NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Homosexuality of Greys

MKparrot

There is List of birds (and parrots among them), that (allegedly) there is documented evidence of homosexual or transgender behavior of one or more of the following kinds: sex, courtship, affection, pair bonding, or parenting, as noted in researcher and author Bruce Bagemihl's 1999 book Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity. Find the List here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_displaying_homosexual_behavior

No Greys on the list. Yet, here is a video

Do you have any idea if Greys can display homosexual or transgender behavior or you have witnessed of such?:confused:

I have seen many same sex bird bonds, Greys among them, that bond with each other because there are no other birds for them to bond with. Would you consider that homosexual behavior? They preen each other, feed each other, and may exhibit other mating behaviors. But, I don't see that as homosexual. I feel that they have no other outlet for these natural uncontrollable behaviors. Some of these bonds were broken when appropriate mates were introduced. If you must give this activity a word, then "homosexual" is probably a correct definition, but, I believe that humans are the only truly homosexual animals. Just my opinion.

They preen each other, feed each other, and may exhibit other mating behaviors. But, I don't see that as homosexual. . If you must give this activity a word, then "homosexual" is probably a correct definition,

I don't think that it is homosexuality. I agree with you that they have no other outlet for such behavior and that is why these bonds will broke when appropriate mates will be introduced.

I have seen documentary about homosexual mammals (apes, wolfs...) with male animals trying to have sex with other males and the result was that they were thrown out from the herd/pack. The explanation was that animals do have sex only for reproduction and not for fun/pleasure and therefor homosexual behavior was useless and unacceptable.

I think only if one parrot will try to have sex with the other that should be considered as homosexuality of that parrot, but if the other one will allow him having sex than it is a real homosexuality.

Suppose, will have to split discussion on gay and lesbian parrots.:)