NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

baby Timneh coming soon!

Steve1

We have a baby Timneh coming next week from a breeder in Florida. We are located in Northern Calif and have been reading all of the great info here on the forums. We're a family of 2 parental units, 12 yr old human, 6 yr old Labradoodle, 12 week Havanese puppy, 2 cockatiels, 1 ball python, and a partridge in a pear tree! Merry Xmas all.

Just one question right now.. This breeder does clip his birds, and I want to have our bird on a tree play stand much of the time in our family room. Would a 4 month old grey have the perching skills to handle moving around a playstand comfortably without falling or should we figure out another plan until his perching skills get better? Looking at the sandblasted manzanita stands.. I have a tabletop stand coming also. I'm not sure that this bird has been fledged, but I'll find out from breeder. I do intend to let wings grow out and probably maintain a light trim for various reasons. Interested in any thoughts regarding Greys at this age and their perching ability, etc. Thanks in advance!

Welcome Steve1, it's GreYt having you here. At 4 months sold, they do have fair balance, but not perfect like a more experienced and mature grey. Sitting on a stable perch as on a T-Stand or Tree Stand as you mention would reduce the odds of a slip and fall. They normally fall while climbing around their cage and playing with toys. Your grey may still fall, but if it is in a carpeted area no harm will be done. If you have hardwood or other hard flooring, just place some towels or a blanket around the stand in case of a fall.

I look forward to hearing more from you. :)

This is helpful, thank you! Still working on names, and we should know the sex soon. Will send pics and more info when he/she arrives. Not crazy about the shipping ordeal, but finding a Timneh breeder in our region has been near impossible. I've read some articles that say that after arriving in the new home (after a long plane ride, etc) let the baby get accustomed to his new home a few days before taking him out, but then others say it's really best to comfort and handle the bird as soon as he arrives. It probably depends on the particular bird and how they're doing, but if anyone has any suggestions on the first few days, we would appreciate it. Thanks again and we look forward to being part of the Grey forum.

I brought my TAG, Ana Grey, home at 4 months old. She was agile and very curious. She was clipped. I think all breeders think clipping their greys protects them from stupid new owners. It was about a year before she could truly fly and has not stopped since. My grey's breeder told me to love and comfort my new grey because she was looking for her "flock" and to bond with her new "flock". Ask your breeder how much your grey has been handled and how comfortable it is with people. Ana Grey was and still is very unafraid and loves people and sharing their (human's meal) food with them. When you get your grey home, see now it reacts and go from there. Talk to your grey, as they so want to belong and understand what is required to belong to its new home. Enjoy!

Welcome. I agree, if your baby accepts it, comfort him/her and let them know you are going to be gentle and supportive.

My Timneh came home at almost 3 months and was a little unsteady, but he had a horrible clip!! I handled him right away and he developed a strong bond with me. My Sun came at a little over a year and I handled him all the way home ( I know, not good for a car ride) and he also has a strong bond with me - a little too strong sometimes!! LOL

Looking forward to hearing more about your new family member.

Hello Steve and welcome to our family.

Congrats on your new addition to the family coming next week, what a way to start off a new year. As far as handling your new grey when you get him/her home just play it by ear, put him/her in the cage to get started on the adjustment but open the cage door and see if he/she will come out on their own, let it be their decision to want to interact with the family for each grey is an individual and will react accordingly. He/she may still be a little unsteady at first until they get their bearings so don't put him/her on too high a perch to begin with or heavily pad the floor around him/her in case of falls until he/she gets more confident.