NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

House remodel

SRSeedBurners

We're getting new floors and new countertops. I'm wondering about the safety of the birds. I took a pic of the urethane they will be using. Anyone had their floors redone around their birds? Ours will be locked away in their own room but I'm not sure that's enough.

Although it will be a major PITA, I also have the option of moving them into the RV. Of course I will have to move in there with them. A bird sitter is another option but the only one I know of is the breeder where we got Greycie and that's a 2+ hour drive away. Plus the job is going to take around 5 days.

Bostik BST Urethane - wood flooring urethane adhesive

IMAG0604 (Small).jpg

If you can keep your greys in a different room from where the work is going to be done..and which has a window to give them some fresh air..then I guess it would be fine. Anyway, 5 days isn't too long. If theres no option, you cn just take them to your friend/neighbor/relative's place during the day and get them back home by night.

Defo on keeping your grey in a different room. The vapors could certainly be lethal. You will need to ensure those vapors are not in your room. If they are, then housing out in your RV or other place would be the safest.

The data sheet warnings:

WARNING:

Combustible liquid and vapor.

Harmful if swallowed. Inhaling vapors

harmful. May cause eye, skin and respiratory

tract irritation.

PRECAUTIONS:

Keep away from Sparks

and Flames. Do not smoke, extinguish all

flames and turn off stoves, heaters, electric

motors and other sources of ignition during

use and until all vapors are gone. Avoid

contact with mouth, eyes, skin and clothing.

Wear chemical resistant gloves and clothing

during handling. Avoid prolonged exposure

to vapors. Use with adequate ventilation.

Prevent build up of vapors by opening all

windows and doors to achieve cross-

ventilation. Wash thoroughly after handling.

Store container in a clean, dry area. Follow

all warnings and precautions with empty

container as residues may remain. Do

not reuse container without professional

cleaning.

FIRST AID:

If overcome by vapors, remove

to fresh air and call a physician. If necessary

give artificial respiration or oxygen. In case

of contact, immediately flush eyes and skin

with water and call a physician. If ingested,

DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Immediately

contact a hospital or poison control center.

Remove contaminated clothing to prevent

further exposure.

FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY. SEE MATERIAL

SAFETY DATA SHEET

We're getting new floors and new countertops. I'm wondering about the safety of the birds. I took a pic of the urethane they will be using. Anyone had their floors redone around their birds? Ours will be locked away in their own room but I'm not sure that's enough.

Although it will be a major PITA, I also have the option of moving them into the RV. Of course I will have to move in there with them. A bird sitter is another option but the only one I know of is the breeder where we got Greycie and that's a 2+ hour drive away. Plus the job is going to take around 5 days.

Bostik BST Urethane - wood flooring urethane adhesive

[ATTACH]24575[/ATTACH]

I know that the material being used is extremely toxic. Birds plus other animals would have to be removed. People need to be extremely careful. It's toxic to them too. The chemicals used in urethane adhessive ( no matter what brand) are extremely strong and most important of all, it may take a little more than 5 days to disappear. I've gone through the whole floor remodel thing. If you can move into an RV, fine but I would feel good bringing my birds to a breeder/vet/friend/neighbor/relatives. Think about that 2 1/2 hr trip. People drive more that to check out and or purchase birds. According to my calculations that would be about 135/150 miles. I need to travel that much to visit my son.