NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello fm Belgrade!

Grumpy

Hello to all grey parrot lovers from Belgrade, Serbia :)

I'm a first time owner of the bird, though have kept different birds so far, ranging from a small budgerigar to a sulphur crested cockatoo.

I have to say that I was in two minds wheather to take a CAG or a Blue Fronted Amazon ... the CAG being less noisy and more predictible prevailed, so for two days now I've been a proud owner of Cockey, a year old CAG, hand raised.

So far so good, couldn't expect to have a better bird for a starter.

Cockey has nothing to do with the name, since he/she is a rather docile bird, already well adjusted to the new surroundings.

I had the choice of choosing between two younger birds, only 4 months old, but was immediately attracted to this older one since he/she readily accepted my head scrtiches.

I really hope the bird will have a happy life in my home, sharing it with a dog, 3 persian cats, 5 canaries and 4 gouldian finches, not to mention 5 fish tanks with some exotic fish ...

Photo0925.jpg

Photo0916.jpg

Photo0919.jpg

Photo0937.jpg

Thank you all for your warm welcome :)

Btw Brat Birds, I am not grumpy at all, maybe just at times ... However the nick has been "stolen" from my previous bird, a red-fronted conure who one day accidentally flew away through the open window ... :(

Though he was a charming bird, the nick really suited him and was much more of a fierce dog, of the terrier breed, than a birdie ;)

Welcome to the forum. If you think you are in heaven now with Cockey, wait a year, it gets better all the time. You will find why we are a forum dedicated to the African Greys and welcoming to parrot companions of any species. Whenever I see your posts, I am going to smile at your nickname, Grumpy. I don't know why but it just gives me a little chuckle, good one. Your pictures of Cockey are lovely and he has certainly been well cared for and prepared for a home with you.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Cockey is a year old CAG, and I got him only last Thursday night, so it's only three days he's actually with me.

Obviously he has adjusted well, even no more scared of the cats and the dog, though still a bit alert ...

Here's him on his playstand playing with the newly introduced wind cacther ...

Photo0941.jpg

Photo0946.jpg

Photo0948.jpg

Zdravo Belgrad. Pozdrav od Skopje.

Hi Belgrade, greetings from Skopje Macedonia. I am also new on this forum and can tell you that forum members are GREAT. I have never seen such a dedication and positive energy regarding the CAGs on one place.

Your bird is nice and obviously well tamed. Where did you get it, from the pet shop of from the breeder?

Hi Skopje, hi Jovan!

I was warned to use English only, so we have to abide by our hosts' rules.

Yes, I've noticed how good this forum is and that the members are ready to help newcomers.

I got my bird from a breeder near Belgrade, namely from Batajnica.

Would never buy from a shop, not only because of the price, which is ususally twice as much as a normal one, but because of the way birds are ususally treated, better to say mistreated, there.

Though I came across a very nice senegal parrot in one of the pet shops whose owner I know personally, and was close to buy the bird, but have always wanted to have a grey ...

Greys are great :)

No, it was not the Krnjeta guy, another one, though my first bird, the cherry headed conure was from Sasha.

You probably got your Poly at a more reasonable price in Vojvodina, since majority of breeders are there ...

Btw, my first cockatoo, while working in Baghdad was called Polly.

Yeah, for me, Poly is "referent standard name" for a parrot :D

I don't know what I will do when (if) I will get Green winged Macaw (that I am considering for some time). Maybe Poly the Second or Poly JR will be in order:)

By the way, can you recommend me a breeder for a Macaw from Serbia?

He was 4 weeks old and I was feeding him with baby parrot formula, every few hours, mixing and shaking, feeding, cleaning, warming and all the repetitive stuff on the hourly basis. It was funny:) and not difficult at all.

He switched onto seeds and fresh food smoothly and with no problems and now he is smart, happy, dynamic and talkative "beast".

Hello Grumpy and welcome to our family.

You have a wonderful looking grey and he seems to be settling in nicely, looking forward to hearing and seeing a lot more of Cockney.

Thanks Judygram,

Yes he seems to be settling in nicely and has already been a bit stubborn in the way he doesn't like to be put back into his cage, and prefers having me in sight all the time ...

Brat Birds, you made me lough reading your "hormonal description" of your conure ;)

Yes, they are little rascals, but you can't help loving them.

Welcome, Grumpy! I'm behind on reading posts. It was delightful to catch up on this thread and to see the beautiful photos of your new companion. My recently adopted Timneh Grey is just a little past 2 years old, so it will be fun reading about your young one also as they grow older here together. Congratulations, you will have so much fun, many surprises, and never a boring moment. :D