NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just got a baby timneh grey.

I just got a baby timneh grey who I named Breezy. I also have a blue and gold macaw named Brutus who I have had for 18 years. Breezy is my first handfed timneh grey. I did have an imported timneh grey maybe 30 years ago. Me and my birds and husband all live up in central vermont. Hoping to learn a lot about greys here. Have done tons of research already on them but it can never hurt to learn more.

I just spoon fed Breezy some warm oatmeal mixed with apple sauce. Still acting like he would like to be fed but he should be weaning soon so decided to try the warm cereal. He was very satistfied with it and ate quite a bit. Then he jumped off his playgym and came on out to look for me so I cuddled him for a few minutes then put him in his cage as I need to clean up the kitchen next. He is eating pellets right now. A mix of Harrison's and pretty bird. He seems to like them both so just might continue to feed both of them. Going to see if he like romaine lettuce, peppers and shredded carrots later. He prefers fruit but he does need to start eating veggies and greens, too.

• Haha 1

Welcome, welcome, and congratulations on Breezy! I love that name. We share our lives with a 29 months old Timneh who came to live with us in September of this year. I'm completely besotted with the little squirt. Can't wait to hear all about your new baby and to see some photos. You've both landed in a wonderful place here. There's so much information in the various threads, and tons of wisdom and support from the members here. Looking forward to getting to know you and Breezy better. :)

Whenever Breezy wants a comfort feeding, you can try slipping a little of those yucky veggies into the yummy oatmeal. ];-> Just a little bit can help him get used to the smell & taste more easily. Might skip lettuces, though. Dandelions, kale, greens have more nutritional value. This is a very nice thread about Mash that you might find interesting, too.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?194243-Mash-amp-Chop

Just gave him a paper towel roll. He is having lots of fun shredding it. Had him out for some one on one time and training him not to explore with his beak too hard on my fingers. Blowing breath at him to get his attention and he stops. He never bites down hard. Already took the harder bites the first night he came home when we were getting friendly with each other. Not nearly as bad as a bite from my macaw so no big deal. The timnehs have cute tiny little beaks.

Well, Breezy's culture looks good. No gram negative activity. My vet will let it go till tomorrow to be absolutely sure but so far it looks really good and he is in great health. He is a very confident baby and went right onto the vets hand when I handed him to her. He is really friendly! Might not last but I am going to try to socialize him to people so he keeps that confidence.

Breezy is eating pellets. Going to make him another salad soon want to mix up the times I feed him a little later and earlier but not by much so he isnt on an absolutely rigid schedule. Uncovered him just a bit later today, too at 8:00. think he needs to catch up on sleep as did I as we have been all awake at 5:00 am every single day since he got here. Generally he hears us moving around and whistles at us till we uncover him. Brutus is out on her own gym and eating as well so will make up veggies for both of them.

Gave Breezy some dried fruit then left the bag on the table where his playstand is. Well, he climbed down, grabbed the bag in his beak climbed back up to his perch and took the twist tie off the bag with his beak and I caught him helping himself to more fruit. He is a pretty smart little bugger!

He is extremely smart. I got his toys today and he is having so much fun. His favorite toy was a freebie as a thanks for the order. It is an acrylic ring with a stone and in the center of the stone there is a silver teardrop embedded. He kept turning that thing over in his feet for the longest time just trying his best to get that silver sparkley thing out of the stone. He loves the orher toys too and he and my macaw just had the most fun night.