NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I read online in a few places that Yankee Candles are safe.....is this true?

Michellec

Or do I need to go only with beeswax? If so, where do you order beeswax candles online? avitec.com is always out of the beeswax.

Our dogs are making our house smell, it's noticeable now that we can no longer use doggie perfume or candles/oil lamps etc....

Keeping Nala safe is #1, therefore I'm asking and not just believing what I read online at other places.

Thanks.

Edited by Michellec

Another source for beeswax candles with lead free wicks:

http://www.avitec.com/category-s/29.htm

If you're more concerned about the doggie aroma, you can get a little crockpot (the 2 cup size) and put water, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange peel, and vanilla into it and just leave it on low. Makes the house smell great. You can do the same thing in a pot on the stove, but the little crockpots work really well, and you don't have to worry about having a hot pot of liquid forgotten on the stove. You can also take that same mixture after it has infused into the water, and put it into a little misting bottle and spritz a bit into the room. You can also have fun experimenting with other natural spice scents.

Edited by Inara

https://www.candleshopcreations.com/home.php

This is where I get mine. I believe it is a small personal shop run by a young mother. I believe I read that she gets her beeswax from her parents, who run Honeyflow Farm who also sell candles. I get mine from the daughter's shop and have been very pleased both with her service and the candles themselves. I initially requested the ones with lavender essential oil and she actually persuaded me not to buy those, but to try the plain beeswax as she thought the essential oils might prove harmful to the birds. She advised me to check with my avian vet before purchasing anything other than pure beeswax.

I do love the soft glow and warm sweet smell of pure beeswax candles.

Our Avian vet recommended some candles and I bought one. I took the label off mine to improve appearance but I think it is this:

http://petcandles.com/index.htm I will check with them Monday as I need to schedule follow up for Mar anyway.

They use them in the office and claim they are safe for use around birds (they are labeled for reptiles). Personally? I wasn't sure. Once I burned it, I found the wick did have a wire core, but I don't think I am going to keep using it. They are probably okay but I tend to be a bit extreme with being cautious. I have a friend with an over 20 year old cockatiel and he burns just regular cheap candles daily and insists I am a paranoid nutcase. Which is probably true, but I am a paranoid nutcase with healthy (so far) birdies.

I have been given a Scentsy burner with some of the scented wax. I am told they are all natural. I have not and will not use it because I am worried. The bird room is next to the kitchen which is the only place I have ever had candles to begin with. I was wondering how safe the Scentsy burners would be.

I've heard it's safe to take an essential oil like lavendar and put a few drops on the furnace filter to get a subtle fragrance in the house. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I am going to discuss essential oils and oil warmers with my avian vet this week. I will post here what she her answer is.

I have been given a Scentsy burner with some of the scented wax. I am told they are all natural. I have not and will not use it because I am worried. The bird room is next to the kitchen which is the only place I have ever had candles to begin with. I was wondering how safe the Scentsy burners would be.

I took a very long look at their website and didn't see anything about "natural" except for describing the style of some of their burners. They also market the scents in other formats which makes me believe they are not using essential oils or anything natural. I would recommend a bathroom away from the birds, or a bedroom they aren't allowed in, if you want to use it. I am moving to beeswax here, even in my wax burners (and I just bought two new ones). The jury is out on the essential oils until I speak to the birds' vet this week. It looks like Scentsy has some adorable burners. Maybe skip their wax and substitute with some soy/essential oil or even beeswax?

No no no! Yankee Candles are by no means safe for birds! I live about 2 miles from the flagship store, and about 3 miles from the manufacturing plant where the candles are made. The smell is very potent from the fragrance they are using that particular day, even tho they have an incredible system for filtering the smell, due to the carcinogens they emit. Some people in the area get headaches even...so NO they are not safe for birds.

I gave away all my Scentsy when we got Nala. School teachers and dog groomers love taking them!

Found this on the web. It talked about how Glade plug-ins killed several people's birds. I would be leery of any product with a scent because it means the scent is volatilizing in the air. "The take-home message is that any volatile oil (fragrance) has the potential for causing illness and possible death in birds. Obviously, the concentration in a product and length of exposure are factors to be considered. Products containing a high concentration of volatile oils, as in Glade Plug-Ins, should be avoided completely."

Birds airways are very sensitive and fragile. Remember when they fly they clear their airways before flight. Light as a feather is the way they go. I do not use any scents in my home and if I happen to cook anything with a heavy odor I make sure the fans are on. Having children who were/are very asthmatic and spending many nights in the emergency room you become very sensitive to enjoying fresh air and free breathing.

Guest Jocelyn

I am interested in the idea of the natural oils like lavender that seems like a great idea! Looking forward to hearing what the vet says...

Okay, we had our follow up appointment today, and I asked the vet about using essential oils. She said that some are stronger than others and she would not recommend using them in a warmer or candle right next to the bird cage and not in a heavy concentration, but said that essential oils are often used, specifically lavender, for their calming effect on animals. I am going to order some of the lavender candles beeswax tealights from Candleshop Creations. I have used oils in a 'wick' warmer before, but not right near the birds, as I had read they are actually beneficial. And if you think about it, they are smelling essential oils in nature when they smell fruits and flowers as these are the 'essences' of what makes things smell good.

And those are the candles from petcandles.com that they sell (and use) there. They highly recommend them and said they are safe. I have decided to rehome mine, but that is just because I am a fanatical paranoid nutcase, hehe. I am going to move to all beeswax, and of course my trusty little crock pot. I have been making spiced teas and infusions, then when they are spent, I dump them in the crock pot and let them simmer to scent the house. :)

You can get scented beeswax candles. The main thing bird owners worry about is the lead in the wick. If you ensure there is no lead, the candle whether beeswax or not is fine. We used to use natural scented candles. The switched to the scensie warmers and get natural scents. However, we only use them for a short time like 30 minutes, then turn it off. If we do think the smell is a little strong, we simply open a few windows to dilute it a bit.