NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I read online in a few places that Yankee Candles are safe.....is this true?

Michellec

You can get scented beeswax candles. The main thing bird owners worry about is the lead in the wick. If you ensure there is no lead, the candle whether beeswax or not is fine. We used to use natural scented candles. The switched to the scensie warmers and get natural scents. However, we only use them for a short time like 30 minutes, then turn it off. If we do think the smell is a little strong, we simply open a few windows to dilute it a bit.

Actually, from research I have done, another problem (besides lead in wicks) is that most candles, if they are not labeled "100% Soy" or "pure beeswax" are made with waxes of petroleum origins. Many of they heavy oil synthetic perfumes used in candles are also not healthy. I have sensitivities to some heavy scents, a good sniff of the wrong candle can ruin the rest of my day. I can only imagine what this stuff does to a bird.

I would say safety for birds depends on several factors:

1. The candle base material. Ever wonder why the melted end product of a used candle is much smaller than the candle before being burned? Part of the wax is actually turned to vapor by the combustion. That means minute particles of the wax, whatever type, is then present in the air near the candle. This is why we can smell them. Those tiny particles, unseen by the eye, are deposited on our olfactory receptor cells. If we can smell it, that means there are tiny particles hanging in the air that are also being inhaled into lungs.

2. Type of scent. Many are based on petroleum products, and other harmful synthetic compounds. The difference between aromatic oil and essential oil is that essential oils are plant based oils. Aromatic oils may come from various sources, including potentially toxic or carcinogenic chemicals and compounds. Here is an interesting like on fragrances - it is based on fragrances as they apply to perfumes, colognes and body sprays, but remember many of these same 'scents' are also put into candles.

http://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2010/05/something-stinks-secrecy-and-health-hazards-courtesy-fragrance-industry

The trend with candles also seems to be moving towards more and more scent products per candle. Buyer beware.

3. Proximity to birds and volume of air exchange in the home. Sadly, in our quest for energy-efficiency, we have made our homes into tightly closed eco-systems where in we then introduce all kinds of toxins to the air we are breathing. From formaldehyde to PTFEs, what used to be diluted due to air exchange with outside air, they are now held within the rooms where they are released as homes become more tightly sealed against the outside elements (including the element of fresh air). The good thing is that many scents are large enough molecules that they will 'drop out' of the air over distance. If the scent is still strong where birds are, it is probably too close.

Having had problems with environmental asthma and having a sister with full-blown asthma, I know it is very important to monitor 'scents', especially heavy ones - no matter how good they may smell. As a nurse, I have to believe that if things can affect the breathing of a set of human lungs with asthma, it stands to reason that they cannot be healthy for birds.

Even lighting the beeswax candles and use of essential oils here are not done in close proximity to the birds, just because I am an over-protective, paranoid nut case. ;) YMMV. That being said, I do have a friend who has had birds for years with no apparent problems and with better than average life spans, who has regularly used regular candles in the same room.

I don't use any scented candles (or other things) in the area Timber is in either. I do still use warmers in other areas of the house. I live in a house that was built in 1915. It is large and, obviously, not very air-tight. I try to error on the conservative side. If I am in the room with Timber and can smell a scented item from there, I move it somewhere else. That hasn't happened since I first got him and was experimenting with placement. As you said though, I know people with parrots and other birds that continue to burn candles and use other types of air fresheners right in the room with their birds. I'm not taking that chance, but it does make me wonder.