitamin B6 can lead to poor growth, loss of appetite and poor egg production.

3. Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)

Vitamin B1 (also known as Thiamin) is also a water soluble vitamin in the vitamin B complex group. It helps to maintain a healthy nervous systems in parrots. Deficiency in Vitamin B1 can lead to loss of appetite, lethargy, seizures and even death.

4. Magnesium

Magnesium serves several important functions in parrots. It helps in the relaxation and contraction of the muscle. An important element for the production of proteins, and converting carbohydrates, proteins and fats into energy. Deficiency in Magnesium can lead to poor growth, lethargy and even death.

5. Potassium

Potassium is an important mineral for proper growth. It helps in the metabolism of carbohydrates. Deficiency in Potassium can result in poor growth rate and kidney disorders.

6. Phosphorus

Phosphorous is an important mineral needed for proper growth and bone formation. Deficiency in Phosphorous can result in bone problems.

7. Copper

Copper is an important mineral that helps in the formation of red blood cells and also keeping the blood vessels, nerves, immune system, and bones healthy. Deficiency in Copper can lead to anemia and bone deformities.

8. Manganese

Manganese is an essential mineral that helps in the formation of strong healthy bones. Deficiency in Manganese can lead to bones problems.

9. Selenium

Selenium helps create antioxidant enzymes that helps preventing and repairing damage cells. Deficiency in Selenium may impair the reproduction system.

10. Iron

Iron is an important mineral needed to make the oxygen-carrying proteins hemoglobin and myoglobin. Deficiency in Iron can result in anemia.

11. Zinc

Zinc is an essential mineral. It plays a vital role in wound healing, regulation of blood-sugar and strengthening the immune system. Deficiency in Zinc can lead to slow and poor growth, and poor feather conditions.

Other than vitamins and minerals, sunflower seeds are also an excellent source of protein and dietary fibre. Traces of linoleic acid are also found in sunflower seeds. Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid. It is an important element for proper growth, wound healing and reproduction.

With these findings, I can testify that sunflower seeds aren’t really low in nutritional value as I thought.

Sunflower seeds can be an ideal supplement to the parrots’ daily nutritional needs without affecting the health. Still keep the veggie diet. Still give fruit once in a while. Still give human food.

PLUS---In the wild, many of the small softbill birds --chickadees, titmice, siskins, juncos, house sparrows, seek out black oil sunflower seed FIRST before eating anything else. For those birds, black oil sunflower seeds can help them exist in the worst of winters and allow them to stay in prime condition for the rest of the year. (oil sunflower seed isn't for parrots)

Edited by Dave007

I, too, have been told of the excess fat in a diet with many sunflower seeds. But, still, feed my birds mixes that contain sunflower seeds. My wife read about fatty liver disease, and had me remove the sunflower seeds from her Parrotlets diet. I did, against my better judgement. After a short while, she noticed that he was picking the skin off of his legs and feet, and his cere was very dry. A visit to the vets, and the vet said to rub some mineral oil on his legs and feet because the skin was so dry. I listened to my wife and the vets consultation quietly. Then, I told the vet that we had removed sunflower seeds from his diet, and he was getting very little fat. She said that that was the problem. We've added them back, and the Parrotlet is doing fine. Birds, (indeed, all living things) need a certain amount of everything in moderation. Fats, carbohydrates, etc.

Thank you for this excellent and informative post, Dave. I had been reserving sunflower seeds for Inara for treats during our up close and personal time. I wasn't worried about their fat content since fat is necessary for so many things -- and since I weaned her off of her family of origin's southern comfort french fried and cheesey diet I wasn't concerned about the fat in sunflower seeds and nuts. But I was concerned because of the way back in the early 80s when my then vet had mentioned that sunflower seeds can be addictive in parrots. So at that point, I began only using them as treats once or twice a day for my amazon and my CAG. I haven't looked up the "addiction" factor in these more modern nutrition times, and will go research that one post-haste, as those were wayyyy pre-internet-information-at-our-fingertips times and I honestly hadn't thought to delve into what may have been misinformation from way back then, I'm embarrassed to say.

Wow ! thank you for the information, i was really surprised when people told me to cut down on the sunflower seeds, but now you're information proves them wrong! and as everyone said, to be moderate when giving sunflower seeds to our birds is the key :) <3

• 2 weeks later...

