NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What's your opinion on a possible new adoption of a 6 year old CAG

shane

Hi, I initially wanted a baby CAG... but I missed the opportunity.

I found a lady that has 8+ CAGS - she states that she had tried to run a pet shop, and a thrift store simultaneously and it was too difficult. She has one that is 6 years old. a female. that she said was the friendliest.

The picture didn't show any bands... She is from Queens NY. about 2 hours away from me.

do you think there is any risk in getting a bird from her.. a 6 year old bird? is that too old to build a bond with? She wants $1000 for any bird. that seemed high since the baby I was going to get was also $1100.

any thoughts? I'm excited and nervous at the same time. lol.

Shane, only you can decide if a 6-8 year old or a newly weaned grey is right for you. Regardless of what age a grey is there are always risks and rewards. There are no guarantees. Of course, you could always take the grey you choose to an avian vet for a wellness check up but that is always costly. As for whether $1,000 is too much, again that is up to you, in Washington State and Oregon State I am sure they are less expensive than say California or New York. What is a new life-long companion worth to you??? Good luck on your decision.

Very true..

Honestly, I think I rushed and posted before I really thought about it. LOL

I was so excited, but speaking to the lady on the phone made me feel somewhat hesitant. then add the fact that the bird was not banded.. and then add Queens NY to the mix. LOL

I just didn't want to get ripped off in any way... but yes you are right.. only I can answer that.. I got so excited. lol.

I can't address the cost because I don't know the answer. As luvparrots said, costs vary from state to state. I can say that 6 is not too old to develop a bond, I rehomed Timber at 5 last year (he is 6 now) and it has worked well for us. As was also pointed out, there are never any guarantees but that applies to a baby too. These birds have a lot of personality is the best way I can say it. Even among the forum members, you can see as you read that each bird is different. Different attitudes, different likes and dislikes, different in how much or how little they want to be handled etc. Good luck and happy hunting :)

Thanks Timbersmom. I found one that is 1 year old and very playful, so I wrote the person. 3 hour drive but If the parrot is still available, I'm going to go this week! lol.

If not available, I will visit Queens NY and see her parrots. :)

The others are right, only you can answer the question of how much you are willing to spend on a grey but either one of those you mentioned would be a wonderful addition and just so you know I chose to not have the band put on my grey as I have read of several that had problems with them, got it caught on something or it irritated them. Let us know what you find out and if you bring one of these home with you, if you do pictures please.