NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Full Spectrum Lighting

Candi

Any opinions on UVA/UVB/Full Spectrum lighting? I know Greys are notorious for calcium deficiencies so I thought it would be beneficial to have a full spectrum light by Echos cage. But I was told that they are not necessary and basically just a waste of money...any thoughts? :confused:

I am uncertain of your source that stated avian lighting is not necessary, but they are completely wrong. The only exception to that, would be you live in a climate that you can take your birds outdoors all year long for at least 4 hours of full sunlight each day. It is crucial to vitamin D3 production in their body. Without this, calcium is not absorbed at all. Avian light simply near the cage area is not correct and would be non effective. It must be place over them and the correct distance to ensure they are receiving UVB which falls off exponentially as the distance from the lighting increases. Most avian bulbs only produces levels of UVB that are only are useful at about 12 inches away from the birds head over their favorite perching spot. So it requires a proper lamp stand and bulb to have the beneficial effects.

This is the stand and bulb I recommend: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5690+24615&pcatid=24615

Also so, please view this forum thread in our health room by Dave007, one of our most respected and experienced grey breeder on this forum: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?157511-UVB-LIGHTING-IT-S-IMPORTANCE

Edited by danmcq

Thank you very much for the info! Its a little overwhelming as a newbie...there are so many do's and dont's! I didn't think that advice was correct and now I know. Its wonderful having all of this knowledge and experience in one place, thanks again! :)

I am uncertain of your source that stated avian lighting is not necessary, but they are completely wrong. The only exception to that, would be you live in a climate that you can take your birds outdoors all year long for at least 4 hours of full sunlight each day. It is crucial to vitamin D3 production in their body. Without this, calcium is not absorbed at all. Avian light simply near the cage area is not correct and would be non effective. It must be place over them and the correct distance to ensure they are receiving UVB which falls off exponentially as the distance from the lighting increases. Most avian bulbs only produces levels of UVB that are only are useful at about 12 inches away from the birds head over their favorite perching spot. So it requires a proper lamp stand and bulb to have the beneficial effects.

This is the stand and bulb I recommend: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+5690+24615&pcatid=24615

Also so, please view this forum thread in our health room by Dave007, one of our most respected and experienced grey breeder on this forum: http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?157511-UVB-LIGHTING-IT-S-IMPORTANCE

Oh - on sale - ordering!

Please be careful with this light especially: AvianSun Deluxe Floor Lamp

I purchased one and positioned it just as it shows. MY tag got a very badly sunburned eye which which at first the vet thought was an eye infection. We treated her with eye drops for 2 weeks with no relief before I realized it was the light burning her eye. Once I removed it and tossed the entire light & bulb it in the trash, her eye cleared up in a few days. I previously used a different light that sits on the top of her cage, I went back to that with with no problems.

Use the new model, it is a much better stand. Place it directly over the cage as shown in the photo so it is 12 " above (On initial burn in place it 16 " away for the first 30 days)the top of your greys head when he is sitting on his favorite perching area. It will not create a burn or damage eyes. That only happens when people place them shining in from the side and too close to the birds face. Just follow the instructs that come with the avian sun lamp and all will work perfectly.

Edited by danmcq

FYI: It was the second model.

This is what I use on all of my 5 bird cages:

http://www.amazon.com/FeatherBrite-White-Capitol-Universal-Light/dp/B0002PCSMG/ref=sr_1_4/182-3582332-4887359?ie=UTF8&qid=1389980422&sr=8-4&keywords=avian+light

I rest it on the top of their cages, I remove them at night as I cover my birds at night.

Edited by Talon

FYI: It was the second model.

This is what I use on all of my 5 bird cages:

http://www.amazon.com/FeatherBrite-White-Capitol-Universal-Light/dp/B0002PCSMG/ref=sr_1_4/182-3582332-4887359?ie=UTF8&qid=1389980422&sr=8-4&keywords=avian+light

I rest it on the top of their cages, I remove them at night as I cover my birds at night.

What I do agree with is the price and wattage of the bulb----$19.95. I have the same type of bulb that's about $17.

What I don't agree with is the lighting fixture. A lighting fixture just like that can be gotten from Home Depot, Office Depot, large department stores, hardware stores that sell lighting fixtures, for between $15 to $20. The lighting fixtures even come in different colors. I even have a similar type that can hold an 8 in. long flourscent light which I have next to my laptop when I use it in the night. That bulb is 7 watts. In all, I have 4 lighting fixtures just like the one the company sells which is laying around the house. I use one over my workshop table in the basement because of the tiny intricate work I do when building ships which Luvparrots knows all about.

PS----the height of these fixtures are all adjustable, can be clipped onto any cage top. -----adjustable===10 inches to 24 inches.

Edited by Dave007

I use the Avian sun 5.0 bulb. The new stand should reach that high unless your talking about have the playtop model and your wanting to place the lamp 18 inches above the highest point of the play top. My cage is not a play top, it is a round top cage a little over 5 feet tall. When dayo is perched on his favorite spot, the lamp is 12 " from the top of his head because it has already burned in. When it was new, it easily adjusted to 18 " above his head.

I bought mine elsewhere and on sale. After dealing with what I went thru with Talon's eye. I didn't care how much I had to spend to make sure thatTalon was safe, what I had for my other birds, never had a problem with those lights, so I played it safe.

Yes, be sure and get the new model. I had the old one and the stand truely was crappy! The new one is much, much better. As Dan said, read the directions carefully about the burn in period and placement. I am on my third bulb and haven't had a problem with Timber being burned. Talon, I wonder if you got a defective bulb or something?

Timber really likes the light. It doesn't put out any heat (more than a regular bulb) does, but after spraying or after a bath he heads straight for the perch the light is directed at and "suns" himself there after he has done his usual after-bath flapping about.

Talon or anyone else: what were the symptoms you saw that let you know there was an issue with your Grey's eyes in regard to the UV light? I have Greycie set up for the first time this morning. I'm only going to run it for a couple of hours and it's also higher than recommended, even for the burn-in period. I plan to lower it with time to the recommended distance and increase the on time as well once I know her eyes are not being effected.

The instructions on the bulb are screwed up. They say 18" to the perch, then they give a detailed description showing the distance to measure is from the bulb to the top of the parrots head. So which is it?

Talon was blinking a lot, and I saw redness on the outer skin around her eye. IT started out as kind of pink, then when I saw it was redder, and she blinked a lot, I took her to the vet when didn't know it was a burn and she was treated for what he thought wwas an eye infection.