One quick question for Dave or anybody who has knowledge?

How about corn? I found that corn is my Büdü's favorite. I keep trying to make him eat different things but he is very stubborn. I'll try some different pellets which I can find but if I can't succeed, my plan is to give him sunflower seeds and corn based main diet. How much of this diet should be corn (vs sunflower seeds)?

One quick question for Dave or anybody who has knowledge?

How about corn? I found that corn is my Büdü's favorite. I keep trying to make him eat different things but he is very stubborn. I'll try some different pellets which I can find but if I can't succeed, my plan is to give him sunflower seeds and corn based main diet. How much of this diet should be corn (vs sunflower seeds)?

Corn has absolutely no nutrition in it that's good for a grey. It's not harmful to eat but as far as part of a main diet, it's useless. There's other species of parrots that eat corn and it's good for them. Not greys though. The huge majority of greys won't even eat the corn that's in a bowl. Your main diet shouldn't only be sunflower seeds. They thrive on different veggies which is what they normally eat. That's where they absorb healthy products. I never spoke about sunflower seeds being a main diet. WHAT I did say was that if sunflower seeds are in the different bags of parrot mix, then people shouldn't worry so much about them. I stated the ingredients in sunflower seeds so people wouldn't automatically start pulling them out and throwing them away. Concerning the value of corn for people, it also lacks anything great for people.

Thanks Dave. As I mentioned he refuses to eat veggies, fruits, dried fruits etc for now. But I'll try to make him get used to them but as he only eats sunflower seeds and corn only, I'll give them as a main course until he gets used to other food. I know greys are stubborn but I'll keep trying.

Thanks Dave. As I mentioned he refuses to eat veggies, fruits, dried fruits etc for now. But I'll try to make him get used to them but as he only eats sunflower seeds and corn only, I'll give them as a main course until he gets used to other food. I know greys are stubborn but I'll keep trying.

Burak, have you tried boiled egg or a baked/boiled chicken wing? Timber is very fond of those.

That is exactly what I was going to say as well. Marco LOVES chicken and the bone of a chicken wing, loves scrambled eggs, loves french fries (tho she doesnt get many of those) loves bean mixes. Have you tried the sprout thing yet? I know some people go through all that for their beloved birds too. I make birdie bread for Marco and hide all that stuff in there for her from jalapeno peppers to pellets, and bake it up like a bread and she gets a piece of that every day and she LOVES it. She also loves a tiny cap full of pomegranite juice as well as the fresh pomegranite fruit. Oh and cheese she loves cheese.

Sometimes I heard it said if they see YOU eating it, they will become inquisitive and want to see what it is you are eating you could try that as well!!! Marco likes a cracker too with a lil dab of peanut butter. Everything in moderation ... keep trying.

You might even try warming up something for your bird Marco loves her food warm.

Whatever you do .... DONT give up trying new things and new ways to feed them to your bird.

Edited by aerial.2000

That is exactly what I was going to say as well. Marco LOVES chicken and the bone of a chicken wing, loves scrambled eggs, loves french fries (tho she doesnt get many of those) loves bean mixes. Have you tried the sprout thing yet? I know some people go through all that for their beloved birds too. I make birdie bread for Marco and hide all that stuff in there for her from jalapeno peppers to pellets, and bake it up like a bread and she gets a piece of that every day and she LOVES it. She also loves a tiny cap full of pomegranite juice as well as the fresh pomegranite fruit. Oh and cheese she loves cheese.

Sometimes I heard it said if they see YOU eating it, they will become inquisitive and want to see what it is you are eating you could try that as well!!! Marco likes a cracker too with a lil dab of peanut butter. Everything in moderation ... keep trying.

You might even try warming up something for your bird Marco loves her food warm.

Whatever you do .... DONT give up trying new things and new ways to feed them to your bird.

Thanks for the tips. Our former African Grey (passed away a few years ago) was literally eating everything, I think it's a matter of time and trust between us and him. I try to offer him different things in different ways, eat in front of him, etc. Until this week he wasn't even trying but this week he tried some pellets which I waited in some apple juice. I think that's a big progress for him:D

• 2 months later...

Thanks Dave ! you put my mind to rest ! my Mama Mia who I had just over a week basicly only mainly eats sunflower seed, she might some times eat some apple or banana but not always ! the previous owner only gave it sunflower seeds & other crap !

thanks.